Author Topic: The Warblade Handbook  (Read 116863 times)

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
The Warblade Handbook
« on: May 12, 2009, 02:15:08 AM »
Or, How the Fighter should be.Post 2: Basics
Post 3: PHB races, plus a couple extras that I like.
Post 4: Martial Schools
Post 5: Tome Of Battle Prestige Classes, Feats
Post 6: Magic Items
Post 7: Reserved for more space if need be.

Currently, I am editing this guide to make it more exciting and impressive. Please bear with me. Red means bad, blue means good, Black means neither, or average, or both, or doesn't matter much, depending on context and such. This has been ripped from Dictum Mortum(?), as he has great guides and everyone else does it too.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 10:29:40 PM by Generic_PC »
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Warblade Basics
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 02:16:06 AM »

Full BAB
d12 hit die

Good fort

4+int, from a respectable list

However, Bad Ref and Will saves are bad.

Warblades Abilities?

Str:
You are a melee character. Str helps you hit in melee.
Con:Dex: Higher AC, Higher Reflex saves. If you go TWF with Tiger Claw, this works well with Weapon Finesse.
Int: Increases reflex saves, to-hit rolls, opposed bull rushes and things and eventually AoOs.
Wis: Pump up that will save. You are scary when dominated.
Cha: Dump. Like usual.

A little bit MAD? Not really. Your stats don't need to be as high as a Monks. Order your stats Str/Con>Str/Con>Dex>Int>Wis>Cha.

Class Features
The warblade really has no great things for class features, other than maneuvers, which are the most important part of the class. None of it really really sucks, however.

Battle Clarity:
+int to reflex saves. This helps offset the horrible reflex save you have.
Weapon Aptitude:Uncanny Dodge: Increased Armour Class is always a good thing. Technically this won't improve your armour class, but it will make it harder for you to lose it.
Battle Ardor: +int to confirm critical hits! Its not bad, but the application is a little narrow.
Battle Cunning: +int on damage against flat-footed or flanked opponents. Pretty good, especially with a flanking rogue in the party.
Battle Skill:Battle Mastery: +int on attack and damage, but only on attacks of opportunity. Not great, especially at 15th level, but not unwanted.
Improved Uncanny Dodge: Yes, no flanks for you. Great if your DM is fond of throwing high level rogues at you.
Stance Mastery: If you decide to take Warblade this far, this is great. Getting 2 stances at once is so strong. This alone makes Warblade 20 a powerful build. Plus the Maneuver stuff.

You also get bonus feats from a respectable list, but not a great one. If you really want to go into Master of Nine, it helps a little bit. Still means you need to fill up most of your feats.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 10:10:48 PM by Generic_PC »
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Races
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 02:16:18 AM »
From the PHB:

Humans: Good at EVERYTHING. Literally, you can't go wrong if you tried. (actually, I lied. BUT... It is hard. Maybe Warblade 3/Monk 17?)

Dwarves: Bonus to Con, Penalty to our dump stat. Dwarves also get Dwarven Waraxes and Urgosh(es? i?) as martial weapons, which is extra options.

Elves: Ugh. Penalty to Con, Bonus to Dex, but its rarely worth it. Elves do get access to the Eternal Blade PrC, which deserves mentioning as it is REALLY GOOD. Honestly, it is retardedly good.

Gnomes: Not bad, not great. Bonus to Con, penalty to str. Small size means small weapons, which are very bad for a primary meleer.

Half-elves:
Like usual, Half-elves are a sub-par choice. I can't see any reason to be a Half Elf (other than RP.)

Half-orcs: Aren't bad, but aren't great. Bonus to Str is kind of diminished by the penalty to int, although cha doesn't matter at all.

Halflings:
Bonus to dex, penalty to str. I would say that Halflings are worse than Gnomes, but really, neither choice has any huge advantages or disadvantages. Unless you have access to the Halfling which gets a bonus feat, making it a much better choice.

Note, few races are truly bad for a warblade. Any race with a bonus to charisma or wisdom is usually a poor choice, however.

Some Notable Choices outside the PHB:

Dragonborn:
A CO staple. Go for Wings or Senses. The +Con is beautiful, and if you're careful you can remove some penalties used to balance races. (Light Sensitivity for Orcs is notable.)

