Author Topic: OOC  (Read 23312 times)

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: OOC
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2009, 09:12:40 PM »
Kaelik, do you like that Kensai oath? I need SOME feedback on it, because I don't think it's all that good. (Although, it does get across my meaning in 2 sentences.)
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2009, 09:52:29 PM »
Unlike you, I don't care how it sounds. It's a very good idea for a Kensai oath. I understand the meaning, you understand the meaning, as far as I'm concerned, it's perfect.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: June 10, 2009, 10:00:31 PM »
K, great. I'm slapping it on my cahracter sheet, assuming i have witnesses and then forgetting about it until the game starts.
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

HeadofVecna

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #83 on: June 10, 2009, 11:27:31 PM »
Flay, here is a good place to look for spell choices. Too bad there's no DMM. That does wonderful things for melee clerics.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2009, 06:29:22 AM »
Well, there is no Persist.

Not sure about DMM(Quicken)...

EDIT: Or you could throw in some Ordained Champion for bonus feats and Quickened War domain spells :) (will cost you 2 CL though...)

EDIT2: Righteous Wrath of the Faithful is a pretty damn good spell :)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 06:44:20 AM by BowenSilverclaw »
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Nodaisho

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #85 on: June 11, 2009, 09:02:31 PM »
Okay, I am wondering about how I should prioritize my knowledge skills for Knowledge Devotion. I don't really know what monsters to expect to face, does anyone else know what types tend to be common at this level?
The more I see of people, the more I love my dog.

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: June 11, 2009, 10:24:34 PM »
Hurry up with those sheets guys. I really want to get started.

Oh, and if you have stat modifing items, put the modified stat in temp score, and the inherent in the normal slot.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 10:48:49 PM by Kaelik »

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2009, 10:31:30 PM »
Mine's finished.

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: June 11, 2009, 11:11:37 PM »
And a couple other things:

1) mans, you are last to post in the character sheet thread. Make a placeholder if you aren't finished, and then everyone can freely discuss each others sheets in the thread, and I don't have to be a dick about it.

2) Head, you have some Dragon Magazine feats, just to be clear, I have lots of books and they are generally approved unless I state otherwise, I have no idea what is in most Dragons. If you have something from Dragon, run it by me.

In this case, edit your post in the character sheet thread to have spoiler blocks of the two feats under it. I'll review them, and probably approve, seeing as how you are kinda gimped in your feat search being and all.

Also, what's Destructive Retribution or whatever? Where is it/what does it do?

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: June 11, 2009, 11:25:48 PM »
So, does anyone know what gear my 30200 gold should be spent on? I was gonna look through the MiC right now, but i thought i should ask for some ideas. Probably some Hide/MS bonus item, or armour enhancement.

Oh, and i'm gonna go check out Bunko's right now.

Kaelik, how do you feel about me buying Bracers of the Hunter from Secrets of Xen'drik?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 11:34:56 PM by Generic_PC »

Nodaisho

« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2009, 01:18:15 AM »
Generic, if you don't yet have a Collar of Umbral metamorphosis, that might be a good one. Up to 10 minutes a day of the dark creature template for 10,800gp. You can also get a 22,000gp version, if you want it on continuously.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: June 12, 2009, 01:56:59 AM »
Unfortunately not. Adding a permanant version to my Amulet of Wisdom +6 would cost another 36000, which probably isn't worth it. It might be though, depending on what kinds on bonuses they are. (If racial, i get a total of +2 MS +4 hide, +10 ft move speed, cold resistance 10 and superior low light vision, since the 60' darkvision is worse than the 120' darkvision i already have.)

Oh, is a +1 luck bonus to everything worth 25000 or whatever the Luckstone costs?

EDIT: Actually, apparently it is an unnamed bonus to Hide, MS, Move speed. thus, worth it. that'll pump my hide/ms into the ~35 range. but i need some stuff to drop. I can break the cloak of displacement into a Cloak of Stone (+5 Hide/MS competance, and meld with stone 1/day.), as well as getting enough money for this perma-collar to be mixed with my Amulet of +6 Wis.

Assuming I can combine items like it says in the DMG.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 02:02:21 AM by Generic_PC »

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: June 12, 2009, 02:06:39 AM »
1) Adding an extra item to a slot costs exactly nothing. First of all, what you did post made no sense under and set of rules, but even less under the rules I explicitly told everyone to use for items.

Core D&D:

36,000gp for +6 Wis
10,800gp for Collar of Umbral ect.
Cost of both on same item:
36,000 + 10,800 x 1.5 = about 52,000gp

Magic Item Compendium that I told everyone to use:
36,000gp for +6 Wis
10,800gp for Collar
Cost of both on same item:
36,000gp + 10,800 = 46,800gp

Luckstone is 20k I think.

Don't have Secrets. What's it do?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 02:08:26 AM by Kaelik »

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: June 12, 2009, 02:33:29 AM »
+5 competence bonus on Hide checks, +2 competence bonus on initiative checks and +1d6 damage to sneak attack or sudden strike, For Bracers of the Hunter (8500)

But, with the collar of Umbral Metamorphosis, continous, i don't really need it.

So, i have 700 gold left, and my magic items are...

+1 Glamered Mithral Chain Shirt for 4800
Cloak of Minor Displacement and Stone (20% miss chance, +5 competence Hide/MS, Meld with Stone 1/day) for 32000
Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis (Permanant) and Periapt of Wisdom +6 (+6 Enhancement Bonus to Wisdom, +8 to Hide, +6 to MS, +10' movement, 10 cold resistance, superior low-light, 60' darkvision, Hide In Plain Sight) for 58000
Belt of Battle for 12000
Ring of Sustenance for 2500

Not too bad. Not too bad at all. It also raises my hide modifier up to +41 and my MS modifier up to +35.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 02:37:10 AM by Generic_PC »

Nodaisho

« Reply #94 on: June 12, 2009, 04:50:21 AM »
I'm getting close, I just haven't gotten much done since I posted my sheet. Any input on what I creatures I should take knowledge ranks on for Knowledge Devotion?

