Author Topic: Scout Sniper (most damage 1 shot)  (Read 7251 times)

Naldor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Re: Scout Sniper (most damage 1 shot)
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2009, 04:18:12 PM »
One magic item you should consider if you've got 22k GP to drop is a greater collar of umbral metamorphasis.  It's from Tome of Magic, and gives +8 hide / move silent AND grants you Hide in plain sight.  Couple that with an item familiar to boost your hide check to obscene levels.  Then use the snipe function of Hide to make one attack / round with OotBI to boost your damage.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2009, 05:13:15 PM »
Nah, +5d8 isn't really worth 10 levels of stuff. See if your dm will allow the reworked Arcane Archer. That'd work.

ReaderOfPosts

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2009, 05:50:49 PM »
Especially since OOtBI damage only applies to a special single shot taken as a standard action.

Pyrefox

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2009, 09:03:34 PM »
David, I'll take a look at Woodland Archer. Also, that Death Attack, if ranged, could do the trick, but then I'd have to look for stuff to reduce the chances the target would resist it.

Ok.. so MIC stuff will help. ReaderOfPosts, can you point out where are those 3 things? - About the Greater Psionic Shot, it's an option if I can get all the feats. If I need 5 other feats and 3 in order to do the Great Shot, it's 8... It's not impossible to have 8 feats, just high level, but what your point is valid, I'll go for what gives me faster damage increases, and those feats are not so fast.

Hallack, is the Order of the Bow Initiate that Prc that has something like an "aimed shot"? That you need to wait then shot for more damage dice? If it is, then it's part of the build :3 But as I said, I won't consider getting to 10th level of that class unless I start retraining my damage feats for something that makes the death arrow more effective.

If we include Greater Psionic shot, this is going to end up as fairly feat intensive, but you'll be able to roll a lot of dice.
Solo, that's the idea! :3 Where are thoise Sneak Attack buffs from? (cept for the spell based ones). Also, what's Swift Hunter Handbook? o_o'

Naldor, I love this thing: Greater Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis. That really helps the second part of the combo. I'm still thinking of how the Skill Trick: Mosquito Bite would work along with sniping... (that's from Complete Scoundrel, I guess).

Especially since OOtBI damage only applies to a special single shot taken as a standard action.
Does this mean the OotBI damage won't stack with many other damage increases? (such as Sneak Attack)

ReaderOfPosts

• Email
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2009, 09:50:01 PM »
Does this mean the OotBI damage won't stack with many other damage increases? (such as Sneak Attack)

Pyrefox

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2009, 07:29:18 AM »
It means you won't be able to get both it and Greater Many Shot
Why not, spending Psionic Focus doesn't require any action. o_o

Also, thanks for the items locations ;D

About the Collar, I agree, this item is awesome!!

And about those spells.. I don't really plan to get any spellcaster levels, but just for the sake of the "Max" in this forum's title, let's consider them to see how powerful our sniper will be. They're both 1st level spells? (did you mention swift action??)

ReaderOfPosts

• Email
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2009, 08:22:20 AM »
The it I was referring to was the precision damage from Order of the Bow Initiate, which is entirely worthless in a Greater Manyshot build (And honestly, kind of entirely worthless in general). You're much better off going straight rogue (or maybe even swashbuckler and pick up daring outlaw to get the better BAB and keep the sneak attack). The spells are all swift action first level spells (And if multiclassing penalties aren't being ignored, the Unearthed Arcana Variant Wizard is your only chance to pull the combo off before 12th level. Even without it, the spells are certainly worth a point of BAB).
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 03:30:12 PM by ReaderOfPosts »

Pyrefox

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2009, 12:45:08 AM »
I'll look carefully all the posts here and make an attempt at building the character at lvls 4, 8, 12, 16 and 20.

I'll post it here when I have it done. :3

gagnrath

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2009, 04:28:21 AM »
I'm also really really amazed that no one has mentioned any swifthunter addins.   Its a weird feat that you have to have both scout and ranger to use, but it essentially gives you extra skirmish damage.

Pyrefox

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2009, 02:30:44 AM »
what would these addins be? <:
I'm still interested.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2009, 02:40:15 AM »
Swift hunter basically gives you the benefits of Ranger bonus feats and high base attack bonus, while still receiving skirmish OR you can take most of the scout abilities while still getting full Favored Enemy progression.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2009, 03:45:50 AM »
There are several cheap items in the MIC that add a few d6's of damage to your attacks. As already mentioned, the weapon crystals, as well as a piercer cloak, and gauntlets of giantfelling.

Also, if you have a power point reserve, a deep crystal bow (or possibly arrows). Best if it's an elvencrafted bow of the wintermoon (with ways to increase your Strength modifier).

Psychic warriors make pretty darned decent archers. Even without strength of my enemy, I managed to get something like 9d6+3 points of damage on a single shot at level 5, and the only cost to do so was a few charges on X/day items, and two power points. And more shots can be made with a full attack action (though they won't all do quite as much damage).
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2009, 12:32:27 PM »
True, Psionic Shot + Deep Crystal Bow + stuff is good.

Hey try out Soulbow. Wisdom to attack and damage.

Pyrefox

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2009, 09:07:50 PM »
Soulbow would require Soulknife levels, right? o.o

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2009, 09:10:46 PM »
A minimum of two Soulknife levels, in fact.

El Magnifeco

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2009, 09:37:49 AM »
Has anyone mentioned the Scout Sniper's Shot variant? Was in a Dragon Magasine I believe, and is certainly up on Crystal Keep. From what I remeber its not that great but might be useful somehow.

Pyrefox

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2009, 04:21:18 PM »
I think I'm editting the topic so I can make it Rogue based... it seems much better for sniping. If we can add a few tricks to keep sneak attacking even during close combat, it's a perfect striker.