Goliath: Powerful Build and some good stat bonuses. Powerful Build is the most important part though.

Half-Giant:
As the Goliath, but it opens up Psionics, and Expansion is just so good for melee characters. One could do worse than pick up a level or two of PsyWar somewhere in a Warblade build, and Half-Giant gives you a couple bonus power points for it. +1 LA, but I think it's worth it.

Warforged: Warforged get a ton of immunities, and the +Con, -Cha is great for a Warblade. High wis is a nice thing, but you were gonna dump it after Cha anyway. As noted in the comments, the aptness of "Iron Heart" is just perfect.

Thri-Keen: The non-psionic version is probably better, as you only take 2HD and 1LA as a penalty for having 4 arms and some +Str/+Dex. The -Int isn't ideal, but it isn't horrid either, because honestly, having 4 arms probably cancels it out. You do give up 3 ECL, however. That isn't exactly pocket change.

Elf Variants: Honestly, there are Elf variants for anything you care to name. This gives you access to the beautiful Eternal Blade PrC, without the poor stat bumps that come from the PHB Elf race. Ultimately though, you're still playing an Elf.

Water Orc: A favourite on CO, the Water Orc somehow gets a free +2 Con over the MM Orc. Dragonborn Water Orc is a pretty odd combo that shows up quite a lot on CO.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 10:11:09 PM by Generic_PC »

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Maneuvers and Things
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 02:16:29 AM »
Martial Schools

note, no colours here, since most of this is derived from my own play experience, which is only one kind of DND.

Warblades get access to 5 martial schools, Diamond Mind, Iron Heart, Stone Dragon, Tiger Claw and White Raven. I, generally, find Diamond Mind and Iron Heart the best, while i use White Raven the least. This section will probably present that huge bias. [From now on, the schools will be referred to in short form, using only the first letter of each word. DM, IH, SD, TC, WR.] If you're set on Warblading, have some foresight and look at maneuvers you want to get. The pre-reqs can get punishing for level 9 stances. (accepting the SD capstone, which is ridiculous with a requirement of 0 SD maneuvers.)

1st level:
[spoiler]
Stances you have access to are...

Stance of Clarity (DM)
Punishing Stance (IH)
Stonefoot Stance (SD)
Blood in the Water, Hunter's Sense (TC)
Bolstering Voice, Leading the Charge (WR)

Of these, i like Hunter's Sense the best. Scent is a good ability. Blood in the Water is good, and can get absolutely sick with a build that focuses on it (Dual-wielding +1 Keen Kukri). Punishing Stance is nice if you prefer to deal damage, but isn't gamebreaking or anything. Bolstering Voice can be good at early levels, but the fear bonus just isn't helpful until higher levels, where you will have better stances. Stance of Clarity is good if your DM prefers single combats, or combats where the BBEG has a bunch of mooks with no chance of hitting you other than on critical hits. Leading the Charge can be useful in a larger group, with more than 1 main meleer. Stonefoot Stance is horrible. It is like being a Dwarven Defender, but WORSE. Don't do it. Its an Admiral Ackbar sized trap. I don't care what you want it for, it sucks.

Maneuvers you get are...

Moment of Perfect Mind, Sapphire Nightmare Blade (DM)
Steel Wind, Steely Strike (IH)
Charging Minotaur, Stone Bones (SD)
Sudden Leap, Wolf Fang Strike (TC)
Douse the Flames, Leading the Attack (WR)

Level 1 is a pretty boring level for maneuvers. They aren't exactly staggering. Special mention goes to Moment of Perfect Mind, which gives you a huge bonus to your will save. It is made for those joyous will saves you succeed to avoid becoming, say... the BBEGs minion for 5 turns. Sapphire Nightmare Blade isn't bad, but it isn't staggering. +1d6 and you get a bonus to hit if you succeed on a concentration check. (at level 1, this is actually really nice, but level 1 isn't that long...) Steel Wind is pretty good, as extra attacks normally are. Especially at this level, where you might be fighting things that only have a couple hit points. Steely Strike isn't as good though. At any level, monsters will out number players. You have better things to ready than this. Charging Minotaur is good, especially if you have a good str mod. Stone Bones is nice at this level, since it essentially makes you immune to damage for one round at the low levels. It levels poorly, unfortunately. Sudden Leap is always good, as it lets you take a full attack action after you move. This is better for TWFers or high BAB characters, and thus isn't very useful yet, unfortunately. Wolf Fang Strike is ok, but not great. It basically gives you TWF for a single attack, but with any two weapons you can hold in only one hand. It requires special mention however, as it is the only first level tiger claw strike without a maneuver pre-req. Leading the Attack isn't spectacularly bad, especially if your DM prefers single enemies in combat, like with Stance of Clarity. Douse the Flames is ok, especially for disabling that crazy spiked chain tripper at first level. Oh wait...

