Author Topic: "Give yourself the stats you want."  (Read 14073 times)

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: "Give yourself the stats you want."
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2009, 02:04:43 PM »
Kudos go to my DM, who devised this.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2009, 06:45:00 PM »
I always liked, roll 2d8+2 six times, put them in any order you like, because it forces characters to deal with scores at the extremes alot more, and gives the characters a more organic feel.
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

dither

• Hong Kong
  • Breaking the ninth wall
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2009, 06:50:18 PM »
I always liked, roll 2d8+2 six times, put them in any order you like, because it forces characters to deal with scores at the extremes alot more, and gives the characters a more organic feel.

I just tried that. What the hell am I supposed to do with these stats? Guess I'm looking at half-orc barbarian...  :lmao

Seriously, your average score for this system is 2(4.5)+2 = 11. This would be a great system for rolling up commoners.

2d8+2
4,7+2 = 13
2d8+2
7,3+2 = 12
2d8+2
5,4+2 = 11
2d8+2
2,1+2 = 5
2d8+2
5,3+2 = 10
2d8+2
3,1+2 = 6
"Stuck between a rogue and a bard place."

vanity
Read my webcomic!
Dither's Amazing Changing Avatars

[spoiler]
Quote from: Shadowhunter
Quote from: Flay Crimsonwind
"Vegeta! What does the scouter say about Dither's power level?"
It's over nine thousand!

Quote from: Bauglir
Quote from: Anklebite
Quote from: dither
Well blow me down! :P
A SECTION OF THE CAVERN HAS COLLAPSED!
dither, Miner, has died after colliding with an obstacle!
[/spoiler]

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2009, 07:02:10 PM »
a 1/64 chance for a 3 or 18 versus a 1/216
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

dither

• Hong Kong
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2009, 07:19:43 PM »
a 1/64 chance for a 3 or 18 versus a 1/216

I think the chance of getting a 3 using your system is 0. (2d8+2, right?)

vanity
Read my webcomic!

[spoiler]
It's over nine thousand!

[/spoiler]

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2009, 07:31:10 PM »
... yes, silly me, I haven't been getting enough sleep resently... kept having the same dream... damn hooker-ghost-ninja....

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2009, 09:41:09 AM »
1d20 reroll 1's, 2's, 19's, and 20's? :p

You'll just have to find a d16 somewhere so you can add 2.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2009, 09:44:21 AM »
1d20 reroll 1's, 2's, 19's, and 20's? :p

You'll just have to find a d16 somewhere so you can add 2.

d12 + d6? ;-)

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2009, 10:18:58 AM »
d12 + d6? ;-)
It was a joke, but the idea was to maximize the variation.  As soon as you roll two dice, you end up with a bell curve distribution, making it more likely to roll in the middle and less likely to roll at either extreme.  The more dice you add, the more this is exaggerated.

So, if you were to roll 1d16+2 to generate your stats, you'd have a 1/16 chance to get a 3, 10, or 18; each would be equally likely.  You would end up with some very wierd looking characters.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

dither

• Hong Kong
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2009, 12:28:31 PM »
So, if you were to roll 1d16+2 to generate your stats, you'd have a 1/16 chance to get a 3, 10, or 18; each would be equally likely.  You would end up with some very wierd looking characters.

"Is that a third arm coming out of his chest?"
- "Aye. It flipped me the bird when I tried to give 'im a high-five."

vanity
Read my webcomic!

[spoiler]
It's over nine thousand!

[/spoiler]

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2009, 12:30:58 PM »
Wouldn't it be simpler to just roll 2d6+6?  It gives a nice 8-18 spread, with an average of around 12.
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

dither

• Hong Kong
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2009, 12:38:33 PM »
Wouldn't it be simpler to just roll 2d6+6?  It gives a nice 8-18 spread, with an average of around 12.

Seconded.

(Though I usually let 'em roll 3d6, and make the lowest roll the six. Then their average result 13+.)

vanity
Read my webcomic!

[spoiler]
It's over nine thousand!

[/spoiler]

Korimyr the Rat

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2009, 02:19:33 PM »
Someone on the Paizo boards has his players use point-buy as normal, and then roll 4d6 drop lowest in order down the line of scores. Player keeps the better score. I kinda like that method, but hate randomness in general so I'm unlikely to use it.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2009, 04:45:21 PM »
That's very interesting.  I agree that I'm not sure I'd use it, but at least you know you have a minimum of X on a particular stat.  I guess the system will potentially yield the occasional smart fighter or strong wizard without hurting them in their core competency.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2009, 07:42:17 PM »
I actually really like that system.  I might try it some time.

JaronK

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2009, 08:23:20 PM »
Way to abuse that: Give your character 12s or 13s or 14s all around (so that you spread your points for maximum increase/minimum cost), and then roll, then make the character based on the stats you get. No stat below 14 and you have probably got a 16 or 2 in there. :D

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2009, 12:17:20 AM »
Except that makes you far less likely to get a good stat where it matters most.  A Wizard, for example, could easily be stuck with an Int of 14.  Power wise, he'd be equivalent to any other Int 14 Wizard, most likely.  The fact that he might have a Wis or Str of 16 hardly matters much.  Honestly I'd imagine going the other way would be better... through an 18 in your primary stats, and hope the rolling removes any 8s you leave in your build.

JaronK

Korimyr the Rat

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2009, 07:51:43 AM »
Way to abuse that: Give your character 12s or 13s or 14s all around (so that you spread your points for maximum increase/minimum cost), and then roll, then make the character based on the stats you get. No stat below 14 and you have probably got a 16 or 2 in there. :D

Except that makes you far less likely to get a good stat where it matters most.  A Wizard, for example, could easily be stuck with an Int of 14.  Power wise, he'd be equivalent to any other Int 14 Wizard, most likely.  The fact that he might have a Wis or Str of 16 hardly matters much.  Honestly I'd imagine going the other way would be better... through an 18 in your primary stats, and hope the rolling removes any 8s you leave in your build.

Hence his comment that you play around what you get, instead of building around what you intend to play.

The nice thing is they're both valid strategies. If you want to be a specific, focused caster, you dump all your points in your casting stat and then Dex and Con and hope for the best. If you want to be a MAD class, multiclassed, or just overall competent, put your points in two or three good stats and hope for the best. If you're not sure what you want to play, buy the highest straight array you can afford and play to the strengths the dice give you.

I don't know. I think I still dislike the random elements of character creation enough to avoid using something like this, even if I have to admire the sheer brilliance of it.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2009, 10:58:20 AM »

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2009, 04:19:59 PM »
That being said, what IS the average of 4d6 drop lowest? How do I even calculate that?
I don't know off the top of my head, but I seem to remember it being pretty close to 12.5.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]