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: June 12, 2009, 05:09:01 AM »
Well as your DM and a very well informed and incredibly biased party, my advice is:

*  Arcana (ancient mysteries, magic traditions, arcane symbols, cryptic phrases, constructs, dragons, magical beasts)

Pretty useful, dragons are strong with all good saves, so damage is usually a good way to kill them, and you usually need the extra damage. Constructs are even more rare, but since most have DR, you are probably going to want lots of damage per hit unless you can bypass the DR. In my experience though, constructs are more common in dungeons, because a dungeon implies someone building the damn thing, and when faced with corralling some creatures vs creating some obedient constructs, that second one has a lot of advantages.

Magical beasts are pretty meh, you can kill em pretty easily except when you can't, there's not much to say about them as a group.

* Dungeoneering (aberrations, caverns, oozes, spelunking)

Aberrations are going to be more common then some campaigns, seeing as you are going to be all in a dungeon and such.

* Local (legends, personalities, inhabitants, laws, customs, traditions, humanoids)

Ignore this. NPCs take a lot of damn work to make, so I'm not going to make too many humanoids, not to mention I could create a monster with class levels and and more HD for the same CR. You might run into the odd Kobolds or Goblins, but it's usually not an issue to stack up the damage against them since they have class levels and one of their saves is going to be a single digit number.

* Nature (animals, fey, giants, monstrous humanoids, plants, seasons and cycles, weather, vermin)

Lots of shit here, and while most of it doesn't seem to fit in dungeons, the sheer variety of stuff, even within each category, means you are sure to see some of these come up. Compared to Arcana probably don't take it. Compared to Dungeoneering, tough choice.

* Religion (gods and goddesses, mythic history, ecclesiastic tradition, holy symbols, undead)

You will face undead. Not often enough and not challenging enough for you to wish you had put a bunch of ranks in this.

* The planes (the Inner Planes, the Outer Planes, the Astral Plane, the Ethereal Plane, outsiders, elementals, magic related to the planes)

This should have enough ranks to make the check for maximum damage on a 2, or you should have max ranks. You should probably have max ranks anyway, for identifying them. These are the most common and most dangerous of all enemies.

If you don't have max ranks in this, I will turn everything you would have fought into a fiendish or half fiend version of itself just to spite you. And I'll replace all the constructs with Bound Demons.

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: June 12, 2009, 05:24:17 AM »
Also, good time to mention a houserule of play instead of character creation.

Knowledge checks to identify: Based on CR not HD.

Also, I'll tell you a bunch of stuff about what you face depending on the check, but as with all DMs that's mostly ad hoc. However, I'll probably tell you more than most, in my experience, DMs will do some bullshit where if you hit the check they tell you it's a troll, and if you exceed by 5 they tell you one of the lines in it's entry (IE DR X/Y, or Regeneration X/Y and Z, or Immunity to X). Which is frankly, bullshit. If they make the check and you tell them, "It's a troll" then you are a dick, because you actually gave their character zero information, but them a lot. And I personally apply my OOC knowledge to the character, because if my character made the check, he goddam knows something.

So for example, because it doesn't matter: Troll

You make the DC 15 knowledge check (CR not HD) you get:
This is a troll, known for it's spectacular regeneration, it is often defeated with fire. But they are known to maul enemies up close.

DC 20:
[Regeneration 5 defeated by fire and acid but fluffed up]. Trolls often prefer dark environments where they can employ their favorite tactic of surprise attacking an opponent from close range.

DC 30:
[As above, but mention the rend]

DC 35:
At this point, I just tell you to look at the stat block and assume you know everything including the exact numbers.

Note that I try to avoid using the word pounce, that is because I try to use words like pounce/regeneration ect as explicit code words for the ability whenever possible. If I say, "Immune" they are really immune, not just resistant. That doesn't mean I'll always use the code word, but it means I'll try very hard to not use an explicit game term when describing a creature that does not have it.

HeadofVecna

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #97 on: June 12, 2009, 07:05:51 AM »
My sheet is updated with linky links for the Dragon mag stuff. She should be all done but the fluff.

The short version of her fluff is having her daughter killed by predators drove Wraethlyr's momma insane. So she got her tyke raised as a lich, which did nothing to improve W.'s disposition. Now W. is out to acquire her own hoard so she can move out from momma's wing in style. And due to cloying draconic momishness W. is willing to use a bunch of fuzzy mammalian breathers to accomplish the task.

OK, to have Wraetlyr's phylactery with her mom? The idea is that way it would be pretty safe, but W. would always wind up in the same sized scrawny body rather than trading up.

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: June 12, 2009, 07:25:31 AM »
Not sure what you mean by trading up, I thought with the whole Dracolich thing it was basically impossible to get a better body than your own, so it pays to do corpse runs.

Wanna give me the lowdown on Draco stuff?

Also, it's fine with Mom, that's what I'd expect.

All that stuff is fine. Don't know why you'd want a ring instead of anklets of speed or the like, but your choice. I was wondering what the Fire was based on, but figured it had to do with the gauntlets somehow. Will put up a custom plot hook in divinations. Be sure to check it out and think up your free div + anything you got.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 07:30:50 AM by Kaelik »

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: June 12, 2009, 07:51:10 AM »
Almost done, just need to figure out 1 or 2 feats and 1 power, that's about it :)

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol