Author Topic: Prologue: The Eye Has It  (Read 12472 times)

Cindel

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Prologue: The Eye Has It
« on: June 08, 2009, 12:52:23 PM »
Somewhere along the road to Baldur's Gate...hopefully:

Quietly, you swim up from unconsciosness. After a moment of cloudiness, confusion sets in as you realize you have no idea what is going on. This is not where you remembered you last were, and judging from the stiffness of your tired muscles, that memory was several hours ago. You were on a road traveling to Baldur's Gate. You vaguely remember the aura that briefly surrounded you, then your mind surrendered to darkness.

Now, as your brain slowly begins to climb out further from the shadows, you realize that you are sitting on the bottom of a cramped steel cage, barely large enough to hold you. As you begin to gather your sense of presence, you take notice that there are others nearby. Around you are several small cages similar to yours, also containing blurry eyed victims, busy trying to shake off the effects of whatever knocked you all out.

It appears you are all gathered together in a small grove. You wonder briefly how far from the road you are, if indeed the road even remains in your vicinity. Glancing around, there seems to be nobody else present, such as a culprit guarding the cages. You and your fellow victims are alone. The only sounds you hear are the morning chirpings of a few birds as the forest around you begins to awaken.

Finally awake enough to begin to ascertain the situation at hand, you place your hands on your body, noticing that you are stripped of your equipment. Seeing no indication of a pile of belongings nearby, you start to fear the worse. Then you sense that familiar aura enveloping you again.

What is going on?

You turn to your new companions, wondering if any of them might offer an explanation.

[spoiler]Let's start by offering a description of what everybody sees as they look around. Then interaction can be thrown in. Throw knowledge(arcana) or knowledge(general) checks to identify the aura. Vellos, remember that you aren't included yet. [/spoiler]
My friends went to GenCon and all they brought back for me was this lousy signature...

Currently running: Sometimes You Can't Go Home

Sambo

• Monkey bussiness
  • I'm gonna make a supersonic man outta you!!
Re: Prologue: The Eye Has It
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 03:21:37 PM »
Scratching his head as he awakes from a mysteriously induced slumber, Garret looks around in slight dismay, wondering how he came to be here. Offering up a quick prayer to Yondalla and Bahaumt, he begins to contemplate the situation, wondering how he might escape. Perhaps one of his fellow prisoners might be able to shed some light on their predicament......and what of this strange aura he feels surrounding the area?? hmmmmm......closing his eys and saying his thanks to Bahaumt, he makes a few gestures of power and taps the knowledge of the ancient dragons , hoping to further undertand his surroundings....
[spoiler]Draconic Knowledge invocation is active. gives me plus 6 on all knowledge checks. Knowledge(Arcana)= 1d20 12=28[/spoiler]

"Hello?? Anyone else awake yet?? Bahaumt take whoever imprisoned us!" (looks around to see if anyone else is stirring)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 04:24:17 PM by Sambo »
we need a million cc's of squeem o' goblin, stat!!

Chovox

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Veritas Vos Liberabit
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 05:00:57 PM »
Iolair tenses and relaxes what muscles he can. "Argh...waylaid by bandits again," glancing around at the other cages, he starts to wonder what type of bandits these might be. "hm, hope we're not some troll's dinner. That would be most unpleasant."
"I hear you, friend. Any idea as to what overtook us, have you had a look at our captor or captors?"

[spoiler]Hey Cindel, are my soulmelds still active? If they are, I would like to unshape Rageclaws and start shaping Blink Shirt[/spoiler]

Madgeon

• Monkey bussiness
  • Let me sing you a song. Any requests?
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 06:24:28 PM »
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Wow! Let's see. . ., bites his pinky hard, Ouch! Nope, not dreaming, I think.
Well, I've been praying for some new material.
He looks up, El, you've got a weird sense of humor.
He looks at Chovox, Hey, buddy, hey...psts.

[spoiler]I've got knowledge Arcana 1d20+8=15 and Geography 1d20+6=15  [/spoiler] 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 08:27:18 PM by Madgeon »

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 08:17:13 PM »
Still a little dizzy from what happened with him, Hallate looks at himself, checking if he is still whole. "I'm fine, and can hear you..." Hallate tries to look around and see how many are there.
"How many are stuck here, anyway?"