To sum up: A lot of mediocrity. Nothing too gamebreaking for level 1. Moment of Perfect Mind is worth keeping till 20, because Concentration ranks + Con should always be higher than your will save. Sudden Leap is nice if you're building a TWF character, so you get all your attacks every round.
[/spoiler]
2nd level:
[spoiler]
No stances at level 2, only maneuvers...

Action Before Thought, Emerald Razor (DM)
Disarming Strike, Wall of Blades (IH)
Mountain Hammer, Stone Vise (SD)
Claw at the Moon, Rabid Wolf Strike (TC)
Battle Leaders Charge, Tactical Strike (WR)

Level 2 maneuvers aren't bad. Action Before Thought functions identically to Moment of Perfect Mind, but replaces your other bad save, Reflex. This makes it good. Emerald Razor lets you ignore a large chunk of AC, and is good against city guards, dwarves in platemail and party members, all of whom will probably have armour and shield bonuses. (This scales well, as was pointed out. Touch Attacks are wonderful.) Disarming Strike does pretty much like it says. It is good if you're wanting that bad guys sword out of his hands because there is no chance of losing your own weapon, your most important tool, and the AoOs normally associated with disarming (Who has Imp. Disarm as a feat?) do not apply. Wall of Blades is wonderful, especially since you are focusing more on your attack roll than armour. Mountain Hammer is nice for bashing through walls, doors and adamantine things, apart from the obvious use of destroying things with DR. Stone Vise is ok, but not as good as it might seem at first glance. The second level of tiger claw is interesting in that neither maneuver requires anything. Claw at the Moon is nice if you can make the jump checks, Rabid Wolf Strike isn't bad, but i don't like taking huge penalties like that, especially when Claw at the Moon gives the same bonuses. Battle Leaders Charge isn't great. I suppose that avoiding AoOs while you charge is nice, but 10 points of damage isn't anything to write home about. (A good point that I failed to notice is that at level 3, 10 damage is significant, and if you're into pouncing, it fulfills that very well.) Tactical Strike is very nice, as controlling the battlefield usually is. It is somewhat limited, however.
[/spoiler]
3rd level:
[spoiler]
More stances!

Pearl of Black Doubt (DM)
Absolute Steel Stance (IH)
Crushing Weight of the Mountain, Roots of the Mountain (SD)
Leaping Dragon Stance, Wolverine Stance (TC)
Tactics of the Wolf (WR)

Lets start by saying that Leaping Dragon Stance is broken. Its probably a misprint, but as written, it gives a +10 foot enhancement to any jump checks you make. Not a +10 bonus. +10 feet. This makes it incredibly powerful. (You're also always running for jumps, which is another nice thing.) Check it with your DM. Wolverine Stance is nice if you have a DM that tends to like grappling monsters, and if you're focused on grappling for some weird reason, Crushing Weight of the Mountain is too. Roots of the Mountain is like making yourself a mini Dwarven Defender, but if your DM likes those alternative combat options, it might not be bad. (Its awesome for Lock Down Knight/Crusaders...) Pearl of Black Doubt is great against piles of little guys, as you slowly become unhittable over a round. Absolute Steel Stance is... bad. You're making full attacks. I can see the appeal for say, a Skirmisher, but Warblades don't get Skirmish. Its becoming commonplace for White Raven now, but Tactics of the Wolf is best with multiple melee characters. A bonus to damage equal to your Initiator level is great, but only if people are flanking. Nice for a party of rogues too.

