Author Topic: Air Born combat  (Read 5959 times)

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
Re: Air Born combat
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2009, 05:13:58 PM »
You won't need more than average maneuverability anyway, neither for a charger nor for a flyby attack skirmish archer. Both work just fine when flying in a straight line.

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2009, 08:30:30 PM »
I would have said to consider my custom Dragon Shaman fix, which would give you wings and other goodies, but you wouldn't get them until level 5, the class isn't completely done and playtested yet for balance, etc. Though, it would be a nice, neat package for being able to fly and use a breath weapon.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2009, 08:31:53 PM »
I would have said to consider my custom Dragon Shaman fix, which would give you wings and other goodies, but you wouldn't get them until level 5, the class isn't completely done and playtested yet for balance, etc. Though, it would be a nice, neat package for being able to fly and use a breath weapon.
I like the raptoran dragonborn package, namely because it doesn't dictate class.
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2009, 11:29:26 AM »
Can you use Dragon Magic & Complete Mage?
If your DM allows Dragonfire Adept to qualify for Eldritch Disciple, you can get in with Cleric 3/ DFA 2 and after 10 Levels(ECL 15, if no LA or racial HD) you're looking at 13/13 Invocations & Divine Spells, a 6d6 Breath Weapon(cone of fire or 1 2nd-Level effect of your choice) + a few "Gifts of your Divine Patron" to power with your Turn Undead.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2009, 12:25:42 PM »
If your DM allows Dragonfire Adept to qualify for Eldritch Disciple, you can get in with Cleric 3/ DFA 2 and after 10 Levels(ECL 15, if no LA or racial HD) you're looking at 13/13 Invocations & Divine Spells, a 6d6 Breath Weapon(cone of fire or 1 2nd-Level effect of your choice) + a few "Gifts of your Divine Patron" to power with your Turn Undead.
Sounds promising...
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2009, 02:16:37 PM »
Sounds promising...
:embarrassed :embarrassed :embarrassed
Sorry, I reread the class and must correct myself. A player used it this way in one of my games, it wasn't broken and so I never checked his interpretation:

RAW you only get new Invocations, no increase in Breath Weapon damage or range.

Suggested fix:
If you can get your DM to accept Breath Weapon = Eldritch Blast, you still loose out on Breath effects. But at least it works out as I wrote in my above post.

Nothing overpowered here, anyways, just really good area-healing(Healing Blast: 6d6 in cone for 1 use of Turn undead, should hit your whole party + pets/cohorts if used out of combat), assuming you're CG(basically that is the best alignment, as it also allows you to get Protective Aura and Wild Frenzy with nicely boost your defense and offense in melee).

You need high CON(for Breath Weapon DC), CHA(Invocations, Gifts & Turn Undead) and WIS(cleric spellcasting).
No easy way to reduce MAD,
short of becoming Undead to use CHA instead of CON and/or replacing Cleric with Shugenja+some PrC that grants Turn Undead(Sacred Exorcist, for example) :(

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2009, 06:58:30 PM »
Dynamic Priest from Dragonlance: Legend of the Twins changes the Cleric casting to Cha for all but DCs.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2009, 06:04:27 AM »
Dynamic Priest from Dragonlance: Legend of the Twins changes the Cleric casting to Cha for all but DCs.

Any such things for Wizards around? :P
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2009, 08:17:02 PM »

I think the word you're looking for is 'Sorcerer.'

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2009, 08:49:21 PM »

Academic Priest does the same for Intelligence, from the same book.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2009, 12:09:40 AM »
Battle Jump and the dragoon fighting style rock.  Hood is proof.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Naldor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2009, 02:30:23 AM »
One suggestion that I would have (if this post isn't too late) would be to not have your character be the one with wings.  Get a mount instead.  If you're going to be doing a lot of dungeon-crawling, play a halfling (supermount, anyone?) on a medium-sized mount with perfect maneuverability that can navigate dungeons easily.  There are a number of PrCs that will synergize nicely with this theme: the first that comes to mind is the Skylord from BoED.  Full BaB class, advances spellcasting at 1/2 rate, calls a special flying mount.  Look at the supermount / ubercharger threads for ideas on how to maximize charging damage.  There are quite literally almost a dozen different abilities which double damage on a charge.  Use them all, and you might put out 1,000 + damage turn if you do a full attack / TWF on a charge.

gagnrath

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2009, 02:21:02 PM »
Well the first thing you should do is figure out a way to keep the baby from falling.   I suppose the umbilical cord would do this untill the placenta comes out with the afterbirth.

So catch that.   Then finish the combat.  I'd then reccomend cleaning off the baby.

Unless you meant airborne combat.  In that case follow the suggestions above.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2009, 02:23:36 PM »
Well the first thing you should do is figure out a way to keep the baby from falling.   I suppose the umbilical cord would do this untill the placenta comes out with the afterbirth.

So catch that.   Then finish the combat.  I'd then reccomend cleaning off the baby.

Unless you meant airborne combat.  In that case follow the suggestions above.

:lmao

Zombieboots

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Ska-ull
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2009, 05:59:46 PM »
Well the first thing you should do is figure out a way to keep the baby from falling.   I suppose the umbilical cord would do this untill the placenta comes out with the afterbirth.

Done this before have we?

OP: An airborne Charger that makes use of the Dungeon Crasher variant from Dungeonscape to Impact opponents into the ground in a meteor like fashion might be a fun concept. Only two (six if you are crazy) levels in fighter easily slipped into to most charger builds.
An extra 4d6 and x2 strength is nothing to laugh at. Unless you are doing the laughing.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 06:21:28 PM by Zombieboots »
Ah! Maddness. Thank you.[spoiler][/spoiler]

Naldor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2009, 11:42:48 AM »
An extra 4d6 and x2 strength is nothing to laugh at. Unless you are doing the laughing.
Depends.  Is this damage subject to the various effects that double charge damage?  Otherwise feats / classes would probably be better spent grabbing those various damage doublers.

Feats like Spirited Charge & Headlong Rush (requires half-orc) plus a valorous lance = quintuple damage on a charge.  Add in pounce and you can make a full attack.

Zombieboots

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Ska-ull
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2009, 01:32:24 PM »
One can have both. It is not one-or-the-other.
Someone can pick up a Valorous lance regaurdless of build since it's an item, and both Spirited Charge & Headlong Rush are non-fighter feats so unless you are using the second fighter level to pick up Mounted Combat or Ride-By Attack you could still have quintuple damage while smashing foes into the earth.

You do not need both and I am not saying it is a must have, it is simply another suggestion which is easy to slip in.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 01:45:17 PM by Zombieboots »
Ah! Maddness. Thank you.[spoiler][/spoiler]

Naldor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2009, 03:58:52 PM »
ah.  I was under the impression that you couldn't combine the bull-rush related effects from dungeoncrasher with mounted combat rules.