Author Topic: Interpretation Question  (Read 1777 times)

Jguy

• Monkey bussiness
Interpretation Question
« on: June 02, 2009, 09:55:10 PM »
Okay, I have a question with how the rules can be interpreted with this combo.

Now the Chaining metamagic feat allows a spell to be bounced around multiple targets, one for each caster level, as long as the spell is longer than touch. Now the prestige class Hierophant has an ability called Divine Reach, allowing you to use touch spells at a range of 30 feet. Does this mean I can chain touch spells?

I ask this because I can buff the entire party with spells like Magic Vestment and Magic Weapon, Greater with just one spell each. It also turns some touch spells into mass destruction against certain foes.

So does this work or should I just ask my DM for his view (since it will be enforced regardless)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Re: Interpretation Question
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 11:54:30 PM »
Don't ask with this one, the ability isn't supposed to work (but does). Chain Spell shouldn't be allowed to work with Rays or Ranged Touch spells, otherwise you get shenanigans like Chain Disintegrate (which gets stupid when you realize it can target objects).

Instead, I suggest using War Weaver and Southern Magician (Heroes of Battle PrC and a feat from Magic of Faerun). That works a lot better, though it requires some MAD.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Jguy

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 12:04:19 AM »
I'll have to talk to my DM about it. I have already found some broken things to do with a Chaining Metamagic Rod (greater) to become a buffer that breaks the game.

Some are: Foresight, Freedom of Movement, Energy Immunity, Girillians Blessing (just for giggles), Resistance Superior, Magic Vestment, Magic Weapon Greater

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 11:43:12 AM »
I'll have to talk to my DM about it. I have already found some broken things to do with a Chaining Metamagic Rod (greater) to become a buffer that breaks the game.

Some are: Foresight, Freedom of Movement, Energy Immunity, Girillians Blessing (just for giggles), Resistance Superior, Magic Vestment, Magic Weapon Greater

Most of those can be used through Eldritch Weave (I think two of them are above the 4th/5th level limit, but that's it), so it's actually a less cheesey to use the PrC than the Chain spell feat/rod (and more effective, as you aren't paying an absurd amount for this ability, which is usable almost at will).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 02:53:43 PM »
I use the Chain-Reach combo. I think that it should work, and my DM okayed it. Anyway, it's not like I'd be left wanting for power if I were unable to do it anymore.