Maneuvers:

Insightful Strike, Mind over Body (DM)
Exorcism of Steel, Iron Heart Surge (IH)
Bonecrusher, Stone Dragon's Fury (SD)
Flesh Ripper, Soaring Raptor Strike (TC)
Lion's Roar, White Raven Tactics (WR)

All you need to know about third level Warblade maneuvers is Iron! Heart! Surge!

Thanks Solo. Anyway, Iron Heart Surge is the best maneuver ever. Enervated? Iron Heart Surge. Stuck in a web? Iron Heart Surge. Ray of Exhaustion got you down? Iron Heart Surge. The other special mention in this level is White Raven Tactics, which breaks the action economy. Did your wizard cast a spell already? Well, now she can go after me. Technically, you can delay until after their turn and then do it again, but that is likely to get your DM very angry. Lion's Roar is lackluster and depends on dropping an opponent, so skip it. Soaring Raptor Strike isn't bad, but its only usable against opponents larger than you, which means it won't work in all cases. Most of the monsters you fight as you get into higher levels are larger than you, but for some DMs, you won't fight any larger opponents through the entire campaign. YMMV. Flesh Ripper is too short to be a good debuff. (1 round? -4 to Attack and AC. Ew.) Stone Dragon's Fury, similar to SRS, is limited, but even more so, only being useful against constructs and objects. Stick to Mountain Hammer if you're having trouble with walls. Bonecrusher isn't as bad as SDF, but the secondary effect is essentially useless unless you have some kind of critical optimization character in your party. Exorcism of Steel is horrid, to make up for the "I win" that is Iron Heart Surge. Mind over Body replaces your good save, so it isn't quite as good as the other two of the series. (However, still nice as you don't automatically fail skill checks on a 1.) Insightful Strike isn't bad, as its easy to get your Concentration check through the roof, (its like replacing your damage for d20+Concentration. Do you normally roll d20s on your damage? Is your concentration+Con better than 1.5*Str?) but its really lackluster when compared to Iron Heart Surge and White Raven Tactics.

[/spoiler]
4th level:
[spoiler]On the way![/spoiler]
5th level:
6th level:
7th level:
[spoiler]
There is a single stance at Level 7, Prey on the Weak (TC). TC doesn't get a stance at level 5, so apparently it fits here. It isn't bad, but I don't think its game-breaking. Extra attacks are nice.

Maneuvers:

Avalanche of Blades, Quicksilver Motion (DM)
Finishing Move, Scything Blade (IH)
Ancient Mountain Hammer, Colossus Strike (SD)
Hamstring Attack, Swooping Dragon Strike (TC)
Clarion Call, Swarming Assault (WR)

This is a really good level for DM, IH and WR. Quicksilver Motion is like having pounce 1/encounter, and easier than Sudden Leap to use. (Admittedly, Sudden Leap is level 1, and with Leaping Dragon Stance...) Perfect for the first round, when you're getting into the fray. And the level after you get 7th level maneuvers, you'll also be getting your 4th BAB attack. (+16/+11/+6/+1) You want extra attcks, go with Avalanche of Blades. Your BAB gives you bonus attacks at a -5 penalty. Avalanche of Blades gives you bonus attacks at -4. If you're pumping to hit, or your opponent has really low AC, this is pretty awesome. Bonus attacks always are. Finishing Move is nice for really big, single opponents, but when you're dealing with multiple smaller enemies, 14d6 is a lot of overkill. Scything Blade is nice, like a cleave without requirements, but overshadowed by Avalanche of Blades, which usually will give you more than 1 attack. Ancient Mountain Hammer is the latest in the Mountain Hammer series, and the same advantages and disadvantages apply. Colossus Strike is interesting, and useful on occasion, but Fortitude is the worst save to target for monsters, generally. Hamstring Strike is wonderful. Even if they make their save, they take dex damage and a speed penalty? Nice. As with most of the TC maneuvers, if you can make the jump check, Swooping Dragon Strike is great. Stun+10d6 damage is never amiss in a fight. Clarion Call is awesome. You can initiate it basically whenever, and grant allies extra move actions/attacks? Once again, White Raven breaks the action economy. Swarming Assault, by comparison, is pretty lame, but if you're fighting 1 BBEG vs party, it is pretty good.
[/spoiler]
8th level:
9th level:
[spoiler]
Again, this level is only maneuvers. Ridiculous Maneuvers.