Chovox

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Veritas Vos Liberabit
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 09:08:54 PM »
"Well, it appears 4 of us are awake at the very least...and I think I see one or two more cages from where I am."
Gripping the sides of his cage, he puts his muscles into action, trying to break out of his cage through brute force.
[spoiler]Strength check: 1d20+3=9 haha, wow I definitely did not eat my wheaties this morning...oh well, had to try. [/spoiler]

Failing in his endeavor, he takes in all he can about his surroundings.
[spoiler]Spot check 1d20+7=27Woot! Now we're cooking with gas.[/spoiler]

@Madgeon:
"Yes? Do you have something you wish to add to the situation? Are you able to extricate yourself?"

Madgeon

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 09:43:22 PM »
Smirks really big at Iolair and bites lower lip holding in laughter. Sits back and sighs.
Looks at Iolair. I'm sorry, no, I don't think I can extricate myself. I'll have to figure out some other way. Looks around at everyone. Hey, everyone, uh, we're not that far from the road, maybe a half mile. I've been through this grove before, and uh
I don't know if you feel weird or whatever, but the affect doesn't seem magical, and it is coming from this grove.

[spoiler]Strengh check: 1d20+2=3 He kicks at the bars, but only makes his feet sore. Clang, clang. Escape Artist (a desperate move?) 1d20+2=19 Um, no, the hips are definitely not getting through the bars.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 09:55:58 PM by Madgeon »

Cindel

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 11:10:30 PM »
There seems to be a shift of activity just to the north. It sounds like something could be approaching. Still slightly groggy, everybody has a little trouble determining what it is, or how big it is. But your ears can definitely detect something meandering through the brush.

A voice is heard: "Uh, Vil, it looks like the prisoners are starting to wake up. What do we tell the boss?"

@Chovox:
[spoiler]Your spot check reveals a figure just outside the grove, standing in a spot of thick underbrush.[/spoiler]
My friends went to GenCon and all they brought back for me was this lousy signature...

Chovox

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Veritas Vos Liberabit
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 11:52:00 PM »
Iolair waits patiently for his captors to reveal themselves, taking a mental note of the name he has just heard. Glancing around at his ensnared companions, he queries:"Has anyone seen my mug? I'm feeling a tad bit parched, some water would do me good right about now..."

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 11:56:59 PM »
Iolair waits patiently for his captors to reveal themselves, taking a mental note of the name he has just heard. Glancing around at his ensnared companions, he queries:"Has anyone seen my mug? I'm feeling a tad bit parched, some water would do me good right about now..."

"Should be near the rest of our stuff..."

Hallate sighs. "I wonder.... what are the chances of we leaving this place alive? I don't want to sound pessimistic, but I don't think we have much luck left..."

Cindel

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 12:09:57 AM »
Another voice is heard in reply to the first: "Great. That's all we need. Did you check to make sure all of the locks are tight?"

A heavy sigh is heard from the first voice: "Yes, Vil. I did. They aren't getting away. We checked their pockets and took everything they had on them."

"Good, good. Now get over here and help me with these ropes. I don't want this thing getting loose and killing the entire stock again like it did the other night."

You hear a rustling in the bushes, evidence that the first unseen figure is walking away. Then for a moment, silence, followed by a muffled yell, as if in panic.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 12:12:17 AM by Cindel »

Simadog

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 12:13:57 AM »
David grabs his head as the strange drug wares off what in the heck as my vision returns and i see and hear others talking about what is going on
"im awake now and what is going on? how is everyone feeling?"

[spoiler]feeling the aura again Knowledge (arcana) (1d20+3=12) and knowledge(general) (1d20+1=10) [/spoiler]

@Iolair:
if we can't find your mug I can create some water if u need some  

Cindel

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 12:18:36 AM »
@Simadog:
[spoiler]Creating water is useless at the moment. The aura you feel is an anti-magic field...[/spoiler]

Chovox

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Veritas Vos Liberabit
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 12:21:18 AM »
Hm, this definitely punches a hole in this proverb some priest from Calimshan fed me: 'Do good, and good will happen to you.' I was personally of the mindset that one should do good just for the sake of the thing, but it sure felt good thinking that the cosmos had my back. With how things have been going lately, I am seriously wondering about the veracity of that priest's claims."
Iolair smirks. "Ah well, I am satisfied with how I lived. If this is my moment of departure, I believe I can be content."
Muttering under his breath, he continues: "Not as content as if I had my mug though..."

