Author Topic: Outfitting a LV. 18 Swift Hunter  (Read 1775 times)

Astaroth

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Outfitting a LV. 18 Swift Hunter
« on: May 28, 2009, 03:48:46 PM »
Im back again and as always into a newer game. My first game died because of DM issues, and with that I have moved onto a new game. The New Game is in a Homebrew campaign, using Greyhawk (presumably) as the land base. Military Style Campaign. Almost all books are allowed, and Level Adjustment buyoff is 1 and
Stats are based 10. Just trying to find the best equipment for him. Gestalts are not likely used 440k to spend

LN Half-Blue Dragon Human
Ranger 11/ Scout 4/Cloistered Cleric 1/ Dragon Racial 4 ECl +2
Strength 26
Constitution 22
Dexterity 23
Intelligence 14
Wisdom 12
Charisma 14

Flaws
(Questionable to be sure)
Frail
Weak Willed

Racial Traits
Darkvision 60ft
Lowlight Vision
Immune to Magic Sleep Effects/ Paralysis/ Electricity
Human Traits

Alternative Class Features
Spell Reflection
Champion of the Wild
Planar Ranger

Bonus Feats
Point Blank Shot
Rapid Shot
Manyshot
Improved Precise Shot
Precise Shot (Scout)
Improved Favored Enemy
Track
Endurance
Dragon Wings(Flaw)
Travel Devotion
Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Greatbow)

Regular Feats
Knowledge Devotion
Able Learner
Improved Manueverability
Improved Dragon Wings
Improved Skirmish
Darkstalker
Improved Speed
Swift Hunter

Breath weapon DC 24 Reflex save 6d8 points of electricity damange

I was considering the following options on weapons
 Axiomatic, Seeking, Magebane,  Holy, bane(Construct, Evil Outsider, Undead, Dragon and Abberation(choices favored to add on ) properties on Darkwood Greatbow
+5 Keen, wounding, Holy and Ghost Touch Properties on a Cold Iron Longsword
+5 Thundering, Shocking Burst and Holy on Adamantine War Hammer

I am looking to get more openings on this character as far as armor goes. considering that I am focusing on stealthy tactics to go in combat with. it would definitely help. Playing recognizance for the team.

Arrows used
Adamantine
Greater Slaying Arrows
Cold Iron Arrow
Serpentine Arrows
Dragon's breath Arrows

Also considering to prestige Kensai for this build.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 04:13:44 PM by Astaroth »

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Re: Outfitting a LV. 18 Swift Hunter
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 06:30:41 PM »
A few things: Do you have a buffer cleric? If so, then just ignore the pluses on your bow and go for more abilities. Depending on what you're hunting, Bane is useful. Magebane is always nice.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 10:48:57 PM »
Well, I'd make getting a Belt of Battle (13K, MIC) a priority, since it will let you trade your swift action for a move action 3/day, which will give you a full attack with skirmish when you're out of travel devotion uses.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 02:54:19 AM »
I've been doing this a lot lately it seems.

Top Items:
1. Nightstick from Libris Mortis to power Travel Devotion. Fairly obvious, but I'd rather be redundant than exclude them in the list.

2. Ring of Entropic Deflection(MIC) + any item that gives an enhancement to your land speed can get you a 50% miss chance vs. ranged(including ranged touch) attacks so long as you end your turn 10 ft from where you started it. 8 K for the Ring.

3. The most important weapon enhancement for a bow-user is Splitting from Champions of Ruins. It's a +3 bonus that makes each arrow fired split into two arrows that make seperate attack rolls, basically doubling your number of attacks. Though it comes from a FR book(possible issue if your DM only allows books from one setting), there is nothing really setting-related about it.

Feats: You can't *normally* power attack with a bow. So possible alternatives for Power Attack and/or Favored Power Attack for any of the following: Steadfast Determination, Improved Skirmish or Woodland Archer(RotW). The last one is proof vs. high ACs, especially with Splitting.

I think there's an item that improves flight speed..maybe in Draconomicon?
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Astaroth

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 03:40:39 PM »
I've been doing this a lot lately it seems.

Top Items:
1. Nightstick from Libris Mortis to power Travel Devotion. Fairly obvious, but I'd rather be redundant than exclude them in the list.

2. Ring of Entropic Deflection(MIC) + any item that gives an enhancement to your land speed can get you a 50% miss chance vs. ranged(including ranged touch) attacks so long as you end your turn 10 ft from where you started it. 8 K for the Ring.

3. The most important weapon enhancement for a bow-user is Splitting from Champions of Ruins. It's a +3 bonus that makes each arrow fired split into two arrows that make seperate attack rolls, basically doubling your number of attacks. Though it comes from a FR book(possible issue if your DM only allows books from one setting), there is nothing really setting-related about it.

Feats: You can't *normally* power attack with a bow. So possible alternatives for Power Attack and/or Favored Power Attack for any of the following: Steadfast Determination, Improved Skirmish or Woodland Archer(RotW). The last one is proof vs. high ACs, especially with Splitting.

I think there's an item that improves flight speed..maybe in Draconomicon?

feats.

There is a feat that does it. Improved Speed. +20 Flight/+10 Land speed. I did include those two feats based on being up front in melee. I don't always expect to be at a range, but its worthwhile to retrain those two .

As for their being a bufefr cleric in this party. I am not sure if he buffs the group, since we have a buffer type Sorcerer for the group, but I was considering looking for more worthwhile properties for the bow.

Thanks on the indea of belt of battle. I probably will replace the belt of giant strength with that, considering I still have a massive strength score already. 25 should be enough of course

Astaroth

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 04:06:37 PM »
sorry, double post
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 04:15:54 PM by Astaroth »