Author Topic: On Clerics and Spells Known  (Read 1829 times)

Naldor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
On Clerics and Spells Known
« on: May 15, 2009, 02:42:18 PM »
I posted this in the "simple question" thread, and didn't really get a good answer, so here goes with a not-so-simple question:

Are clerics / other divine casters considered to "know" all their spells, even the ones they can't cast?  Specifically, I'm looking to dip a level of Cleric, then use Uncanny Forethought from Exemplars of Evil to spontaneously cast a cleric spell "known" using an arcane spell slot.

There seems to be some precedent in the form of our lovely miracle-spewing level 6 Cleric via Heighten & Sanctum spell.  If it doesn't work normally, could that combination allow me to pull it off?  I'm working on a nice little build to share with the boards, but I'd like to get this point clarified before I go ahead and get an illegal build shot down in flames.

Thanks!

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
Re: On Clerics and Spells Known
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 03:26:35 PM »
Divine casters with full access to their complete spell list do not have a 'spells known' category.

Spells known specifically apply to classes that have spell lists that expand (wizards scribing new scrolls, sorcerers with their expanding lists, etc).

So in short, there's no RAW support either way.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Zombieboots

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Ska-ull
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 03:56:43 PM »
I have always thought the feat was worded strangely because wizards do not have "spells known" they have "spell prepared," and spells in your book. Known spells were for things such as Sorcerers and Bards.
However I am an not prepared to get into a word slinging arguement.

If you are looking for a divine caster that needs to functon similiar to a Wizard perhaps Archivist may suit your needs.
Ah! Maddness. Thank you.[spoiler][/spoiler]

bayar

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 04:02:27 PM »
Or a Favored Soul. Or a Spellcaster.

Naldor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 04:47:27 PM »
Isn't "spells known" for a wizard generally considered to be the spells they have in their spell book?  Alacritous Cogitation would seem to imply so.

If my build were something like:

Wiz 1 / Clr 1 / Mystic Theurge 10 / Dweomerkeeper 8,

Would I be able to say, use Uncanny Forethought + Arcane Spellsurge + Supernatural Spell to cast say, True Resurrection as a standard action w/out any components?