Time Stands Still (DM)
Strike of Perfect Clarity (IH)
Mountain Tombstone Strike (SD)
Feral Death Blow (TC)
War Master's Charge (WR)

Ah, level 9. I love this level. We'll start with Time Stands Still. Two full attack actions. Its good. It is probably the best 9th level maneuver here. Its also my favourite, no questions asked. When you're a level 17 Warblade, you'll be doing 4 attacks a turn with huge damage, hopefully. This doubles that. Great. Strike of Perfect Clarity, by comparison, is rather underwhelming. Massive damage is all well and good, but really, +100 damage, at 17th level, isn't exactly game-breaking. Admittedly, few level 17 monsters can just ignore 100 damage... Mountain Tombstone Strike is good. Pick it up. 2d6 of Con, like +100 damage, isn't game shattering at 17th level, but it's never something to just ignore, and it doesn't even HAVE pre-reqs. (Also, if the BBEG is a normal human, maybe some kind of evil wizard, it could be incapacitating.) Feral Death Blow is an interesting maneuver. Make a jump check with DC =to AC. Then, make an attack on flat-footed armour. If it succeeds, the opponent makes a fortitude save (DC19+Str) or DIES. If they pass, or if they're immune to critical hits, the strike only deals an additional 20d6 damage. Only. Fort is the highest save for monsters at high levels, unfortunately, so depending on the campaign, instant kills could be rare. War Master's Charge, like usual for WR, is great with multiple melee characters. You initiate the maneuver and anyone within 30' of you can charge a target. You get piles of bonus damage and a couple bonuses to hit also. An opponent who gets hit more than once is stunned for a round. Oh, and no AoO for charging. Basically, a pile of bonuses stacked onto a team charge, all in your turn.

Summing up 9th level: These are all awesome, but they all (Accepting SD) have hefty pre-reqs. You've only got a certain number of maneuvers. Choose wisely. Plan for the maneuvers you want at level 17, so you don't find yourself with only 3 DM maneuvers at 16, hoping you can get Time Stands Still next level. If you have a large party, get WMC for certain.
[/spoiler]

As a running count, I have to do 4, 5, 6 and 8.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 04:05:32 PM by Generic_PC »

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: The Warblade Handbook
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 02:16:42 AM »
Lets get Section 5 started, shall we? I'll be looking at good feats from Core and any ToB that a Warblade can qualify for without multiclassing or martial style/stance. (Not Shadow Blade, for instance). Any advice on anything else would be wonderful.

ToB Feats:

Adaptive Style:
Awesome. Not quite as good for a Warblade as for a Swordsage, because you get all your expended maneuvers back anyway, but all those maneuvers you didn't prepare? Thats what this is for. Using Moment of Alacrity (DM6) to move your initiative up to the front of the queue (USUALLY) and then using adaptive style to change all your maneuvers essentially means you have all your maneuvers prepared, all the time.

Avenging Strike: Technically, you can qualify for this. However, if you'll scroll back up to the stats section, you'll notice that you should have dumped Cha. So, skip the pseudo-smite.

Blade Meditation: A weird feat. It's like Weapon Focus, Skill Focus and Spell Focus all mashed together. I'd skip it, if only because you have better feats to get and only a limited number of slots. Few maneuvers actually offer saves, and the other two feats that build this feat aren't exactly what one could call stellar.

Evasive Reflexes: If you're focusing on AoOs and ToB is allowed, you should have Thicket of Blades as a stance and you won't want to be taking 5' steps. Lockdown is the best way to use AoOs. However, this isn't necessarily a bad feat.

Instant Clarity: I don't really know enough about Psionics to rate this feat, but if you have a build that revolves around using Psionic Focus to 'take 15' on Concentration checks, and you're also a martial adept, I see no reason why it wouldn't be good.

Ironheart Aura: +2 to saving throws isn't bad, but it hinges on being adjacent to you. In my games, with a 5 person party, you rarely give this bonus to more than 1 person, but YMMV. Also note that there is really only 2 stances from IH I'd be willing to sit in for an entire combat. (Punishing Stance at low levels, Dancing Blade Form for +5 reach.)

