Author Topic: Major Board Changes Coming  (Read 30325 times)

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
Major Board Changes Coming
« on: June 05, 2009, 04:04:38 PM »
We are going to roll out some major changes soon, to coincide with our "Season 3" of the podcast, which is also going to have a few changes.

A preview:

1) Rules change-- the overall principles of the boards will change.  We've gotten a better idea in our mind as to what is ok and what isn't and have found ways to clarify that.  In short, we want people here who contribute and who don't reflect badly on us.  The overwhelming majority of you are fine and won't be affected.  It's more to help prevent problems going forward.

2) The look of the boards will change.  We're looking for a new SMF theme.  Hopefully functionality will all stay the same, but just the colors and maybe icons will be different.

3) Some of the boards may change- get reorganized, be condensed, etc.  Totally open to suggestions on this.  

4) Fu is going to change.  Dramatically.  I was ready to just nix it.  We're going to keep it, but change it.  And start over.

If you have suggestions for any of the items, let us know.  A lot has been figured out already, but if you have any questions or major concerns, by all means, let us know.  
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 01:14:30 PM by Prime32 »
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Re: Discussion on Gameology-fu **Now with shiny new Poll!**
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 04:15:43 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the "official" fu thread or not, but I'll post here in repsonse to what Meg recently said in a sticky regarding board change:

4) Fu is going to change.  Dramatically.  I was ready to just nix it.  We're going to keep it, but change it.  And start over.
So, what are the new fu rules?  Have you decided yet how it will work?

And it looks like we're all going back to zero...
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 04:19:18 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the "official" fu thread or not, but I'll post here in repsonse to what Meg recently said in a sticky regarding board change:

4) Fu is going to change.  Dramatically.  I was ready to just nix it.  We're going to keep it, but change it.  And start over.
So, what are the new fu rules?  Have you decided yet how it will work?

And it looks like we're all going back to zero...

I have no problems with restarting my Fu count. A good half of it was from SoA's game thread, and that flopped (proving I don't exactly deserve it).

Then again, I never paid attention to it to begin with.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 04:21:33 PM »
I don't know how much we're allowed to say yet, but since Meg did announce it, yes, we'll all be starting over at 0. Which, honestly, I'm in agreement with SiFir about. I don't mind starting over and having a "fresh slate" so to speak.
There will be changes to just about everything -fu related, though.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 04:26:58 PM »
I guess I wonder if we even need or want it anymore.  With all of the trouble and drama it caused in the past, so long as you're making such a drastic change, why not just be rid of it?

I don't know what exactly the changes will entail, but I imagine it (as any system) can still be abused in some way or another.  My vote would be just to drop it entirely.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

Dan2

• Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 04:39:38 PM »
I think the idea is that Meg and the other BGs would like to see good posters and good ideas rewarded.
If a new poster signs up, it quickly presents a sort of reputation.
Ideally, the system works perfectly, karma is always awarded appropriately, and new guys have people to pose questions to or take advice from.

With the new rules and (hopefully) attitude of the boards, I would not be opposed to dropping the karma system.
However, if you take the BG's advice and "assume success" and work backward, the karma system is still a part of the boards.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: Major Board Changes Coming
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 04:58:39 PM »
2) The look of the boards will change.  We're looking for a new SMF theme.  Hopefully functionality will all stay the same, but just the colors and maybe icons will be different.
Be careful. Usually, everything is part of the theme.[spoiler]Including this.[/spoiler]

3) Some of the boards may change- get reorganized, be condensed, etc.  Totally open to suggestions on this.
"Playing With Everything" gets hardly any posts - maybe it could be turned into a "fluff" board? (because I'm not sure where to post that kind of stuff at present) The line between "When Inspiration Strikes" and "House Rules & Creations" has been rather blurry (dman's PrC contest is in WIS, while media-based stuff often ends up in HRC simply because it will get more feedback).
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 05:02:56 PM »
2) The look of the boards will change.  We're looking for a new SMF theme.  Hopefully functionality will all stay the same, but just the colors and maybe icons will be different.
Be careful. Usually, everything is part of the theme.[spoiler]Including this.[/spoiler]
Spoilers were my first concern too.  They seem to be the first thing to break on every board for some reason...
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Meg

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 05:05:04 PM »
Could you expand on fluff?  What is it that you are finding doesn't have a nice easy place to go?  

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Meg

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 05:06:07 PM »
We would have to reinstall hacks like spoilers (and karma) by changing the theme.  We're prepared for that.  We're going to install the theme, once we choose it, on a test board to make sure other features still work.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 05:07:45 PM »
We're prepared for that.  We're going to install the theme, once we choose it, on a test board to make sure other features still work.
Oh cool.  I was going to ask if you could test these things first, but I didn't realize you had a test board.

Good luck!  Hopefully it's not a huge headache. :D
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 05:10:38 PM by RobbyPants »
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Meg

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 05:09:54 PM »
Moved fu discussion here so all talk about changes can be in 1 place.

We're not completely decided on fu- just that it will change, the scope will change, and it will be reset.

I'm looking to see if it is possible to have positive only.  Not even sure if it's doable, or if we want to do it, but it's a thought. 

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 05:10:46 PM »
Is the BLYHT board staying?  I remember at one point it was an experiment, but discussion about it seemed to drop off.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Meg

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 05:12:00 PM »
Probably not.

I like the idea of a board only accessible at a certain level though, but would like to be more creative about it.  And I want to cut down on the overall "support" of negativity. 

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 05:16:19 PM »
I'm looking to see if it is possible to have positive only.  Not even sure if it's doable, or if we want to do it, but it's a thought. 
I seem to remember that being discussed before.

It has its merits.  It should (hopefully) remove most petty drama.  It may or may not be an accurate reflection if you have a poster with a mix of good and bad advice.  I've both seen posters who start quite ignorant and then change to giving great advice as well as posters who start out brilliant and then start offering really odd or bad advice.

If the fu is supposed to be a metric for new posters, so they know who to ask, it might seem like keeping negative fu would be a good thing.

Probably not.

I like the idea of a board only accessible at a certain level though, but would like to be more creative about it.  And I want to cut down on the overall "support" of negativity. 
Are all the threads therein getting killed?  I can see cutting down on overall negativity.  Could we, instead, have a set of rules, so we know what's "off limits" to complain about?  I noticed you mentioning not bad-mouthing/gossiping about others not on these boards.  Perhaps we could keep the board, but get rid of the more negative threads.

...although I suppose complaining in general could get lumped into some type of rec-room thread (Off Topic Fun?) too.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 05:23:23 PM »
Is the BLYHT board staying?  I remember at one point it was an experiment, but discussion about it seemed to drop off.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's 'BLYHT'?
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 05:26:44 PM »

Forgive my ignorance, but what's 'BLYHT'?
Bitch Like You Have To.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2009, 05:43:28 PM »
Could you expand on fluff?  What is it that you are finding doesn't have a nice easy place to go?  
I have two threads for campaign settings in different boards. If someone wants to write up the background for an organisation or something, where do they put it?
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2009, 05:45:48 PM »
I have to agree with Prime. I have a campaign setting for Savage Worlds I'm working on and I put the initial one in GM Gameology (as have some others) but it seems like it should be better suited elsewhere. But where?
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2009, 06:01:36 PM »
Question: would it be wise to make a backup from every project we have here? (Handbooks, homebrew stuff...)