Author Topic: Exalted thread!  (Read 3204 times)

Radijs

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Exalted thread!
« on: May 29, 2008, 06:48:09 AM »

I began to play this game about a year ago. The campaign died because of schedule conflicts.
But recently I started in a new campaign and I gotta say, its great!

Its really cool because though you start out as a fresh Exalt, a lvl 1 character so to speak it still give you the feeling that you're already as souped up as a DnD character is at lvl 20. There's a lot less focus on wealth and magical items. Its really you and not your gear that makes the diffrence in the end.

Who else here likes it?
What part of Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn don't you understand?

heffroncm

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Re: Exalted thread!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 10:06:05 AM »
I've heard playing the game is like taking the top tier DCU super heroes into a Kobold cave, and you only get more powerful from there.

That said, I'm tempted to give it a swing with my play group.  They like that sort of thing :P

Radijs

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 11:47:29 AM »
Part of that is certainly true. You start out well, awesome. Empowered by the tools made my Autochton one of the creators of the world.

The thing is that your foes, the ones that matter have the same kind of power. And the bigger foes, such as the Death Lords, Yozi's, Lunar Exalts gone insane tend to have even more power then you.
So the element of challenge definately exists. The playing field is just, diffrent.
What part of Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn don't you understand?

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 11:50:56 AM »
Starting out with awesome amounts of power sounds just up the alley of some of my players. What's the combat like? What kind of powers are we talking about? See, you went and got me interested now...
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

StruckingFuggle

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 02:40:40 PM »
And what sort of system does it use?

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 03:18:38 PM »
I heard something about getting damage and skill bonuses for each point of description you give. Then I saw a webcomic where someone went on describing an action for several hours ("I wink, I tip my hat, I twitch my left finger..."). :lol
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

AlienFromBeyond

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 04:23:21 PM »
And what sort of system does it use?
Uses White Wolf's Storyteller system.

Yes there are Stunts that can give you up to 3 bonus dice depending on well the GM thinks you described the action.

Also, be very careful if joining a group of this, as it attracts a certain... crowd.

EntropicShadow

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Doth thou desire power?
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 05:41:05 PM »
I like what I have read from the Exalted books, but I have never gotten a chance to play. 
'Cause I'm a bit part demon, a small-time misfit
I say you'll be "Dead by Dawn" but I don't really mean it.
I'm a threat to no one. The other deadites make fun...
You suck!
Of me, Evil Eddy,the bit part demon

Radijs

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 06:28:56 AM »
character sheet
Its a d10 based system. The basics are similiar to World of Darkness, only tweaked so combat actually works.
This basically means that for every task you want to preform (IE: Picking a lock, sneaking around, hitting some poor schmuck with your Daiklave) you combine an attribute with an ability, adding their ratings together and rolling that many d10's. Every dice that comes up as a 7 or better adds a success to the roll and a die that comes up as a 10 adds two successes.
The more difficult a task is the more successes you need on your roll to preform the task.

The magical superpowers that you get here are called charms. And they come in a lot of diffrent flavors.
There's the basic charms called Excellencies that let you add dice to your pool or for a slightly higher cost automatic successes or even let you reroll if the result is bad.

Then there's charms that grant you extra attacks, more powerful attacks, allows you to make an attack that always hits or lets you dodge or parry an attack perfectly renouncing any chance it might have of succeeding.

On stunts: As PP said, the system awards bonuses to people who describe their actions in a nice way. Ranging from 1 to 3 bonus dice on that given action. It may sound a little strange but that small bonus can really help people getting into the game.
"I hit him with my daiklave." is no stunt, no extra dice.
But if I had gone something like this: "I run up to him, waving my sword overhead and slamming it down on the guy's head intending to split him in half with a single blow." That would have gotten me an extra die for the stunt.
It helps players to get into the game and it rewards them for roleplaying.

PP, what do you mean by 'certain crowd'?

Bejik

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • With great power comes responsibility, to abuse it
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 04:52:24 PM »
I've been playing in a "high XP" game for a while now, ie 300+, and it's really fun. It's different from d20 by a lot because the stunt system is counter to the basis of d20, ie describing something hard will be harder, but it breaks down to "your character is awesome, the universe respects your awesome." When you stunt if you describe something in the environment that the DM didn't it springs into existence. We've been having a lot of fun playing, have a Perfect Circle (I'm the Eclipse), a Lunar, and a Sidereal, plus my retinue. Just finished killing a lake made of Evil last week and then moved on to trade negotiations and ninja tactics. I highly recommend it and can offer answers to a large number of questions on the subject if anyone wants.

Also I think by "certain crowd" he probably means arts majors. Exalted, and most of the story teller games from White Wolf, tend to attract, at least stereotypically, more Arts majors interested in pages and pages of backstory over mechanics; while d20 games tend to attract more the science/engineering majors interested in the mechanics with an afterthought to fluff. You may have a lot of that kind of disparity but I find that for one thing it's good to stretch yourself into something new, and for another just because a stereotypical portion of the group do it one way doesn't mean it's the only way.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 05:01:29 PM by Bejik »
Maybe I'll reconstruct my sig from the WotC boards, maybe not, have to see.

Radijs

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 07:34:56 AM »
300+! Wow thats a lot of XP. The game I'm playin in started at 0 and we have now reached about 130 XP.
My Daybreak still hasn't got nearly all the charms & abilities he wants.

Bejik

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • With great power comes responsibility, to abuse it
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 04:33:50 PM »
Yeah picking up all the stuff you want/need takes forever. I focused really heavily into MA early on, weird for an Eclipse, and am not starting to regret it. Luckily my DB secretary "Radar" has most of the DB bureaucracy tree so that makes things easier, as do my socially aspected artifacts and hearthstones. My gaming groups is full of crazy power gamers, the kind that spec for combat and break Exalted, it doesn't handle specing for combat very well (breaks the mechanics something fierce for some reason). All sorts of fun though.
Maybe I'll reconstruct my sig from the WotC boards, maybe not, have to see.