@David(Simadog)
"I thank you for your kind offer, but the last time I lost access to the beast spirits, magic ceased to function as well."

@Everyone
"Well, if I am going to die, I would like to know the names of those I'm dying with. I'll start. I'm Iolair Ap Caayr, of the Ohjibwah tribe. He looks around with curiousity at the other prisoners.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 12:27:34 AM by Chovox »

Simadog

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 12:30:16 AM »
O well it was the thought that counts. Any one have a idea how to get out of these cages?

[spoiler]since there is no magic then no spells :([/spoiler]
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 01:23:53 AM by Simadog »

Simadog

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 01:20:18 AM »
I am David Shieldheart and I am a devoted servant awaiting the return of our god Amaunator

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 01:27:58 AM »
"The name is Hallate. Might the circunstances be different, I would say I'm pleased to make your acquaintance..."

Cindel

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 12:45:31 PM »
Everybody sees one figure, then another emerge from the bushes. Finally, two more appear, panic across each of their faces. They appear human, albeit a little dirtier than normal. Clad in what looks like various pieces of leather armor, it seems they are nothing more than common bandits.

One of them stops, eyes the cages, and speaks: "Vil, shouldn't we do something about the stock? If the boss finds out that we failed again, then..."

"No, leave them, Talon." The one called Vil speaks abruptly. "Get the equipment. We're leaving."

Talon stares at the cages a moment longer, lingering his eye on the dragon-born, then begins to walk across the grove to the southern edge. He bends over, reaches down, and lifts what appears to be a trap door covered in leaves and sheets of loose grass. He points to one of the cohorts and waves him over. "You. Get over here and start gathering this stuff. We're leaving."

Madgeon

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 07:21:34 PM »
Hm, this definitely punches a hole in this proverb some priest from Calimshan fed me: 'Do good, and good will happen to you.' I was personally of the mindset that one should do good just for the sake of the thing, but it sure felt good thinking that the cosmos had my back. With how things have been going lately, I am seriously wondering about the veracity of that priest's claims."
Iolair smirks. "Ah well, I am satisfied with how I lived. If this is my moment of departure, I believe I can be content."
Muttering under his breath, he continues: "Not as content as if I had my mug though..."

@David(Simadog)
"I thank you for your kind offer, but the last time I lost access to the beast spirits, magic ceased to function as well."

@Everyone
"Well, if I am going to die, I would like to know the names of those I'm dying with. I'll start. I'm Iolair Ap Caayr, of the Ohjibwah tribe. He looks around with curiousity at the other prisoners.

With his back to the bandits, staring gravely, he speaks calmly, yet loudly enough for everyone.
My name is Madgeon son of Parthal, or in my tongue Madgeon et Parthal - a clan of bards from the foothills south of here.
He turns his head slightly to observe what the captors are doing. He turns back to Iolair.
Iolair, the priest didn't tell you the whole proverb. "Do good, and good will happen to you. Do good, nevertheless, expecting nothing in return. A little spark despels the darkness, if for a brief moment it fufills its purpose." So, yes, your mindset confirms the nature of the proverb.
And, by the way, I have found the cosmos to be indifferent, but there is someone who always has your back. And she has allowed us this fate for some reason. . . well, anyways, as I said, it's good material to sing about if we get out of here alive. Otherwise
, looking around at everyone, I guess I am compelled to sing at all of our funerals. :lmao

Chovox

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Veritas Vos Liberabit
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 09:10:01 PM »
"Hey Talon, how about you don't gather that equipment, and you do something about us, 'The Stock'?"
Iolair addresses the bandit with a kind but serious expression,
"Unless of course, 'doing something' about the stock involves killing us, in which case, I'll pass."