Author Topic: Way of the wizard, new 3.5 game  (Read 12884 times)

Samb

• Curious George
Re: Way of the wizard, new 3.5 game
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2009, 12:42:28 AM »
ah that makes sense.  I'm just glad that I am not the only person that uses wilders.  Maybe I inspired wordslinger?  Hope you like wilders as much as me.  Two wilders in one party could be interesting, and in all my years playing has never happened before.

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2009, 12:43:15 AM »
Perhaps its just too "wild"? :D

Samb

• Curious George
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2009, 12:44:35 AM »
Perhaps its just too "wild"? :D
It's gon' be off the hook!!!!

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2009, 12:59:00 AM »
LA buyback is in effect, yes, but it will make you start level 4, 3000 exp from level 5.

Catfolk is ok
wraithstrike is ok

Transcript Godsblood spelltheft here.

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2009, 01:01:50 AM »
Ok, getting ideas down for my Wilder and gathering information...
How do you feel about the Educated and Mantled Wilder ACFs (Here)?
I think I'd take Magic as my mantle, so that my powers would still get transparency. I'd use Expanded Knowledge for the Mindlink power I'd need to qualify for Thrallherd by 6th level.
Currently playing:
Forte Lulz, Chaotic EVIL Bard bent on world domination;
Canere Potentia, to sing of power.
Aralaxax, Warforged Osteomancer, Machines are my people, I wield bones as other wield swords.
Randall Gray, she's not sexually confused, honest!
Zion "I can make followers, but why bother when people line up for me?"
Currently DMing: Real Men Use Their Hands, World's Largest Dungeon
"If you can pretend to be a half-orc barbarian or a dwarf wizard then you can pretend to be an alpha male."-Ninjarabbit
"The hotel shop only had two decent books, and I'd written both of them."-Douglas Adams
"It's funny how the Earth never opens up and swallows you when you want it to." Xander Harris, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2009, 01:04:05 AM »
Is there anymore room in this game? I just got home from work and haven't had the chance to dig through the thread to see who else has jumped on-board. Will probably go do that now. >_>

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2009, 01:13:13 AM »
How do you feel about Kalashtar (ECS), Alastar?
Currently playing:
Aralaxax, Warforged Osteomancer, Machines are my people, I wield bones as other wield swords.
"If you can pretend to be a half-orc barbarian or a dwarf wizard then you can pretend to be an alpha male."-Ninjarabbit
"The hotel shop only had two decent books, and I'd written both of them."-Douglas Adams
"It's funny how the Earth never opens up and swallows you when you want it to." Xander Harris, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2009, 01:15:52 AM »
Hey Alastar, remember me? You totally forgot me in your list, I was on the first and second page, Dvati Dragonfire Adept.

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2009, 01:27:00 AM »
Lol, i keep forgetting people it seems.

Kalashtar is cool
The ACF is ok too, educated wilder sounds good too.

JMW
Solo
Wordslinger
Generic_PC
Risada
Kaelik

Nansork, sorry, but if you're going to be absent for the summer, I'll give your spot to someone more present.

Samb and VeenDygrem, terribly sorry, but i don't DM above 6 players, specially in PbP.

Congratulations on retained people, start making a character, If i don't have news before next tuesday, i give your spot to one of the others in line.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2009, 01:36:25 AM »
No problem, I've got a couple other games to play in anyway. Figured I'd give it a shot. :)

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2009, 01:55:15 AM »
As I build my character, I see the Mythal Attunement bonus feat mentioned in the initial post. I can't find an such feat using google and was wondering what the specifics of the feat were.
Currently playing:

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2009, 01:55:58 AM »
Fair enough, I understand. 
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Samb

• Curious George
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2009, 02:20:46 AM »
alastar you suck   :mad

Wordslinger:
take a look at my wilder handbook II for any help you might need.  I don't know how long you've been playing wilder but if you think I missed anything please add that in.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4368.0

Honestly, I'm just glad to find another wilder user.

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2009, 02:23:17 AM »
*cough*Most of my build ideas are coming from your guide already, thanks for a quality handbook.*cough*

In fact here he is, sans gear so far...
Zion
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 03:00:45 AM by TheWordSlinger »
Currently playing:

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2009, 03:07:41 AM »
Alastar, I was wondering, would you be okay with my Divati bodies having one or both of my bodies being reincarnated as a Frostblood Orc?

Or is precious reincarnation not a valid backstory application?

In case you are wondering, the reason being, one of them doing so gives both endurance, making steadfast determination realistic. Also, to be perfectly honest, I love the idea of people reincarnating.

