Author Topic: Always the same..meh.  (Read 15095 times)

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
Re: Always the same..meh.
« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2009, 09:32:04 PM »
in my game our 1/2 giant psi war got molested by BHU's habanero dryad  :twitch
:lol

OMG that had to be one confused and demoralized player...

It was priceless. He later killed her violently during a battle taking place there, i had to let him get revenge some how.

Aww...poor lil pepper girl...

dither

• Hong Kong
  • Breaking the ninth wall
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2009, 03:02:02 AM »
Although I'm posting on-topic here, it kind of feels like I'm going OT, based on the rampant paladin discussion. :lol

Sometimes it's not about coming up with different archetypes so much as coming up with a culture that justifies what they are.

[snip]

I forget what I did with goblins and kobolds, because I can't find my notes.  :mad

This sounds very similar to a "real-world re-flavoring" of D&D races that I did for my Greek setting. I wound up making the kobolds the "Pelasgians" (the people indigenous to Greece before humans moved in) who worshiped big, baby-eating dragons. They most often serve as slaves to the bigger races, except where they've managed to establish a home in a place where the humans won't settle.

The goblins and bugbears I made into the "sea-people" who raided the coasts and harassed nations like Egypt.
"Stuck between a rogue and a bard place."

vanity
Read my webcomic!
Dither's Amazing Changing Avatars

[spoiler]
Quote from: Shadowhunter
Quote from: Flay Crimsonwind
"Vegeta! What does the scouter say about Dither's power level?"
It's over nine thousand!

Quote from: Bauglir
Quote from: Anklebite
Quote from: dither
Well blow me down! :P
A SECTION OF THE CAVERN HAS COLLAPSED!
dither, Miner, has died after colliding with an obstacle!
[/spoiler]

Kerrick

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Project Phoenix wiki
« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2009, 12:49:48 PM »
The goblins and bugbears I made into the "sea-people" who raided the coasts and harassed nations like Egypt.
Now I remember - I made the goblins into the Mongol hordes of my world - they just ride worgs instead of horses. :)
Project Phoenix. 4E the way it should have been done.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: July 03, 2009, 12:19:46 PM »
I think elves usually come off as aloof, 'cause they may or may not be based on Shakespeare's portrayal of Oberon and Titania in Midsummer Night's Dream. I could easily be wrong, but that's how I've always envisioned them.

Aloof makes sense, at least towards humans and similarly short-lived races.  You simply don't want to get too attached to someone who, in your eyes, is going to drop dead in the flicker of an eyelash.  I would see a certain amount of emotional distance as a natural and necessary defense mechanism.

Much like how a pet dog or cat tends to live 1/10th to 1/5th our average expected lifespan? I've always found that excuse for elven behavior to make little sense outside of "Yeah, we also happen to be elitest pricks" rationalization.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #84 on: July 03, 2009, 12:52:07 PM »
I think elves usually come off as aloof, 'cause they may or may not be based on Shakespeare's portrayal of Oberon and Titania in Midsummer Night's Dream. I could easily be wrong, but that's how I've always envisioned them.

Aloof makes sense, at least towards humans and similarly short-lived races.  You simply don't want to get too attached to someone who, in your eyes, is going to drop dead in the flicker of an eyelash.  I would see a certain amount of emotional distance as a natural and necessary defense mechanism.

Much like how a pet dog or cat tends to live 1/10th to 1/5th our average expected lifespan? I've always found that excuse for elven behavior to make little sense outside of "Yeah, we also happen to be elitest pricks" rationalization.
Yeah, I mean, there isn't much difference between how you treat a pet parrot and other kinds (other than the talking thing)
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: July 03, 2009, 01:04:11 PM »

Yeah, I mean, there isn't much difference between how you treat a pet parrot and other kinds (other than the talking thing)
Not true, my elven pirate/wizard treated his parrot much better than he treated any human...
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: July 03, 2009, 03:07:01 PM »

Not true, my elven pirate/wizard treated his parrot much better than he treated any human...

*points to elitest prick line above*
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]