Martial Study/Stance: Useful. If you've got room, there are better options. Special mention is using these to get Thicket of Blades, which is the key to any crackdown Warblade build.

Psychic Renewal:
Again, I don't know enough about Psionics to rate this.

Rapid Assault:
How many attacks do you normally get in the first round of combat? For me, its usually 1 or 0, barring pouncers. This isn't worth a feat.

Snap Kick:
Extra attacks are never bad. Especially if you have some combo of Monk or Unarmed Swordsage with your Warblade, this is a great feat. If you didn't get IUS from a class though, it isn't worth two feats.

Stone Power:
Though not actually bad, for you, Power Attack is better. I'd skip it.

Sudden Recovery: No. You already recover your maneuvers with a swift action. Why would you only get 1 back instead?

Superior Unarmed Strike:
As with Snap Kick, if you got IUS as a bonus feat, this is nice. If not, its not worth two feats.

Tiger Blooded:
I don't really like to rely on being in rage/shifting, as i'm a paranoid conservationist, but YMMV. Note that as you are usually medium (at most, large) the effect here is also pretty lame in that it is usually useless if you aren't fighting mostly humanoids.

Unnerving Calm: Duel of wills is a pretty underused skill use, and for good reason. Its just complex and basically serves to complicate the game. Skip it.

Vital Recovery:
At low levels, this isn't bad, as 4 HP at level 1 is likely more than a quarter of your HP, but at say, level 12, 15HP is almost nothing, especially 1/encounter. It scales horribly. If retraining is allowed (rarely, in games I play) it might be worth an early feat slot.

White Raven Defense:
+1 unnamed bonus to AC isn't bad. However, extremely limited, especially in my tables DND. I'd skip it, but like all of WR, this is very dependent on your party make-up.

Tactical Feats:
(no colours, as these are very versatile.)

Clarion Commander:
Not bad at all. Pile On is nice if you're not the damage dealer of the group, and if you can make the skill checks, Perpetual Flank and Following Up are both useful for larger, single targets. (The feat kind of loses something when fighting smaller mooks that don't take many hits to kill.)

Perfect Clarity of Body and Mind:
Less nice. Press the Advantage is a little lame, being a -2 for a single round (in which they'll be retrieving their weapons or getting up if you did anything but damage.) Coiled Spring has its uses, but I rarely use the total defense action. Expert Mind isn't bad, but again, I rarely use Duel of Wills.

Reaping Talons: Meh. Nice against lots of enemies, but Focused Assault is horrid if you get attacked by fewer people than your BAB would hit anyway, assuming you still threaten them... Cornered Predator isn't bad against a foe you can't hit, along with loads of smaller enemies that you can basically ignore, but if that is the case, you have bigger problems. Talon Shield isn't bad, but I prefer attacking to defending.

Shards of Granite: A little weird. Unstoppable Onslaught and Battering Smash are both very encounter-dependent (being useless against creatures without DR or Hardness), but when you need them they could be lifesavers. (Why not just use the +d6 maneuvers that do the same though?) Eviscerating Strike though, is pretty much useless. I mean, not a bad idea, but you've literally got a 2/20 chance at best of it working for you. (4/20 with Keen, I guess...)

Stormguard Warrior:
Stormguard Warrior is also a little wierd. Combat Rhythm is nice. Say you have 11 BAB. Skip 3 attacks, you have +45 damage (15 to each attack) next round. Do some math to see if it pays off for you. (In general, if a normal attack would do less on average than +5*# of Iterative attacks, its worth saving till the next round.) Channel the Storm is nice for Crackdown builds that basically thrive off of AoOs, if you can spare them. Fight the Horde has applications, but doesn't stand out as much.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 10:15:39 PM by Generic_PC »

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 02:16:57 AM »
Reserved 6

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 02:17:18 AM »
Reserved 7. You can go now.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 12:33:15 AM by Generic_PC »

Optimator

• Bi-Curious George
  • Made Man
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 03:03:51 AM »
Fun.  Best of luck with the guide. 

Schocher

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 05:59:26 PM »
this is never going to get finished is it?

