Author Topic: crazy gestalt fun  (Read 4426 times)

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
Re: crazy gestalt fun
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2009, 12:24:31 AM »
Gestalt breaks the game. Epic breaks the game. The reason he's acting the way he is is because you came and asked for help in what should be an incredibly high-powered game, and you said 'No' to really basic suggestions.

Going into an Epic Gestalt Arena game without flight is sort of like going to play Major League Baseball and trying to punch the ball instead of using a bat. And when someone suggested using a bat, giving the help you asked for, you responded 'Nah, we don't really throw that hard.'

Edit: And doing it with VoP is like playing MLB with only one leg.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 12:26:27 AM by Negative Zero »

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2009, 10:43:43 AM »
The sorceror side COULD provide the appropriate flight, but only if you kept it maxed so you don't fall spectacularly to your death when someone slams a Disjunction in your face. Possibly theres also picking up Dragonborn for wings.

And of course theres Epic Spellcasting, you wouldn't really need much more than just splurge on an enormous, long duration, long casting buff spell there.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2009, 08:00:17 PM »
I love gestalt arenas...  Something like this:

Wildshape Ranger 5 / Master of Many Forms 10 / Nature's Warrior 3 / Warshaper 3 || Archivist 21

Or sub some levels in Archivist for whatever Divine PrC gives you turn undead for DMM goodness, not like you'd really need it though.

Wildshape into a Dusk Giant for 48 STR +4 from Warshaper +16 from Bite of the Werebear +4 Righteous Might = 72

Equally crazy is something like:

Warblade 5 / Warhulk 10 / Warshaper 3 / Whatever 2 || Wizard 21

Since you can use Wizard for Alter Shape into a large creature, you should be able to qualify for Warhulk.  Then you can Polymorph, Draconic Polymorph, and eventually Shapechange into enormously, ridiculously strong critters with tons of SLA's and whatnot.

Really no reason not to have full spellcasting on one side and full melee capabilities on the other side.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2009, 08:07:41 PM »
Necropolitan Unseelie Fey Star Elf

Warmage 2 / Rainbow Servant 10/Mage Of The Arcane Order 7/Mindbender 1/ Sand shaper 1
//
Battle Dancer 1/ Hexblade 3/ Paladin of Slaughter or Freedom 2/Warblade 14

Full casting, spontaneous list consisting of all warmage spells and all cleric spells and all sandshaper spells, plus telepathy (which you can use to get mindsight) out to 100', plus cha to AC outside of armor, cha to saves twice, and lots of maneuvers.

And if you're really in a jam, mage of the arcane order lets you whip out any sorcerer/wizard spell in the PHB a few times a day.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2009, 10:12:00 PM »
Why not gestalt the first half of that with Wizard/Incantatrix/Shadowcraft Mage?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2009, 01:11:55 AM »
Why not gestalt the first half of that with Wizard/Incantatrix/Shadowcraft Mage?
You can't do two PrCs in gestalt.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

wO-_-OdrOw

• Bi-Curious George
  • "I do not exist," we faithfully insist.
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2009, 07:21:24 PM »
Actually, I really like that idea... but I'm not sure about lvls, and I guess now I might wind up switching monk for the swordsage, and maybe do something different with the hexblade. Add in halfling, and thats a +1 to everything.

Now I'm thinking, in case he wants to throw Mage's Disjunction at me, I might go with VoP, which will still give me some nice saves, ability bonuses, resistances, etc, and throw some aging onto that to increase stats even more.

Swordsage instead of Monk, of course. Diamond Mind maneuvers will be nice. VoP is pretty worthless if you're allowed items. You're missing out on bonuses to initiative here and you DO NOT lose initiative. Belt of Battle might also be nice if you're not mentally prepared to realize that you can kill him outright in the first action and need another round to do it. Seriously, this is 20th level, you want Time Stop and the like. Eternal Blade's 10th level ability is to take your turn as an immediate action - something to consider. Craft Contingency a few spells versus him casting in case he does win initiative, but you want to have 9th level arcane spells (just be a Conjurer with the immediate magic variant, please).

edit: alright, ive calculated the scores and everything....
If we go with a 18 17 16 15 14 13 score setup like we were thinking(put some extra power in there), I'd wind up with:
STR:5 (-3)
DEX:12(+1)
CON:11(0)
INT,WIS, CHA will depend on build, but have 21(+5), 26 (+8), and 33(+11)

If you're going to age, you want to be a Kobold with Dragonwrought.

I'd really like to get Serenity(from Dragon Magazine), but I dunno if DM is allowed. If I do, I'd probably put my highest in Wisdom, and instead of Sorc, use Generic Divine caster, maybe a real DC class. then I'd probably have a will save(including divine grace, switched to wisdom) of my base save+26. I don't know what the base save is yet because I don't know what I'm going to go.

Worry about your saves after you have your game plan to kill him figured out. Get that done, then worry about how to prevent what he's planning on doing.

I think I'm going to take Intuitive Attack to use Wis on attacks(still have monk or unarmed SS), since I've got plenty of Exalted Feats.
My AC would be 35(11 Wis, 1 dex, 1 size(halfling), 10 VoP, 2 VoP Nat Armor)

My level 10 NPC's have higher Armor Class than that. You shouldn't need to worry about your AC, anyway. Just kill him.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 07:24:11 PM by wO-_-OdrOw »
Mine's been a yard carefully surface-tended, foxes burrowed underground.
<--Warlord CCG, NOT DnD

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2009, 09:44:25 PM »
You shouldn't need to worry about your AC, anyway. Just kill him.
This. I'm not that threatening.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie