Author Topic: Help with a Soulbow Archer  (Read 1913 times)

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Help with a Soulbow Archer
« on: June 07, 2009, 05:07:24 PM »
Character Creation Rules:
[spoiler]Starting level 13, 40PB. Max HP. WBL as normal.

If your character uses Persist Spell or takes levels in DweomerKeeper/Incantatrix/Shadowcraft Mage. They are too powerful. If they are a full caster with other PrCs, they are fine. If they can compete on that level, they are fine.

Polymorph doesn't exist. If you have an LA race you want to play, let me know and I'll tell you what it counts as/changes to reduce it's LA. Also tell me what you like about it and why you want it.

As for the plot. A crazy dungeon has appeared that ate several level 9-11 parties without a trace. You guys are people who want to look into this for whatever reason.

This dungeon is hardcore. It takes into account things like teleport/earthglide/X ray vision/ect. Instead of arbitrarily banning them like WLD or that one FR mountain.

Almost forgot: Feats: Two flaws at level 1 (technically optional, but whatever) two feats at level 1. One at every odd level after. Yes, Humans suck with this. But there are enough other races to choose from.[/spoiler]

I have a basic build, most feats, a couple other things done. I mostly want critiquing.

Whisper Gnome Ranger 1/Soulknife 2/Ranger +2/Soulbow 1/Horizon Walker 4/Soulbow +3 (Continuing Horizon Walker 3/Soulbow 4. I don't know about Epic, but i don't think the campaign is going into 21+)

Now, this gives me lots of feats. Currently...

1: Point Blank ShotPHB
1: Precise ShotPHB
3: Psionic ShotXPH
5: Psionic MeditationXPH
7: Zen ArcheryCW
9: Greater Psionic ShotXPH
11: Penetrating ShotPHB2
13: ??

Bonus feats look like this:
1: (Ranger) Track
2: (Soulknife) Wild Talent
2: (Soulknife) Weapon Focus: Mindblade
4: (Ranger) Combat Style: Rapid Shot
5: (Ranger) Endurance)
6: (Soulbow) Fell Shot
13: (Soulbow) Improved Precise Shot

Currently, this means that I have a to-hit of +22/+17/+12, +20/+20/+15/+10 if using rapid shot, +21/+21/+16/+11 if within 30'. I deal 1d6+9 damage, +1d6 shock for the first target in the line. So, i need to increase the damage. Having Manyshot means I can psionically focus for a +4d6 on the first attack and still have 3, albeit at +18/+18/+13. Or i can make a single touch attack to only the first guy in line. With my massive to-hit, that seems unneeded, but nice to have.

I am buying a Belt of Battle, a Periapt of Wisdom +6, A Cloak of Displacement (Minor) and +2 Glamered Mithral Chain Shirt. This leaves me with 30200, but it's easy enough to drop a +1 from the Armour and have enough for a +1 Splitting Longbow (32225). Is that investment worth it?

For stats, since i realize i haven't done those yet...

Str: 10(-2 Racial)
Dex: 15(+2 Racial) (+1)
Con: 14(+2 Racial)
Int: 14
Wis: 18 (+2) (+6 Magic)
Cha: 10(-2 Racial)

Thus, Wisdom is 26, +8. Is Monks Belt worth getting for the wisdom bonus to AC?

tl;dr? Basically, I need Equipment and more damage for a level 13 Soulbow.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 06:04:23 PM by Generic_PC »
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
Re: Help with a Soulbow Archer
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 06:21:30 PM »
Copy paste from our game's OOC thread:

A dip into the Targetteer Fighter variant from Dragon Magazine (or Crystalkeep :P) can get you Dex to damage with ranged attacks.

Shiba Protector (Oriental Adventures) adds Wis to both attack and damage :)

Kensai to get the Splitting enhancement on your mind arrows

EDIT: Even though it's gestalt, this might help somewhat. It incorporates some of the things I just mentioned: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4384.0
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 08:41:39 PM »
I can't see Shiba Protector in my copy of Oriental Adventures...

Kensai isn't a bad idea though. 3 levels...

Whisper Gnome Ranger 3/Soulknife 2/Soulbow 1/Horizon Walker 4/Soulbow 3/Kensai 3/Shiba Protector 1/Horizon Walker 3

Gives me Cavernous and Shifting Planar Terrain, Wis to hit and damage (twice) and Splitting on 4 mind arrows.

Does Shiba Protector lose a BAB? Is it worth it to move the level forward?
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

Nodaisho

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 09:03:09 PM »
Shiba Protector is a 3/4 BAB class, it is in the chapter with the different... clans? Like Dragon, Unicorn, Scorpion, those ones.

I would say it would be worth it to get Shiba Protector at least by the time the game starts, at 13th level. Another 8 to hit and damage seems worth the loss of one BAB and slowing down horizon walker progression a bit. Remember to take the Moonwarded Ranger instead of the normal one, as well. That gives you your wisdom to your AC, I'm not sure if it stacks with the monk's belt version, they are slightly different.
The more I see of people, the more I love my dog.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 09:47:13 PM »
Shiba Protector requires that I be a Human (Phoenix), which, being a Whisper Gnome, i am probably not. Do you think i can get Kaelik to waive the racial requirement?

The current build, prolonging Horizon Walker (and losing +4 to spot, MS and listen) is...

Whisper Gnome Ranger 1/Soulknife 2/Ranger +2/Soulbow 3/Kensai 3/Shiba Protector 1/Horizon Walker 1 (/Soulbow +1/Horizon Walker +6)

Notably, I can take 2 flaws and have loads of great fun not doing anything to my feats. Probably Non-Combatant and Weak-willed. Take Combat Expertise and Alertness, and buy Iron Will (which offsets Weak-willed 2/3rds of the way. That + my huge wisdom is enough, i think.)

I'll probably buy something to help get my MS back into the +30s.

Nodaisho

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 09:54:06 PM »
What is it about Whisper Gnomes that make them so great? Is there something that requires you to be one? If not, you could change it, that is a lot of benefit from that one class.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 09:56:24 PM »
It's moreso that i don't want to be human. Because Humans get an extra feat (Oh, joy) in a game where we already have more than most games get at level 11. Feats are never bad, especially for an Archer, but I'm running out of things to take. If I do become Human, i'll probably drop Weak-willed.

Actually, I might go Halfling. Yondalla's Sense, from Races of the Wild, adds my Wisdom Mod to initiative.

Moon-warded Ranger is probably a no-go, being from Dragon. (Dragon 340!)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 10:06:50 PM by Generic_PC »

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 02:16:36 AM »
I think Kaelik was okay with Dragon actually.

And you could always ask him to allow other races into Shiba Protector :)
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Nodaisho

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 03:16:37 AM »
He did, in the OOC thread. Kaelik said no.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 03:47:51 AM »
Yeah, just read that. Too bad :)

Personally I'd go with the Shiba Protector, but it's your call :)