Aliment

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Illithid Zombies
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 09:28:38 PM »
On the race section, I think the elf varients should be put in since some of them really shine on Warblade.  I also think some notables for non-PHB races are Orcs, Goliaths, and Thri-Kreen for just being awesome at melee.
True Sign of Player Paranoia:
Player:"I look out of the keep"
DM:"There are no visible armies"
Player:"Aw crap theres an Invisible army!"

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 11:13:04 PM »
On the race section, I think the elf varients should be put in since some of them really shine on Warblade.  I also think some notables for non-PHB races are Orcs, Goliaths, and Thri-Kreen for just being awesome at melee.
Thri-kreen especially.  They get absolutely sick when focused on Tiger Claw.

Think Blood in the Water builds were nasty before?  Why not multiply it by 2?

All those manuvers that have a Jump check?  What do you know, Thri-kreen have a +30 racial bonus and a high land speed for another +4!  Yes, a thri-kreen can, with no ranks in jump and a Strength of 10, auto-activate all those jump manuvers on any foe with an Armor Class of 35 or lower.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 12:49:44 PM »
Every time I look at Goliaths I also look at Half-Giants. They get 1 less strength but open up the world of psionics, and since if you're looking at these races for their powerful build ability then opening up the psionic power "Expansion" is especially nice. Also "Warmind" sounds great with "Warblade" (I like both names)

I also like looking as human as possible most of the time, but that's a style thing.

Sadly the guide probably won't get finished.
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 04:28:48 PM »
why not?  ;)
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 10:17:01 PM »
why not?  ;)

Last update was in May. It's November
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

Aliment

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Illithid Zombies
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2009, 05:18:00 PM »
Well Generic PC is an active member (according to his profile) so he might come back.  It's like many of the handbooks really get updated enough around here.

As for Half-Giants I can see what you mean, it all depends on your flavor choices, and whether you want Psionics in your game.  Also Warforged would be cool since they take a penalty to the dump stats.  Not to mention all those lovely construct immunities and the aptness of "Iron Heart".

But yeah Thri-Kreen+Tiger Claw is just amazing. Girrilon Flesh Whip anyone?  Although I tend to feel like a thri-kreen is better served by Swordsage for some reason.
True Sign of Player Paranoia:
Player:"I look out of the keep"
DM:"There are no visible armies"
Player:"Aw crap theres an Invisible army!"

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2009, 07:57:08 PM »
But yeah Thri-Kreen+Tiger Claw is just amazing. Girrilon Flesh Whip anyone?  Although I tend to feel like a thri-kreen is better served by Swordsage for some reason.

Because of Shadow Blade and +4 racial Dex?

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2009, 09:08:21 PM »
As for Half-Giants I can see what you mean, it all depends on your flavor choices, and whether you want Psionics in your game.  Also Warforged would be cool since they take a penalty to the dump stats.  Not to mention all those lovely construct immunities and the aptness of "Iron Heart".

Damn shame Warforged don't get powerful build. I feel like their should be a feat or class ability that lets you pick it up. Perhaps one of the many homebrew warforged paragon classes should include Powerful Build as the 3rd level ability in place of a stat bonus. I love warforged, and I like enhancing a character's base power (Ability bonuses and such in place of conditional abilities and things you have to prepare)

A Man In Black

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Portrait of a Man in Black holding a Glove
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2009, 06:49:06 AM »
Damn shame Warforged don't get powerful build. I feel like their should be a feat or class ability that lets you pick it up. Perhaps one of the many homebrew warforged paragon classes should include Powerful Build as the 3rd level ability in place of a stat bonus. I love warforged, and I like enhancing a character's base power (Ability bonuses and such in place of conditional abilities and things you have to prepare)

What does this have to do with warblades? And pretty much every race would be a better warblade with Powerful Build. :rollseyes

Akkristor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 05:16:19 PM »
Well, powerful build can be obtained through a 6,000 GP item in the MIC, the Strongarm Bracers (MIC 139)

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 05:44:21 PM »
Well, powerful build can be obtained through a 6,000 GP item in the MIC, the Strongarm Bracers (MIC 139)
No.  Those only allow you to wield a weapon 1 size category larger than normal.  Powerful Build does much, much more than that.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.