Author Topic: Someone should start a Naruto game  (Read 17453 times)

ArcaneJazz

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Re: Someone should start a Naruto game
« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2009, 03:28:20 PM »
Suddenly, I want to join this.... but I guess there's 10+ ppl already interested, right?

Dude I dont even know, haha. Honestly, Naruto is a system that can handle a huge number of players... but it would take more work than I think I am willing or capable of >_< But if there were more DMs and I didnt have a realworld life (that would be nice...) then multiple players could form different teams and all go out on different missions.

In the near future, I am going to be requesting a sub-board to start organizing the game. I guess itll be first come, first served >.<
10+ yrs. of roleplay experience, yet I still dunno what the crap I'm doing >__<

1% of DM's started their first campaign in outer space. If you're one of the 99% that didn't, you're not as weird as me xD

My Games:
Naruto: Eyes of Fate - DM
Leras - Keness Orlen

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2009, 05:11:33 PM »
Dude I did the math on MS Excel. Are you saying Microsoft lies to it's customers?  :lmao /sarcasm
No I'm saying that point buy does not work by simply adding the 6 values into the total
Read the DMG if you don't believe the internet

All I'm really looking for is a human with an odd appearance that must drink blood rather than eat food... If I could get that and a pair of wings for LA 1, I'd be content...

How does this sound to you, then?

[spoiler]"The Chihane Clan is a minority group of Konoha, often misunderstood in the same way the Aburame clan is. The Chihane have passed down a Hiden Jutsu over the years that allows its members to grow large, batlike wings, which allow them to fly amongst the treetops, and even soar above them. Also true to their batlike heritage, they must consume blood, and are even feared for this attribute. Blood contains enzymes, and a precise enough level of chakra, to perfectly satisfy the needs of a Chihane. However, this does not mean Chihane members stalk the streets at night for prey; they buy blood donations from willing bidders, and indeed run a bit of a business around it."

Chihane Clan Heritage: BloodWings Technique
Effect: User Gains a Fly speed, equal to their normal land speed. They are treated as having +4 constitution for the purposes of determining fatigue for traveling long distances.
Blood Dependence: Chihane members are capable of eating and drinking normally, but do not gain sustenance from it. Instead, they must consume human blood. This often comes in the form of specialized periapts that can preserve the blood as long as if it were water.
Level Adjustment +1, can be bought off

Chihane Clan Hidden Jutsu: Water to Blood
Level: 1
Effect: The user infuses water with chakra, which creates enzymes and iron that transforms the water into the equivalent of human blood. One use of this power creates 1 liter of blood, enough to last a Chihane for a whole day if he stretches it out. This technique became vital to the clans survival on long spanning missions.

*Note - Chihane literally means "Blood Wings," which I think sounds awesome xD[/spoiler]
Can I add in an inhuman appearance, 1d4 con damage to the blood drain?
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2009, 08:04:20 PM »
Someone (*cough*Prime*cough*) should come up with the Shinobi Medic Prestige Class.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625c

Replace prereqs with Concentration 9 ranks, Heal 9 ranks, Hands of a Healer (feat from my ruleset thread), manifester level 5th
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 08:07:36 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: July 26, 2009, 08:16:42 PM »
Wait... are those feats?
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

ArcaneJazz

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2009, 02:50:15 AM »
No I'm saying that point buy does not work by simply adding the 6 values into the total
Read the DMG if you don't believe the internet
I was just kidding, but youre right I forgot the point buy rules at first. Never used em before, then stopped playing for 2 years. Still rusty.  :embarrassed In either case, I liked the constraints for the simple 1:1 point buy at 70 pts. I may stick with that. If you have suggestions though, Im open. I've honestly ALWAYS rolled stats, lol.

Dont go too overboard (sickly white skin, blood red eyes are fine, looking like a pit fiend is not), and... I guess as long as youre taking a level adjustment, the 1d4 con drain might not be so bad... Any other DM types out there feel free to chime in if thats too strong. Maybe 1d3? For now I'll allow it.

Wait... are those feats?
Nope, heritage is a la+1 template, Water to Blood is a power. Hidden Jutsu are powers that are only accessible by specific clans, but are not kekkei genkai. Shino's bugs, Kiba's bond with his dog, Choji's Size change. Theyre signature powers. If you come up with other blood related powers, they can be Chihane exclusive as well :]

OK so.... Who all do we have now that wants to play? This thread is startin to get too long for me to wanna fish through it, so lets try to get the names of people organized here. Send me PMs if you want to join the game, then I'll edit here with the list.