I'm also totally willing to have (even if no Frostblood) a random reincarnation on the table (or a homemade one) if you'll allow me to ignore LA races.

This would make Dvati just a template applied to other bodies though, which while I have some RP ideas based on the roll, might be unbalancing.

Also, if you use the standard table, depending on the roll, could I choose the variant of the race from other splats, instead of taking the PHB one?

All this dependent on you allowing reincarnation backstory.

Also, while it might make more sense for only one to be reincarnated, I'm okay with your choice (assuming it goes down) of one, both, or one, but it transforms the other into that too.

Basically, with Dvati, res spells of all types including reincarnation work on different bodies, so I think it would be fun for either having different bodied twins or having one blame the other for losing their old bodies.

If this is all too complex to bother with, feel free to toss it. But I thought it might be fun.

Or, new thought, they turned into dragonborn to share similar bodies, because they hated having different looking ones.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 03:11:01 AM by Kaelik »

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2009, 03:11:16 AM »
If someone wants to front me 800 gold, i'll get a random reincarnation. I'm currently Human, but that can change.

I need more skill points. Or able learner. Is able Learner allowed?

Bard 5/Mindbender 1/Ur-Preist 2/Bard 1/Abjurant Champion 1/Sublime Chord 2/Mystic Theurge 8

I also need languages.
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

Samb

• Curious George
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2009, 03:17:48 AM »
*cough*Most of my build ideas are coming from your guide already, thanks for a quality handbook.*cough*

Zion

Why take magic mantle? This game won't have transparency?  I just can't imagine not having temporal acceleration for my 6th level power, esp when you can extend power it for free (or augment it once and get 4 extra rounds).  Still I can see UPD/UMD could be nice but don't you qualify to use most psionic items as it is?

I'm guessing you are going social wilder, but remember that inquisitor qualifies for cognition thief as well, so remember to get psionic blast for your 3rd level power, get practiced manifester at 6 and dip into cogthief1 for schism.

I will be watching your adventure with great anticipation young wilder.  Make me proud.

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2009, 04:14:06 AM »

Zion

Why take magic mantle? This game won't have transparency?  I just can't imagine not having temporal acceleration for my 6th level power, esp when you can extend power it for free (or augment it once and get 4 extra rounds).  Still I can see UPD/UMD could be nice but don't you qualify to use most psionic items as it is?

I'm guessing you are going social wilder, but remember that inquisitor qualifies for cognition thief as well, so remember to get psionic blast for your 3rd level power, get practiced manifester at 6 and dip into cogthief1 for schism.

I will be watching your adventure with great anticipation young wilder.  Make me proud.
I did take the Magic Mantle to get Psionic Magic transparency for my character, but I might drop it/switch mantles.
Cognition thief looks very nice, thanks for the tip, As no Mantle gives Psionic Blast as a third level power, I'm dropping the mantle idea, I'll also change powers known accordingly...

Edit: Changed powers.
Expanded Knowledge is Astral Construct still
1st-Astral construct, Channel the Psychic Dragon, Entangling Ectoplasm
2nd-Concealing Amorpha.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 04:31:14 AM by TheWordSlinger »
Currently playing:

Samb

• Curious George
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2009, 04:51:56 AM »

Zion

I did take the Magic Mantle to get Psionic Magic transparency for my character, but I might drop it/switch mantles.
Cognition thief looks very nice, thanks for the tip, As no Mantle gives Psionic Blast as a third level power, I'm dropping the mantle idea, I'll also change powers known accordingly...

Edit: Changed powers.
Expanded Knowledge is Astral Construct still
1st-Astral construct, Channel the Psychic Dragon, Entangling Ectoplasm
2nd-Concealing Amorpha.
No vigor, share pain combo?
Unless Alastar lets you mantle of awesome or do some heavy reformation i'd say elude touch> mantle.  Not too many things increase your touch AC so dramatically.  If freedom mantle didn't have a 6th level power i'd say it would be near perfect for gish builds.

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2009, 05:34:44 AM »
Woaaaaaaaahhh lotsa things to ponder.

For the Dvati: Reincarnation makes you lose a level, you can be reincarnated for one of your body, but lose a level that way, starting level 4, in addition to the LA, that would make you start at level 3.

Alternatively, Orcs have a place in Keysackran society, if you wanna be a dvati orc, cool. 

Psionic Magic transparency is in effect, i don't wanna overthink the whole thing.

Mythal attunement is a custom made feat witch will give you advantages inside major keysackran cities, more to come, no real direct effects.

Sorry Samb :(