Author Topic: Way of the wizard, new 3.5 game  (Read 12819 times)

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: Way of the wizard, new 3.5 game
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2009, 05:58:57 AM »
For the Dvati: Reincarnation makes you lose a level, you can be reincarnated for one of your body, but lose a level that way, starting level 4, in addition to the LA, that would make you start at level 3.

The idea was as backstory, and therefore not arbitrarily be a level lower then everyone (which of course, in general makes no sense at all for any of the raising spells, and is one reason I am a big fan of revenance + revivify, to avoid level loss which makes no sense in a game balanced by level.) But the point is I can't be a Dvati Orc without reincarnation, because Dvati is a race, not a class.

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2009, 09:55:35 AM »
LA buyback is in effect, yes, but it will make you start level 4, 3000 exp from level 5.

Transcript Godsblood spelltheft here.
Psionic Magic transparency is in effect, i don't wanna overthink the whole thing.Psionic Magic transparency is in effect, i don't wanna overthink the whole thing.
From here (usually referenced for Font of Inspiration, due to popularity of Factotum):
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070606
[spoiler]Godsblood Spelltheft

You derive power from your exposure to godsblood.

Prerequisites: Steal Spell as a class ability.

Benefits: Select a domain from one of the deities involved in the Time of Troubles on the following list:

Anhur, Bane, Bhaal, Clangeddin Silverbeard, Gilgeam, Gond, Gwaeron Windstrom, Hoar, Ibrandul, Iyachtu Xvim, Kelemvor, Labelas Enoreth, Leira, Malar, Mask, Myrkul, Mystra, Nobanion, Ramman, Red Knight, Selune, Shar, Shaundakul, Tiamat, Torm, Tymora.

When you steal a spell, you can use the stolen spell energy to cast a single spell from the domain you have chosen. The domain spell must be of equal or lower level than the spell you have stolen. If you do not cast this spell within one hour, the spell energy fades away harmlessly. You can select the good, evil, chaos, or law domain only if that domain does not conflict with your alignment. You can use this feat a number of times per day equal to your Charisma modifier. This ability functions in all other ways like the Steal Spell ability.

Special: This feat can only be selected once. [/spoiler]
Looking through the list, the following domains are valid:
[spoiler]Storm, Hatred, Tyranny, Death, Destruction, Retribution, Dwarf, Good, Law, Strength, War, Air, Strength, Tyranny, War, Craft, Earth, Fire, Knowledge, Metal, Planning, Animals, Good, Knowledge, Plants, Travel, Cavern, Darkness, Scalykind, Repose, Elf, Time, Deception, Illusion, Mist, Shadow (does this count for ScM entry???), Strength, Luck, Trickery, Death, Fate, Pestilence, Illusion, Magic, Rune, Spell, Animal, Nobility, Planning, War, Moon, Cavern, Darkness, Knowledge, Air, Portal, Protection, Trade, Evil, Scalykind, Tyranny, Healing, Law, Protection, Strength, Chaos, Good, Luck, Travel

Iyachtu Xvim (Fear Domain +?) or Ramman domains <-don't know, anybody have stats for these guys? [/spoiler]

With magic/psionic transparency, will I be using this from Complete Adventurer?
[spoiler]SPELLTHIEVES AND PSIONICS
A campaign that includes psionic characters, as described in the Expanded Psionics Handbook, would logically have room for psionic-themed spellthieves.

If psionics are common in your game, you have two options. The first is to allow spellthieves to affect both spells and psionic powers. <-I am interested in this.

The second is to create a new class, the psithief, that functions identically to the spellthief except that its special abilities affect psionic powers only.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 10:26:20 AM by jameswilliamogle »

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2009, 10:34:46 AM »
Fairly clear cut here, psionic powers are treated as if they were spells of the appropriate level(hmm, so if you can steal 9th level spells, could you steal a 1st level spell augmented to 9th, hmmm, going by how it interacts with sorcs, I guess not...), psi-like abilities, which are the psionic equivalent of SLAs, not an alternative reading of psionic powers, are treated as SLAs.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2009, 01:16:41 PM »
Gotcha.  And the Psithief feat would let me steal psionics and power my psionic powers, mainly (which I don't have).

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2009, 03:51:19 PM »
*cough*Most of my build ideas are coming from your guide already, thanks for a quality handbook.*cough*

In fact here he is, sans gear so far...
Zion

Why take magic mantle? This game won't have transparency?  I just can't imagine not having temporal acceleration for my 6th level power, esp when you can extend power it for free (or augment it once and get 4 extra rounds).  Still I can see UPD/UMD could be nice but don't you qualify to use most psionic items as it is?

I'm guessing you are going social wilder, but remember that inquisitor qualifies for cognition thief as well, so remember to get psionic blast for your 3rd level power, get practiced manifester at 6 and dip into cogthief1 for schism.

I will be watching your adventure with great anticipation young wilder.  Make me proud.
I did take the Magic Mantle to get Psionic Magic transparency for my character, but I might drop it/switch mantles.
Cognition thief looks very nice, thanks for the tip, As no Mantle gives Psionic Blast as a third level power, I'm dropping the mantle idea, I'll also change powers known accordingly...

Edit: Changed powers.
Expanded Knowledge is Astral Construct still
1st-Astral construct, Channel the Psychic Dragon, Entangling Ectoplasm
2nd-Concealing Amorpha.
No vigor, share pain combo?
Unless Alastar lets you mantle of awesome or do some heavy reformation i'd say elude touch> mantle.  Not too many things increase your touch AC so dramatically.  If freedom mantle didn't have a 6th level power i'd say it would be near perfect for gish builds.

I'd do Vigor/Share Pain except that I don't have the feats to acquire a Psicrystal just yet.
Currently playing:
Forte Lulz, Chaotic EVIL Bard bent on world domination;
Canere Potentia, to sing of power.
Aralaxax, Warforged Osteomancer, Machines are my people, I wield bones as other wield swords.
Randall Gray, she's not sexually confused, honest!
Zion "I can make followers, but why bother when people line up for me?"
Currently DMing: Real Men Use Their Hands, World's Largest Dungeon
"If you can pretend to be a half-orc barbarian or a dwarf wizard then you can pretend to be an alpha male."-Ninjarabbit
"The hotel shop only had two decent books, and I'd written both of them."-Douglas Adams
"It's funny how the Earth never opens up and swallows you when you want it to." Xander Harris, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2009, 08:29:01 PM »
I'm lazy to look around, so I will ask: wealth equal to WBL?

And I'm going Duskblade....

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2009, 10:43:31 PM »
Wealth equal WBL indeed.

Then if Dvati is a race, you shall not be an orc too, just that simple, sorry.

Psionic-magic transparency for the spellthief.

Gosblood is ok too.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2009, 10:57:42 PM »
Ok, i got spells and Languages left to choose. Any recommendations from party members?
Where can i draw spells from?

Oh, feats also.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 11:00:36 PM by Generic_PC »
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

The Lurker

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2009, 12:05:16 AM »
Hmmm, I got lost in the hustle.  Oops.

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #89 on: May 21, 2009, 03:19:34 PM »
Good to go, Al. Enjoy :D
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie