Author Topic: Character Discussion  (Read 28006 times)

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
Re: Character Discussion
« Reply #140 on: June 16, 2009, 06:16:55 PM »
Maybe it was to have enough skill points to put into Kn(Nature) and Survival?

Totemist 5 has Survival and Knowledge (Nature) covered.

AH! Totem Rager. Or was he aiming for Bear Warrior?

You're right, same number of skill points. My bad.

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #141 on: June 16, 2009, 06:41:40 PM »
Sin, could I get Divine Magician on an Archivist?

That requires you to have Domains, right? If so, you need a PrC that gives you Domains before you can get that.

First level only so it won't be happening, nm.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #142 on: June 17, 2009, 02:11:53 AM »

That requires you to have Domains, right? If so, you need a PrC that gives you Domains before you can get that.

There are still some damn nice divine spells for Clerics and Druids though, as you're aware, but that's beside the point. I wouldn't want you to get burned out on the archetype.

On another note, I'm trying to figure out how people usually keep their cohorts alive. They're fully two levels behind you, and don't generally have nearly as good ability scores, both of which take a big chunk out of potential hp (In my case, the cohort actually has less HP than a familiar would have had). Obviously in this situation the rest of the party helps in mitigating damage, and the person in question tries their best to stay out of the way, but this is still more challenging than not having the character to worry about. I suppose that's the price you pay at low levels. :)

Rayth Molba

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #143 on: June 17, 2009, 02:57:51 AM »
EDIT: Wait, nevermind, I answered my own question. I should be done with my character very soon. Sorry for the wait, everyone.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 03:02:31 AM by Rayth Molba »

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #144 on: June 17, 2009, 11:51:08 AM »

There are still some damn nice divine spells for Clerics and Druids though, as you're aware, but that's beside the point. I wouldn't want you to get burned out on the archetype.

On another note, I'm trying to figure out how people usually keep their cohorts alive. They're fully two levels behind you, and don't generally have nearly as good ability scores, both of which take a big chunk out of potential hp (In my case, the cohort actually has less HP than a familiar would have had). Obviously in this situation the rest of the party helps in mitigating damage, and the person in question tries their best to stay out of the way, but this is still more challenging than not having the character to worry about. I suppose that's the price you pay at low levels. :)

Full Gestalt would keep it interesting, but you're right.. i've done it all before. I'm trying to find where in Dragon the feat for extra unique powers for Erudite is.... 319 I think but I don't have it.

Edit:
Prerequisite: Possess the unique powers per day class ability.
Benefit: Choose a power level from which you can already manifest powers (1st through 9th). From now on, you can manifest one more unique power per day from among the powers you know of this level.
Special: You can take this feat multiple times however, you can't take more than once per character level.

You have to pick a level... kinda sucks.

Rayth Molba

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #145 on: June 24, 2009, 03:51:30 AM »
Really sorry for the wait everyone, but I think I'm finished with my character. I have the stuff down, but since it's really late here I won't be able to post it up until tomorrow morning. Sorry again for the wait. :D Expect it up tomorrow, barring totally ridiculous circumstances.

Rayth Molba

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #146 on: June 24, 2009, 07:57:58 PM »
Really really sorry for the ridiculous amount of wait, everyone, and thanks for putting up with me. I think I've got everything, but if you guys notice something missing in my sheet or my WBL break-down, tell me, and I'll fix it.

Well, after several internet failings, crazy events popping up out of nowhere, and tons of other crap, I'm ready. Thanks for waiting.  :D

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #147 on: June 25, 2009, 01:02:16 AM »
Did you roll your HP or take the average? Your hp value seems a little low, even for having a d6 hit die and low con. Did you remember to give yourself double-max HP at first level?

Also, just because I got my cleric cohort done doesn't mean I'm quite satisfied with it. It's still rather squishy and can't really contribute to combat very much, though if it can last until it gets higher level spells it should manage to be an effective powerhouse as usual. For now it's vulnerable and I'm still unsure whether to bother with cloistered cleric or just go general cleric. In the interest of saving time, however, I'm willing to keep it as-is.

