Author Topic: Simple Party Game RPG  (Read 1367 times)

Zzarchov

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Unofficial Games
Simple Party Game RPG
« on: May 23, 2009, 09:42:29 PM »
So I set out with the mission of developing a simple party game style RPG.   Something that you could could play in 40 minutes to an hour.  In this case you can teach someone who hasn't played rpg's before the rules,  make an adventure and run through it in less than an hour and a half.  You can run through a fun little pulp or fairy tale adventure in half an hour once you are familiar with the rules.

The rules also had to be deep enough (with enough strategy) that it wasn't just a game of smile and keep mashing the "x" button over and over again.    It had to be lighthearted and with a mechanic that gave real strategic choice, without being complicated.

The system uses six sided dice, beads or tokens,  and miniatures (or poker chips) on a grid.

I played three games (one with RPG'ers and two with non-RPG players) and I'd love to get some feedback from others.

Include is a set of 4 sample characters (though character creation takes a minute or less) and a very basic sample dungeon.

The rules can be downloaded at Zzarchov.Bravehost.Com  its called "Adventure Party!"

Its under 20 pages.
Check out my Game Design Blog!

zzarchov.blogspot.com

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Re: Simple Party Game RPG
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 11:46:47 AM »
I love the premise but I am noticing quite a few grammatical errors. If I knew how to make PDFs I'd totally help you out with them. A few of your terminologies are also a bit confusing (I'm hypothesizing that english is your second language).

Criticism aside, your system is deliciously simple and reminiscent of Munchkin, the ever-classic card game. The Cool Hat is priceless. I think that this game is simple enough to start a party, but has enough depth to add things, such as more items, to the game, which in turn would add a tad more depth. Overall this game looks fun and endearing.

Zzarchov

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Unofficial Games
Re: Simple Party Game RPG
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 07:03:59 PM »
Thank you for your feedback, I am planning to assemble a couple dozen quests into a game pack soon.  I will work on fixing any grammatical or spelling errors, a second review has allowed me to fix some of them.  I appreciate any feedback, even critcisms.
Check out my Game Design Blog!

zzarchov.blogspot.com