Author Topic: Primeval and being awesome.  (Read 11886 times)

Khorus

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • TPK FTW!
Primeval and being awesome.
« on: June 04, 2009, 12:02:28 PM »
Ok So I was thinking about making a really really strong character and taking advantage of all the good str based dc checks. Here is what I have so far.

Barbarian Lion Totem Variant(CC). Pounce lvl one and go to lvl 7 to get a roar that is 10+1/2 barb lvl+str mod.
Three Mountain Style(CW). Hitting twice with a bludgeoning weapon sickens your target (great club, mace, and one other blunt weapon)

Primeval form that would work best for this would be a dire ape dual wielding Maces.

This isn't really optimized due to the low number of PForms a day we have. Can any one think of a better way to do this? Bear warrior is almost as good but doesn't get the uber amount of str and lacks thumbs.

Also there is a dire vulture in sand storm that does shennigans with a con based stench attack. More on that later.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Primeval and being awesome.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 12:14:35 PM »
Nab a psychoactive skin of proteus? Constant metamorphosis effect, so you can find some low-HD/high-Str forms, and go to town. Of course, if 'primeval' is a template, you'll lose it when metamorphosis'd, but I suppose sacrifices must be made.

Try being a thri-kreen (with LA-buyoff, of course), nab some war mind levels, multiwield clubs, and get stuff like strength of my enemy, the Illithid Grapple feat (x4, from CPsi, for some bludgeoning tentacle attacks), and form of doom for some extra tentacles.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 12:27:15 PM »
Primeval is a PrC from Frostburn, Lycan ;)

It's kinda like a limited Wild Shape PrC that grants your animal form extra Str, Con and NA among other things.
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Khorus

• TPK FTW!
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 12:34:52 PM »

Khorus

• TPK FTW!
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 12:37:53 PM »
Really a neat class I've always wanted to play one, most people go WS Ranger 5/ Fist of the Forest 3/ then Primeval 10.

I think Barb would be better less uses but more awesome lol.

Does say can use WS to assume your PF so, phouyoayf of change or the above mentioned skin would be amazing for them lol. especially since padfoaydf of Change is 24 hour duration. So PF for 24 hours, YES PLZ. lol artificer X to meet prereqs make pimp gear and then PF and own face.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 12:39:30 PM by Khorus »

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 12:54:14 PM »
Divine Minion template + LA buyback and the Extra Wild Shape feat should get you enough uses per day :P
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Khorus

• TPK FTW!
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 12:58:34 PM »
dm we play with won't let divine minion slide but would totally let me make the ljhfo;aidf of change. He doesn't like templates for whatever reason.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 01:58:00 PM »
I've found Bear Totem Barbarian works great, as you get Toughness for free, and Great Fortitude.  So you can qualify for Primeval and Fist of the Forest more easily.  Unarmed Swordsage and Ranger and you're all set.  Don't forget to nab Animal Devotion once or twice for more strength and/or flight.  And you might have enough levels left for Warshaper 2 if you're lucky. ;)
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 02:34:46 PM »
I've found Bear Totem Barbarian works great, as you get Toughness for free, and Great Fortitude.  So you can qualify for Primeval and Fist of the Forest more easily.
Is two bonus feats really worth giving up Pounce and Uncanny Dodge?
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Khorus

• TPK FTW!
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 02:41:40 PM »
Ya don't wanna give up pounce and the Roar, cuz roar plus Imp Command = Fun. Working in Fist of the Forest though is much easier your way I agree.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 03:04:21 PM »
But pounce can get gotten through multiple other ways.  Dire Lion primeval form probably being one of the best ways to do it.  Then with a dip into Warblade for Weapon Aptitude (or 2 levels if you want Uncanny Dodge), hopefully your DM will let you apply the Three Mountain Style feat to your claws or unarmed strike.

Khorus

• TPK FTW!
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 04:19:00 PM »
Bludgeoning in the description so I doubt it, there is a way to do pounce with light slashing weapons. I was thinking dire ape wielding a great club is just scary.

Khorus

• TPK FTW!
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 04:35:23 PM »
Storm of Flying Strikes
Type: Style
Source: Stormwrack
You have mastered fighting with two weapons to force your enemy off balance.
Prerequisite: Str 15, Improved Bull Rush, Power Attack, Two-Weapon Fighting, base attack bonus +6.
Benefit: You can use Power Attack and a number of successive blows to knock down your foes. To use the Storm of Flying Strikes, you must sacrifice at least five points of base attack using the Power Attack feat and hit your opponent more than once in the same round. If you succeed, your opponent must make a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + your Strength modifier + the number of times you hit your opponent in the round) or be knocked prone at the end of your attacks. Bonuses for stability apply to this saving throw. Storm of Flying Strikes has no effect on an opponent who is already prone.

THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT WHOOT :)

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 04:56:05 PM »
Well unarmed strikes are bludgeoning weapons after all.  And the nice thing about the Weapon Aptitude ability is it lets you change out what weapons work with which feats, so it should be allowed.

And knocking people prone isn't that big of a deal really.  The wizard can still destroy you even if he is laying down after all.  This build will probably be feat starved as it is, so Storm of Flying Strikes might not be the best investment.

Finally, over at 339 there is a pretty good Primeval handbook.  I'd recommend checking that out.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 11:50:03 PM »
Storm of Flying Strikes
Type: Style
Source: Stormwrack

THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT WHOOT :)
What page is that? I don't recall ever seeing it...
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Khorus

• TPK FTW!
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 09:43:04 AM »
I went home and searched for it so I guess the website I found the above info on is faulty. Digging a little  bit deeper I found it is from a dragon mag (don't have the number).

gagnrath

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2009, 04:25:04 AM »
Made a feral neanderthrall primeaval druid/barbabrian/fighter,  I honestly wasn't feat starved so much as skillpoint starved.  I ended up with about a 33 stregnth before shifting but had no int or cha,  I really do need to find that character sheet.   Ended up the party just started pointing me in the badguy's direction and said lug smash.    Because our DM is retarted we don't make god casters anymore. pretty much once we do he just comes up with some completely off the wall way to say magic doesn't work right here.