Then to decide what to do if 15 people wanna join in.... x__x;

Replace prereqs with Concentration 9 ranks, Heal 9 ranks, Hands of a Healer (feat from my ruleset thread), manifester level 5th
Well you didnt MAKE it, but... Prime saves the day! :D +10xp

1% of DM's started their first campaign in outer space. If you're one of the 99% that didn't, you're not as weird as me xD

My Games:
Leras - Keness Orlen

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2009, 03:43:38 AM »
I've honestly ALWAYS rolled stats, lol.
I'm up for it, roll 24d6, drop the lowest six, add three together per stat?

Dont go too overboard (sickly white skin, blood red eyes are fine, looking like a pit fiend is not), and... I guess as long as youre taking a level adjustment, the 1d4 con drain might not be so bad... Any other DM types out there feel free to chime in if thats too strong. Maybe 1d3? For now I'll allow it.
I was thinking blueish grey skin, the white area of the eye red, sharp teeth, and white hair...

I think that the standard 1d4 con damage and 5 temporary hit points is a great trade off, considering I'm willingly taking both template's blood hunger penalties...

OK so.... Who all do we have now that wants to play? This thread is startin to get too long for me to wanna fish through it, so lets try to get the names of people organized here. Send me PMs if you want to join the game, then I'll edit here with the list.

Then to decide what to do if 15 people wanna join in.... x__x;

Well you didnt MAKE it, but... Prime saves the day! :D +10xp
wow, 10 xp, that and 5 silver will buy you a hunk of cheese

Rufei

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2009, 04:37:48 AM »
I cant find the Lupin template in my current 3.5 index of templates. And google keeps giving me Lupin the Third info >.< lol

I'm seriously considering letting people choose some of these traits as supernatural or extraordinary abilities, in the form of feats. The templates are giving me a bad feeling, like... We shouldnt spend this much time with races, in a game that consists primarily of humans.

There's a link in that post. Here it is again. :P I do understand your sentiment, and I really just want to play a human, but the rules for it are pretty restrictive. I mean, they're solid, but I like my options. (That and there aren't that many feats in 3.5, meaning we'd be severely feat-starved. Unless if you let us have more than just 1 feat every 3 levels, that is...)

My character will probably end up taking the Sangehirn PrC then. Although, I did want to do something with Swiftblade, since I love that level 9 ability. Currently leaning towards something like the following:

Feat (UA) Rogue 1/Juuken Adept 1/(Fixed) Psychic Warrior 5/Sangehirn 5+/...? Could be cheap and do 2 levels of Swordsage in there too, just to pump the AC like none other.

Also, ArcaneJazz, you're talking about a 34 PB according to the standard PB system. Remember that you start with 8 base points and then add based on a scaling system.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 04:40:36 AM by Rufei »

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2009, 04:38:56 AM »
what's the psionic version of a ranger? or grappler?

Rufei

• Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2009, 04:41:29 AM »
Mindbow, was it? Complete Psionic.

Grappler... I'd still pin it on the Psychic Warrior. Just take Improved Grapple and whatnot, and bearhug your way to victory.

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2009, 04:47:42 AM »
Alrighty, thought it was done, but I'm human, so I need one more feat... build looks like so:
[spoiler]
Hyuga Hoshi - Lawful Neutral Jyuuken Adept 20      
Wis - Dex - Con - Int - Cha - Str
(1) Intuitive Strike
(f) Yondalla's Sense
(f) Improved Toughness
(h)
(JA) Improved Unarmed Strike - Bonus Feat, lv 1
(JA) Wild Talent - Bonus Feat, lv 1
(JA) Skill Focus (Spot) - From Byakugan Class Feature, lv 1
(3) Darkstalker
(6) Superior Unarmed Strike
(9) Mind Drain
(12) Improved Critical (Unarmed Strike)
(15) Eight Trigrams 361 Palms
(18) Improved Natural Attack (Unarmed Strike)
[/spoiler]

And hell yeah Rufei, Hyuuga brother in arms!

