Author Topic: Help on a Gestalt WereTiger Initiator!  (Read 1974 times)

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
Help on a Gestalt WereTiger Initiator!
« on: May 21, 2009, 10:58:58 PM »
This is not a game for high optimization.  The goal is characters who have lots of flexibility and options, not raw power.  You want a character which can fill more than 1 role in a pinch, and which can hold its own in combat, but doesn't overshadow.
Take this to note!

Anyways, I'm (obviously) making a character for Operation Shoestring's gestalt campaign, with some interesting rules. I've asked, and been allowed to utilize the savage progression classes for a were-tiger.

So! I've gotten the idea to use one side as the lycan/natural attack boosting side, and the other to give me some maneuvers. Currently, I'm going with swordsage 20 for the maneuvers list, since 15 bab on an initiator who will most often Tiger-Claw strike (so, yeah, one mean attack a round) isn't so crippling as it could potentially be. Since we start at level 6, that makes the build look like:
Lycan Template Class 3 / Weretiger Class 3 // Swordsage 6
And eventually...
Lycan Template Class 3 / Weretiger Class 6 / Warshaper 5 / X6 // Swordsage 20

My main question is about the build being tweaked so that it isn't too weak. I'll be avoiding TWFing, unless someone can tell me a good reason not to. I'm thinking that in combat, it will mainly be power-attack-boosted-maneuvers, primarily from the Tiger Claw Discipline (so Power Attack and Leap Attack seem to be staples, but due to book list Battle Jump doesn't look to be in. I asked anyways), with a bit of shadow hand perhaps so that he has some out of combat utility with cloaking and such. He's got to have some variety, so I know that while he's a great BSF, he could be a decent scouter/tracker, especially with his scent ability and boosted lycan stats.

Feats list looks like so:
(1) Power Attack
(h) Adaptive Style *Human bonus feat*
(f) Battle Jump
(f) Leap of the Heavens
(S) Weapon Focus (Tiger Claw Weapons) *Swordsage Discipline Focus*
(W) Alertness *Were-Tiger Feat*
(W) Improved Natural Attack [bite], Improved Natural Attack [claw] *Were-Tiger Feats*
(3)
(6) Leap Attack

Also, I've never played a wildshaper or polymorpher or a lycan, so what items could compliment my jumpity natural attacks thing? I was thinking of a ring of jumping, a wisdom booster, and padded armor to get the SS bonus armor whilst not screwing my Dex-bonus over (thank you Lycans for boosting my dex and Str!). I'll assume my stats should be prioritized as Dex - Con - Wis - Str - Int - Cha, only because my strength boost is so damn high anyways once I finish the warshaper/were-tiger classes that it can be a 12 or 14 or something and not be nuked.

I've read somewhere over on 339 a long time ago about the savage progressions meaning that I could buy off the levels with LA buy-off... is this misquoted? Whilst I can't buyoff the levels in this game, I can erase 2 LA by reducing my stats point-buy from 40 to 36. A decent trade?

As always, any and all advice is appreciated!
~Flay
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 10:32:58 PM by Flay Crimsonwind »

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Re: Help on a Gestalt WereTiger Initiator!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 11:14:19 PM »
Yes 2LA for 4 points is a great trade, as for a polymorpher, I'm pretty sure that an Amulet of Natural Attacks or something like that will be awesome.

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 11:40:11 PM »
Yes 2LA for 4 points is a great trade, as for a polymorpher, I'm pretty sure that an Amulet of Natural Attacks or something like that will be awesome.
Excellent, thanks for that! That'd allow for 5 of 6 weretiger levels all in starting, which would be superb, but I've also found a second discussion, surprisingly recent, in the lycan's guide being currently produced, which reminded me of it's potential abuse. Is it really that abusive for me to reclaim 2 levels? I think it might be, and I don't want to over power it, but I'd be a fool not to, so I'd just like to hear a suggestion on it.

So far, equipment looks like a legacy gauntlet, a pearl of wisdom, ring of jumping, and normal padded armor. By amulet of natural attacks I bet you mean the necklace from savage species, correct? Well I'll ask about it, dunno if it'll be allowed, since for some reason it makes people think broken... though yeah, that'd be a definitely nifty thing, especially with sizing (since natural weapons are always considered light; colossal claws would be cheesy, but awesome) or metalline. Amulet of natural armor a good choice, to boost my already existant NA?

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 02:22:17 AM »
Updated feats selection. Does it really look sound to you guys?

And can anyone tell me why the Improved Control Shape is at all beneficial? Shouldn't natural lycan's have that control over their form anyway? I can't find where in the monster listing it says anything about what that feat seems to think happens...

wyldfire

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 02:42:50 AM »
How did this go I am thinking of doing something dead on the same with a lvl 6 starting level

Is it better to go sword sage or a warblade, and other than tiger claw what other stances are worth while.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 03:12:43 AM by wyldfire »

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 03:37:10 AM »
I'm a sucker for the swordsage; wis isn't great as a dump stat, as your listen/spot should be deadly accurate, and if you're going swordsage (which is a greater number of and variety of maneuvers), that wis boost from lycan is nice for your already heavily wis-focused class. You don't need a huge int score, so warblade suffers a bit, and you don't get shadow hand stuff. Cause really, what's worse than a super alert were-tiger that's hard to detect himself?  :p And don't say druid, wizard, or cleric.

I wouldn't bother really with warblade, and I'd definitely go Swordsage, though I'd try and find a way to maybe get an initiator prc in there. There's nothing wrong or bad about ss 20, but more flash for a flashy character is always good.

And the game itself was stone cold when I last visited the gaia page, so I'm just as interested as you are.  :D

wyldfire

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 09:00:54 AM »
Is there a better class to abuse the wonderful natural attacks than swordsage....

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 09:52:34 AM »
I was doing something similar a while back though with a dire tiger instead:

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7408.0

wyldfire

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 05:45:43 AM »
Hey guys thank for the help so far,

With a 32 Point Build would I be better going

Str 16
Dex 10
Con 16
Int 8
Wis 16
Cha 8

or should I drop my con and focus on some more dex

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 05:48:47 AM »
Con is good, especially since you're a brutalizing machine.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 11:55:53 AM »
Weretigers get a good Dex boost in Hybrid form too, which, if you're smart, will be your combat mode.  The Con boost from that form doesn't change your hp total, so you want your base as high as possible.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Fluffles

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 03:31:53 PM »
Black Blood Hunter is great for a 3 level dip. Will give Lycan's the animals special attacks in hybrid mode, so you don't have to be a kitty to pounce :)