Author Topic: I need to ground flyers....7th level wizard.  (Read 2494 times)

brislove

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
I need to ground flyers....7th level wizard.
« on: May 30, 2008, 03:48:25 AM »
So I'm 7th level, banned evocation, and I need to deal with flyer's (not many, maybe 1 or 2). Wyvren's probably.

Bands of steel should work decently, if they can't move they should fall (correct me if I'm wrong on this one.

What other good spell options are available to me?

Edit: I should have said Ground, updated the title.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 04:59:21 AM by brislove »

blargney the second

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Red Hot Swing
Re: I need to drop flyers....7th level wizard.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 04:15:00 AM »
Slow is a good option against fliers, as are blindness and glitterdust.  Readied actions rock.  For laughs, pop a feather token: tree right in its path. :)

Edit: Man, how did I forget this one: solid fog with no save, no SR ftw.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 04:18:36 AM by blargney the second »

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
Re: I need to drop flyers....7th level wizard.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 04:49:31 AM »
If by "drop" you simply mean "ground" EARTHBIND from the spell compendium pg76 is a level 2 transmutation spell with medium range that will do this if you can beat their fort save.  Stunning also does wonders (Orb of Fire).  Bands of steel indeed never hurts as most things have better fort saves than reflex saves.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

brislove

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
Re: I need to ground flyers....7th level wizard.
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 02:45:30 PM »
sigh, I was hoping there was something out there that would cause falling damage from a 2nd/3rd level slot. I guess bands of steel is pretty much the way to go. I'll probably prep a couple earth binds as well.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 06:01:28 PM »
If it is flying low enough, won't Web do? Use it as one of your anchor points and watch it hit the ground after it gets entangled.

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 08:20:03 PM »
Deep Slumber and Suggestion both work; the latter requires you to speak Draconic. Just suggest that he land and fight you. It's not harmful, just disadvantageous.

Any two movement debuffs will probably get them to stall; Glitterdust + Slow is probably enough (remember, blind creatures move at 1/2 speed). Include Stinking Cloud in your list of options here; nausea is a very nasty effect.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 08:21:49 PM by Callix »
I know gameology-fu.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 08:39:30 PM »
Orb of fire dazes. But taking no actions will make them fall if they have to maintain a minimum flying speed.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 09:19:00 PM »
You could always cast Truestrike, then use a Lesser Rod of Maximizing, and cast Icelance at it. Just make sure you pump up the DC on the save, and that wyvern will take 36 damage plus be stunned for 4 rounds. This option's kinda costly, but it's another one to have.