And DM, check out this thread for alternative maneuver options. Shadow Hand's "Umbral Jump" is one that I thought we might like to have, for what should be obvious reasons.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 04:50:28 AM by Flay Crimsonwind »

Rufei

• Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2009, 06:47:42 AM »
Bro-palm? :lmao

In all honesty, I'm not looking at a very Hyuuga-ish build... namely, in the grand scheme of taijutsu/ninjutsu/genjutsu, taijutsu is last on the list, followed very closely by genjutsu.

...maybe I'm going for a more utilitarian build? A lowered damage focus for more survivability and team aiding? (Perhaps even spybot?) I could go the route of fearbot again...

ArcaneJazz

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2009, 01:59:11 PM »
I was thinking blueish grey skin, the white area of the eye red, sharp teeth, and white hair...

I think that the standard 1d4 con damage and 5 temporary hit points is a great trade off, considering I'm willingly taking both template's blood hunger penalties...

Didnt realize you were taking both, so its all good then. The appearance isnt too outlandish either. Youd still be less monstrous looking than Kisame, lol... Something that never got any explanation whatsoever xD

wow, 10 xp, that and 5 silver will buy you a hunk of cheese

I know, Im such a generous DM haha

Unless if you let us have more than just 1 feat every 3 levels, that is...

Actually, I was thinking about allowing characters to gain their feats at the same rate as a fighter gains bonus feats. I'm also thinking about banning the fighter class because of this, lol. (would anyone seriously take fighter? Seems like a waste anyway) I need to come up with a list of what classes are banned anyway. Obviously arcane/divine magic is out, which stomps a lot of them. Im also going to say no to martial adepts (youre already getting maneuvers no matter what class you are). That should be it though.

And DM, check out this thread for alternative maneuver options. Shadow Hand's "Umbral Jump" is one that I thought we might like to have, for what should be obvious reasons.

Badass. A lot of material to go through, but I liked what I saw. I'll say its fair game.

So this is our current lineup:

Vinom - Blood-drinking vampire-ish guy.
Flay - Hyuuga Clansmen
Rufei - Hyuuga Clansmen
Risada - Undecided

Anyone else thats interested should send me a PM.

Also, I've had this idea for a while, but forgot about it til just now:

Alternative Skill Use: Concentration
 At 5 ranks, a shinobi may attempt to stand on, or even walk up and down, vertical surfaces. The DC is 15 + 5 for each 5 feet of distance traveled per turn. The user can take 10 if they are standing perfectly still and are not distracted. The shinobi must also have at least 5 chakra points left to use this ability.

At 10 ranks, a shinobi may walk on water. The DC is 20 + 5 for each 5 feet of distance traveled per turn. The user can take 10 if they are standing perfectly still and are not distracted. The shinobi must also have at least 10 chakra points left to use this ability.

Maybe the numbers need to be tweaked, but this is something Ive wanted to incorporate into a D&D game for ages anyway.

And now I have a question for whoever needs to be asked. How do I go about getting a sub-board in the PbP area for the game?

My Games:
Leras - Keness Orlen

Rufei

• Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2009, 02:28:38 PM »
Im also going to say no to martial adepts (youre already getting maneuvers no matter what class you are).

I'd be cautious of this, especially due to initiator levels. Effectively, this cuts us off of many of the best maneuvers in the game. Would there be a way to mitigate this? (Perhaps a feat that treats you as though you are an initiator of your class level -3?) The concern arises for those who want a clear taijutsu focus, in a Rock Lee sense.

I took Feat Rogue because I wanted feats, but seeing as that's all good, I'll just change that to the normal Rogue.

And you would PM AfterCrescent and post in the Current Games thread. He'll probably clarify things for you. :)

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #93 on: July 27, 2009, 02:49:56 PM »
Youd still be less monstrous looking than Kisame, lol... Something that never got any explanation whatsoever xD
Considering the whole Sage chakra thing, he apparently got trained by sharks and got stuck like that.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

ArcaneJazz

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: July 27, 2009, 03:42:44 PM »
I'd be cautious of this, especially due to initiator levels. Effectively, this cuts us off of many of the best maneuvers in the game. Would there be a way to mitigate this? (Perhaps a feat that treats you as though you are an initiator of your class level -3?) The concern arises for those who want a clear taijutsu focus, in a Rock Lee sense.

