Author Topic: A Thri-Kreen Discussion  (Read 3696 times)

Levithix

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
A Thri-Kreen Discussion
« on: May 15, 2009, 11:58:32 PM »
I am soon going to start a game playing as a Thri-Kreen going for dervish and I've found very little 3.5 support for the race.
How does a race that doesn't sleep deal with fatigue? I've found nowhere that says they are immune to fatigue, but it doesn't really make sense for a race that doesn't get tired to get fatigued.  Also, hustling for more then an hour between sleep cycles causes fatigue, so are thri-kreen always fatigued after they hustle for the second hour of their life?  They'd seem really reliant on cure spells.  How do races that do not sleep heal hp?

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
Re: A Thri-Kreen Discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 12:01:26 AM »
Just because they don't need to sleep doesn't mean they don't need to rest.

Edit: Where do you get the idea they don't need to sleep? All I see is immunity to magic sleep effects.

Double edit: Thri-kreen are monstrous humanoids, and according to the SRD:

Quote from: SRD
Monstrous humanoids eat, sleep, and breathe.

Levithix

• Email
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 12:40:18 AM »
Oh, sorry. Only a few books say that they do not sleep. Shinning South from forgotten realms is one that says that that is why they are immune to sleep.
The dark sun setting go more in depth into them saying that they find other races and their tendency to sleep for a third of their lives disturbing.

Tetsubo

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 05:00:05 AM »
I love pretty much all of the anthro races in D&D but the thri-kreen are my favorite of them all.

As far back as I can remember (to 1E) the thri-kreen have never needed to sleep. It is how I have *always* played them. It also explains their shorter lifespan. While they may not live as long, they get almost as much 'life' as the other races. It also makes sense because insects don't actually sleep either.

As for recovering from fatigue or other sleep dependent effects... just have them rest. Sort of like how an elf meditates.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 02:30:01 AM »
We've got a guy in my group that's currently got a thri-keen. The fatigue thing is treated as if he were an undead or construct. Be like wizards. They don't necessarily sleep, they just meditate.

Also, our guy's a Warblade. Those jump checks are ridiculous btw. But the DM counts his daily meditation as "sleep".
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Levithix

• Email
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 05:20:36 AM »
I wonder if i can get the DM to agree to that.
It doesn't make sense to me that a race that doesn't sleep would get tired.
I plan to be a dervish so i'll be pumping my speed, massive jump check ... don't know what i'd do with the jump check, but I will be able to jump really well.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 06:01:56 AM »
Pounce + Battle Jump ;)
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 08:37:26 AM »
I wonder if i can get the DM to agree to that.
It doesn't make sense to me that a race that doesn't sleep would get tired.
I plan to be a dervish so i'll be pumping my speed, massive jump check ... don't know what i'd do with the jump check, but I will be able to jump really well.
With the jump check, you can pretty much do anything. The reason he took Thri-keen was because he'd been looking at the Warblade class, and a lot of the abilities that the class can get, uses the jump check on bonuses against AC.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 06:19:57 PM »
Hood, meet giant killer praying mantis.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"