Author Topic: [SWSE] Who needs a hyperdrive?  (Read 2226 times)

Random

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
[SWSE] Who needs a hyperdrive?
« on: May 26, 2009, 12:02:29 AM »
The new Jedi Academy book has a nifty power: Fold Space (p25). It's a Use the Force check, DC 20-40. It lets you teleport a held or unattended object, or the vehicle you're in and everything in it, up to a maximum of Colossal size and 30 squares distance. It has a matching technique, Improved Fold Space (p37). With that, you spend a Force Point to teleport to anywhere within line of sight, or a Destiny Point for anywhere within the same star system.

The Line of Sight rules (SWSE core, p160) explicitly require something opaque between you and the target to block line of sight. It does not have a maximum range. How far can you see on a clear, moonless night, looking up? How about with a high-powered telescope? Remember, with Force Point Recovery, you can do this once an encounter for free - and I'd say "arriving halfway across the galaxy" qualifies as a new encounter.

x0.5 hyperdrives, eat your heart out.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: [SWSE] Who needs a hyperdrive?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 12:24:53 AM »
Reminds me of my old sith hyperdrive idea.  "Size matters not", so the Sith just selfishly move the entire universe around themselves whenever they want to go somewhere.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 08:24:08 AM »
Well, if you want to be tricky, you'd end up in the past(or off target by a buncha light-years, hopefully not within hazardous areas), since the night sky you see is light from several thousands of years away. But then, thats why you brought your own spacecraft.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 12:43:46 PM »
i think your either gonna land on a star / in a nebula or just plain miss your target.

if you spot mars w/ the naked eye, and then pulled out your super high powered telescope, and spotted one of the landers.. find a spot to teleport to, your going to miss, cause its not there anymore... it moved like ten minutes ago.   
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 07:50:30 PM »
But it would work to go, say, on the moon.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 07:53:15 PM »
i think your either gonna land on a star / in a nebula or just plain miss your target.

if you spot mars w/ the naked eye, and then pulled out your super high powered telescope, and spotted one of the landers.. find a spot to teleport to, your going to miss, cause its not there anymore... it moved like ten minutes ago.   

There's no limit on what reference frame you arrive in.  I pick the non-inertial "that spot on mars" reference frame.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 08:00:37 PM »
I posted a related trick for 3.5 in the Dirty Tricks thread, for 10th-level rogues with the Distant Shot and Fling Ally feats (Distant Shot - you can attack anything in your line of sight. Fling Ally is self-explanatory).
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 08:30:47 PM »
And the chances of hitting something that you aren't aiming for, in space, are so abysmally low as to be nonexistent. Either way, you probably need to work out with your DM how line of sight works when you see things that may not still exist.

Random

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 10:25:16 PM »

That's why there are purpose-built computers designed to take things like that into account. It's a fairly trivial task today, for a non-spacefaring society, to predict the current position of a star given its distance and the rate of relative drift (both known factors). Given the SW galaxy's far better interstellar mapping, and the purpose-built computers designed to take this very factor into account, that's a trivial problem at best.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 12:05:26 AM »
it is... when your using a machine to travel... i guess you could build all that nav comp into a telescope...
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 12:21:32 AM »
Or you could just trust in the Force to deliver you there safely  :P

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 03:59:16 AM »
The force? Guiding you? What're the chances of that?

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 04:02:14 AM »
Taking it literal and arriving in the past though...:D
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Korwin

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 07:03:34 AM »
There is also the Force Tradition Talent: Folded Space Mastery