I took Feat Rogue because I wanted feats, but seeing as that's all good, I'll just change that to the normal Rogue.

And you would PM AfterCrescent and post in the Current Games thread. He'll probably clarify things for you.

I think shinobi would naturally be initiators of a level equal to class -3. Then we could allow a feat such as:

Jutsu Ineptitude
Prerequisite: Character Level 1st.
Effect: The character does not gain chakra points at level up. Thus, they can not use techniques that require spending such points. However, as a result of this, they are more capable physical combatants, and are treated as maneuver initiators equal to their class level. They additionally learn one level 1 maneuver upon taking this feat.
Special: This does not bar you from taking classes with power points, such as psion, though taking such a class would likely be a bad idea. The same applies to prestige classes, though you may not qualify if you do not meet the prerequisites due to having zero power points.

I will try to get ahold of AfterCrescent this evening, thanks.

Considering the whole Sage chakra thing, he apparently got trained by sharks and got stuck like that.

LMAO!! :lmao That is actually a really interesting idea, but theyve never explained that anyone other than the frogs could use anything similar to sage mode. But who knows? It could be anything really, until it shows up in the comic.

Now that you mention sage mode.... Heh. Expect a powerful (archmage level) prestige class for that, one of these days.

My Games:
Leras - Keness Orlen

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: July 27, 2009, 04:14:48 PM »
Only think that irks me about the concentration thing is, since the hyuuga class isn't a psionic class, i only get pp from my wild talent, so I can't use either of those abilities, which means I should prestige out into psionics, which means no 361 palms.

ArcaneJazz

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: July 27, 2009, 04:24:58 PM »
Only think that irks me about the concentration thing is, since the hyuuga class isn't a psionic class, i only get pp from my wild talent, so I can't use either of those abilities, which means I should prestige out into psionics, which means no 361 palms.

The concentration use would still apply to you, as a shinobi class. So as long as you take the ranks (pretty important anyway) then you should be fine.

My Games:
Leras - Keness Orlen

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #97 on: July 27, 2009, 05:06:44 PM »

I think shinobi would naturally be initiators of a level equal to class -3. Then we could allow a feat such as:

Jutsu Ineptitude
Prerequisite: Character Level 1st.
Effect: The character does not gain chakra points at level up. Thus, they can not use techniques that require spending such points. However, as a result of this, they are more capable physical combatants, and are treated as maneuver initiators equal to their class level. They additionally learn one level 1 maneuver upon taking this feat.
Special: This does not bar you from taking classes with power points, such as psion, though taking such a class would likely be a bad idea. The same applies to prestige classes, though you may not qualify if you do not meet the prerequisites due to having zero power points.
That seems overly complicated and unbalanced (compared to, say, taking levels in swordsage). Not everyone who focuses on taijutsu does so because they can't mold chakra. Might Guy just does it because he thinks it's cooler (he qualified as a jounin in the normal way and can still use summoning and all the standard skills you would expect from someone of his strength).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 05:10:44 PM by Prime32 »
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

ArcaneJazz

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2009, 05:14:15 PM »
*sigh* I thought so too after writing it... I want to edit it.

Hmm... Well, Rock Lee is an underdog, that much is certain. He's considered underpowered for being incapable of using ninjutsu... Until he opens the chakra floodgates.

I think it should actually be a flaw.

Jutsu Ineptitude
Effect:
You do not gain a power point reserve.

So you get a bonus feat for it. Not too complicated, not too overly powered. Why didnt I just do this out before, lol. An 8 Gates prestige class would kick ass too xD

Anyway... I suppose youre right. Some people would choose to never use ninjutsu (even though that just sounds silly xD) I guess theres no point in banning classes (aside from spellcasting obviously). I'll blame my rustiness for this one ;)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 05:17:15 PM by ArcaneJazz »

My Games:
Leras - Keness Orlen

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2009, 05:18:38 PM »
The problem with that is that in Shippuden Lee can walk on water, which would require him to gain psionic focus. If he doesn't have that flaw then who does? :p

Nothing's forcing people to take full manifesting classes.

EDIT: Also...

Rock Lee
Might Guy

For the vampire guy, might I suggest the Body Leech PrC? It was used in that thread's Sasori build.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 05:28:12 PM by Prime32 »
My work