Author Topic: Archmage SLA  (Read 2845 times)

Archmage Joda

• Bi-Curious George
  • Parenchaaaaaaaaaannn!!!
    • Email
Archmage SLA
« on: May 13, 2009, 05:54:17 AM »
I was reading the archmage PrC in my DMG, and read the section on the Spell-Like Ability High Arcana. I noticed that while XP components were specifically not waived, the material components part of the spell being turned into an SLA only had a clause converting expensive material components to XP based on their price. Let's use, for example, the infamous Ice Assassin spell from Frostburn. Would archmage's spell like ability thus bypass the need for material components such as the DNA sample (I know, sounds too sci-fi when I say it like that, but it's essentially what it is) in Ice Assassin?
"My advanced brain is far too meaty to be swayed. Plus, it's practically dripping with genius sauce made from a special recipe of 11 herbs and spices" - Black Mage

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Re: Archmage SLA
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 06:28:25 AM »
I was reading the archmage PrC in my DMG, and read the section on the Spell-Like Ability High Arcana. I noticed that while XP components were specifically not waived, the material components part of the spell being turned into an SLA only had a clause converting expensive material components to XP based on their price. Let's use, for example, the infamous Ice Assassin spell from Frostburn. Would archmage's spell like ability thus bypass the need for material components such as the DNA sample (I know, sounds too sci-fi when I say it like that, but it's essentially what it is) in Ice Assassin?

Some things, such as artifacts, have no price listed, but are extremely hard to obtain. I, for one, feel that this would limit the Archmage's ability to use such a spell as an SLA unless the player was able to procure the material component and convert it into a focus the way the class specifies.

That's just the way I'd rule on this. As written, the text would agree with your assessment. As such, I feel this would be more appropriate in the TO section of the boards.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 10:01:01 AM »
I noticed that while XP components were specifically not waived, the material components part of the spell being turned into an SLA only had a clause converting expensive material components to XP based on their price.

I think the archmage makes such a provision because it is assumed that your spell component pouch will provide for any inexpensive material component (ie: anything without a gp cost). So if you can pull one out of your pouch, you can pull 5, 10, 50 or however many you require.

Stuff like DNA sample (I am going by what is listed here because I can't access my books at the moment), I suppose your DM will have to adjudicate if your component pouch can provide such an item. I think he may require you to have a larger sample to serve as a focus of sorts.

And this is why I have never really liked the idea of joke spell components.  :lol
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 02:49:37 PM »
Typically, artifacts have no GP cost listed.  Can I safely assume I can freely use artifacts as spell components RAW?
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 03:59:23 PM »
Yes, you can.

Archmage Joda

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 04:37:02 PM »
Where is that thing about converting the material component to a focus stated? I could not find such a thing in the ability description in my book.
"My advanced brain is far too meaty to be swayed. Plus, it's practically dripping with genius sauce made from a special recipe of 11 herbs and spices" - Black Mage

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 04:48:19 PM »
Where is that thing about converting the material component to a focus stated? I could not find such a thing in the ability description in my book.

My bad, that's in the CArc feat that gives you an SLA at will.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 04:49:02 PM »
Typically, artifacts have no GP cost listed.  Can I safely assume I can freely use artifacts as spell components RAW?

just be prepared for the inevitable book flying at your head. Not even using this trick just telling the DM about it i got multiple books and a sandwich thrown at me. Fortunately i was hungry and ate the sandwich as retaliation.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Archmage Joda

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 05:03:58 PM »
Well, it's not really something I'd actually use, and that's also why I tell my DM about things like that over the internet, since all he can throw at me over an IM is links that I probably shouldn't click.

So yeah, I guess Sinfire was right about this being more TO, but I had forgotten this site had a TO section.

Archmage Joda

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 05:48:36 AM »
A thought occurs to me: why is it that, for ice assassin stunts like making a clone of a god for divine rank, that it's always the ice assassin spell used, and not simulacrum instead?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 08:08:10 AM »
A thought occurs to me: why is it that, for ice assassin stunts like making a clone of a god for divine rank, that it's always the ice assassin spell used, and not simulacrum instead?

It has no HD cap.  And "the ice assassin possesses all of the skills, abilities, and memories possessed by the original," is far more open ended than "the appropriate hit points, feats, skill ranks, and special abilities for a creature of that level or HD". 
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Archmage Joda

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 03:42:17 PM »
Well, looking at archmage's Spell-Like ability again, I get the feeling that it couldn't be done without either being in epic levels with a thought bottle, or destroying the character, since with ice assassin's 20,000 gp diamond and normal XP cost of 5000, which with Spell-Like ability, would make using the ability cost at least 205,000 XP.