Author Topic: Pardon me, request for a serious idea.  (Read 6367 times)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Pardon me, request for a serious idea.
« on: May 29, 2008, 03:58:57 PM »
Some of the other forum-goers are aware of the idea (thanks to PMs), so I'd like to announce the idea here. I and several other COers are going to try our hand at making a TC/RP game. Think of it like a hybrid between Magic and DnD (along with influences from several other sources), but the TCG and RPG would be able to be played independent of each other (but go well together). To help support this new game idea, I'd like to ask for BG to help advertise it once (if) it goes to the Alpha Testing stage, and to have a private forum to discuss the game ideas in.

It's a bit of a large demand, but I feel it would help this community out. So I'll reiterate the questions:

1: Would BG be willing to support this new system by advertising it?
2: May we have a private section of the forums to discuss the game design and mechanics?
3: If it would help, could I be made a moderator of that forum? (Optional)

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
Re: Pardon me, request for a serious idea.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 05:09:21 PM »
Absolutely-- this sounds fantastic.  Definitely something I'd be interested in as well.

Let me know what you are thinking for specifics, and who would be part of this project.  Very cool.
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 05:29:49 PM »
Absolutely-- this sounds fantastic.  Definitely something I'd be interested in as well.

Let me know what you are thinking for specifics, and who would be part of this project.  Very cool.

I've got the following to pitch their lots in with this idea:
Phoenix_Inferno
Tshern
Jameswilliamogle
RadicalTaoist

I've also tried asking Tempest Stormwind and Tleilaxu_Ghola, but TS' PM box is full on Gleemax, and I've yet to hear from TG. I've sent messages to the following in addition to the ones mentioned above:

tsuyoshikentsu
Surreal
Dictum Mortuum (I think he replied to it, I just don't have the message anymore due to the fact that I always delete it once I've replied).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Meg

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 06:00:56 PM »
Done!  Everyone on that list should be able to see the private board (except for TS who didn't register here).

If the membership list should change, let me know. 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 06:09:10 PM »
Done!  Everyone on that list should be able to see the private board (except for TS who didn't register here).

If the membership list should change, let me know. 

Right. And thanks for the help.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 06:49:26 PM »
Phoenix_Inferno
Tshern
Jameswilliamogle
RadicalTaoist

I've also tried asking Tempest Stormwind and Tleilaxu_Ghola, but TS' PM box is full on Gleemax, and I've yet to hear from TG. I've sent messages to the following in addition to the ones mentioned above:

tsuyoshikentsu
Surreal
Dictum Mortuum (I think he replied to it, I just don't have the message anymore due to the fact that I always delete it once I've replied).
Wow! That's an amazing group we're working with! Hopefully everyone you asked will join the project. Any thoughts who could reach Tempest_Stormwind with other means? Maybe R_T?

Handy Links

Meg

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 06:51:02 PM »
I have his email.  I'll try to send a message.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 07:01:48 PM »
Phoenix_Inferno
Tshern
Jameswilliamogle
RadicalTaoist

tsuyoshikentsu
Surreal
Wow! That's an amazing group we're working with! Hopefully everyone you asked will join the project. Any thoughts who could reach Tempest_Stormwind with other means? Maybe R_T?

I had several others, but some of them backed out.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 02:30:09 PM »
I'd be more than willing to help on anything that doesn't requires extensive knowledge of every 3.5 book  :)
'DnD is not a game; it is a membership in a tribe that I joined long ago.'

Stupidity should be painful!

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 10:11:11 PM »
I'd be more than willing to help on anything that doesn't requires extensive knowledge of every 3.5 book  :)

As long as you have decent experience with the system itself, we could use the help.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

AlienFromBeyond

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 06:40:33 AM »
Good luck to ya. Designing a game is not as easy as it seems, and more power to ya if you pull it off. What kind of interaction are you looking at between the RPG and the CCG?

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 03:36:27 PM »
Good luck to ya. Designing a game is not as easy as it seems, and more power to ya if you pull it off. What kind of interaction are you looking at between the RPG and the CCG?

Personally, I'd want the spellcasting system to be based on as much of the card game as possible.

But the hardest part is getting off the ground. Once we start rolling, it should come along quite nicely.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 10:27:37 PM »

Will it be a CCG?
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 11:20:06 AM »

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 03:03:12 PM »
If you guys ever need help, lemme know. Although my schedule is bursting with college crap, I would like to help in any way, even if only for cheerleading  :P

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 08:40:06 AM »
I might not be a shining light on either game, but I can navigate MtG's layer system, and I'm a follower of, though not a major contributer to, D&D TO. I'm also active in the MtG "You Make the Card" forum, with good, but not stellar, results (my cards tend to lose points for being boring, straightforward, and/or conservatively costed, which is a rarity in my experience). If you need another rules junkie, just PM me. I'd love to help you out.
I know gameology-fu.

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 07:29:17 PM »
Not sure how I can help, but I'll help if I can.  Just PM anything I can help with at my limited capacity.
Ubernoob is a happy panda.

ZeroSum

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2008, 01:41:01 PM »
I'm available to help if you so desire.  I've also got a good group of intelligent geeks that'd make a great playtest group when the time comes aorund for it.

NineInchNall

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • I am NOT a cat.
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2008, 01:56:11 PM »
Wow, JanusJones and I have been talking about doing something like this for some time now.  Amusing that others had the same idea.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2008, 04:06:23 PM »
I'm not sure what would be involved in helping, but I could toss you a few card concepts or something.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]