Also, Takanaki, any updates on your ideas?
-------------
On another note, can a spellthief steal the ability to cast a cleric's spontaneously converted spell? For instance, could it steal a prepared 1st level spell, swapping it out for cure light wounds as the cleric would? Essentially, casting it as if the cleric was casting it, or treating the stolen spell as if it had come from a spontaneous caster such as a sorcerer. It sounds silly, really, but it's going to end up defining what I choose for my spontaneous domain casting, and what spells I need to have prepared.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 01:11:31 AM by VennDygrem »

Rayth Molba

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #148 on: June 25, 2009, 03:55:29 AM »
I think I rolled for HP, but I did not include the double for first level. I have my rolls somewhere, so I should dig those up, and find out if it would just be better to do average. Eh.

I don't know anything about Clerics or Spellthiefs(Spellthieves?), or I would help.

Rayth Molba

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #149 on: June 26, 2009, 04:19:17 PM »
Are we still waiting for anyone/anything?

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #150 on: June 27, 2009, 12:52:38 AM »
Takanaki's psion is done, but he may decide to change it. Other than that, Sinfire is having PC troubles, so until those are resolved we may have some issues getting started.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #151 on: June 27, 2009, 01:50:08 AM »
Hmm.

That's probably what we're waiting for. I still haven't found any reason, other than hps, to keep the second level of barbarian. should i change it up?
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #152 on: June 27, 2009, 05:38:54 AM »
Depends I guess. What would you get instead of Uncanny Dodge or Improved trip?
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #153 on: June 27, 2009, 11:07:37 AM »
HP drop of turning to something other than a Gestalt class is too painful for me to consider seriously. There's some cheese that could be done but it's overall easier to stick with what i've got... unless I change it, but I doubt I will. I have my doubts over whether this will even start by the end of July anyway.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #154 on: June 27, 2009, 01:19:00 PM »
HP aren't everything. My character originally had half again as many hp as my character currently does, but my current build has higher AC, better saves overall, more invocations and actual spellcasting ability, and surprisingly, more DR. I still wouldn't want him getting into melee range compared to the brute version, but he's definitely not completely frail.

My cloistered cleric cohort, on the otherhand, is a walking target, and I'm still trying to figure out how to increase its durability without sacrificing utility.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #155 on: June 27, 2009, 02:25:57 PM »
Law Devotion for starters? Assuming you don't need your Domains for something else...
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #156 on: June 27, 2009, 02:31:23 PM »
Ok, i finished migrating the 2nd level of Barbarian into the 2nd level of Weretouched Master. I realized I hadn't chosen a "totem" for my character, thus he is now a Tiger Weretouched Master. Add another damage size to claws!!
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #157 on: June 27, 2009, 02:44:32 PM »
Just to make sure, you've read the ECS errata, right?

EDIT: You Multiattack-Pouncers make my Greatsword-wielder feel inadequate :P

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #158 on: June 27, 2009, 09:53:16 PM »
While law devotion adds a nice bonus to offense or defense, a Chaotic Neutral cleric can't select the Law domain. :)

If I make the cohort lawful, that reduces my leadership score I believe, and while it's already high enough to stay at the point where it's still 2 levels behind me, there are also other factors keeping me from doing this. 1) free extend spell feat makes qualifying for Persist spell easier, and 2) it doesn't make sense for a lawful cleric to follow around a chaotic-neutral gnome with a proclivity for mischief. :D

I'm still questioning the build, and its effectiveness depends on Sinfire's ruling to my previous question, but it's good to go if it comes to getting the game up and running. Until then, I'll have to play around with my options. I was mainly interested in using the cohort as a 'spell battery' though I'm not sure how useful that concept is now. It's almost more trouble than it's worth.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #159 on: June 27, 2009, 10:04:16 PM »
He's just trying to balance the gnome out.