Author Topic: The Utility Belt; or what you should be wearing around your waist  (Read 169944 times)

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
Re: The Utility Belt; or what you should be wearing around your waist
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2009, 02:38:12 PM »
40' diameter 60' tall oak tree... I have know idea... what I was thinking is this in combanation with the a wand of shape wood... you should be able to get 1382400/(X squared) 10 foot poles out of it, where X is the diameter of a ten foot pole in inches...
Assuming the pole is 1 inch in diameter, you get 691200 gp.
so a eternal wand of shape wood... is actually a gold mine....
Nah. Gold mines typically run out eventually.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2009, 02:51:54 PM »
Don't bring your logic into my DnD.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2009, 04:13:13 PM »
40' diameter 60' tall oak tree... I have know idea... what I was thinking is this in combanation with the a wand of shape wood... you should be able to get 1382400/(X squared) 10 foot poles out of it, where X is the diameter of a ten foot pole in inches...
Assuming the pole is 1 inch in diameter, you get 691200 gp.
so a eternal wand of shape wood... is actually a gold mine....
Nah. Gold mines typically run out eventually.
The is why an Any Mug is a great item, you can use it to make glass, obsidian, heavy water, lamp oil, lube :smirk
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2009, 10:12:42 AM »
The is why an Any Mug is a great item, you can use it to make glass, obsidian, heavy water, lamp oil, lube :smirk

:bigeye because no D&D is complete without thermonuclear weapons.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2009, 12:10:33 PM »

:bigeye because no D&D is complete without thermonuclear weapons.
I was going to go with a heavy water, potasium nitrate combo and just vapourize the area...
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2009, 02:46:36 PM »
Liquid Sunlight (Complete Scoundrel 110) is a potentially hands-free small ball of goo that sheds light like a torch- forever- for 20G.  The only downer is that it's breakable, but it serves as a sling bullet in a pinch.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2009, 03:23:14 PM »
Liquid Sunlight (Complete Scoundrel 110) is a potentially hands-free small ball of goo that sheds light like a torch- forever- for 20G.  The only downer is that it's breakable, but it serves as a sling bullet in a pinch.
Liquid Sunlight is awesome. So awesome, in fact, that I already mentioned it roughly a page ago. ;)
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2009, 04:49:46 AM »
Where exactly are any mugs from?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

bayar

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2009, 09:11:57 AM »

Or help Frodo when he faces the spider with big booty.

Optimator

• Bi-Curious George
  • Made Man
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2010, 06:32:16 PM »
This thread has helped out my Factotum so much.  Thanks a ton.

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2010, 06:55:35 PM »
You're welcome very much!

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2010, 09:09:22 PM »
Torchbug Paste (CSco) Think Farie Fire spell as a no-save mundane splash weapon with a 1 hour duration.  There are other uses as well, but this is my favorite.  For 25gp (and negligible weight), this should be in everyone's toolbelt.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

ProfessorCirno

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Eye'm the strongest!
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2010, 06:54:07 AM »
I haven't seen my favorite item of all time here.  I notice lots of bits about rope, about grappling hooks, and about other similr items, but you've forgotten the single magic item tht does anything you could ever need from ropes OR grappling hooks.

Complete Scoundrel gave us: The Rod of Ropes.

You want to fire the grappling hook, but don't have the Use Rope or Climb to scale it?  It does that.  It pulls you up by itself, and it does it at 60 feet per round.  You need a whole lot of rope, and fast?  It does that.  Need to slide from one place to another?  It has you covered.  Badguy perched precariously next to a fall and you aren't standing next to him, or lack the manly fortitude needed to heroically punch him?  Yeah, this puppy can bullrush, too.  Or heck, stand in the middle of a building and knock two people off!  If a chicken lays an egg on the middle of a roof, which way does it roll?  Whichever way you want it to.  Did I mention the grappling hooks have a 300 foot range - on both ends?  You might as well attach one end to the moon after it's thrown by a hulking hurler, the other to the earth, and just slide all the way down through space with that range!  And it throws all 300 feet in a single round!  While the wizard is futzing around with his spells or the fighter is taking off his boots to put on his dainty little slippers, you've already scaled the cliff and are hocking loogies at them!

Rod of Ropes is more or less half of Batman's gadgets - you know, the ones that used rope - and the hookshot from all the Zelda games combined into one.  One might claim the cost of 4,000 gold is too much...but I've used it in just about every session of every game that I've been in.
"Can I make it absolutely clear, here, now, that I'm only here because the producers said I had to be. I don't like snow, I hate being cold, I hate outdoor pursuits, I hate the idea that I've got to "push my body to find the limit," I can't stand this stupid clothing that makes this rustling noise when you move all the time, and I hate the zips, and the toggles, and all the pockets, and that and I hate your stupid truck."

"Listen. If we make it, look at it this way: you will be the first person ever to go to the North Pole who didn't want to be there."

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2010, 06:26:26 PM »
How...how have I never noticed that wonderful item?
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2010, 07:34:24 PM »
I misread that as the rod of rapes. It sure made reading that next paragraph interesting, let me tell ya.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2010, 07:39:16 PM »
All we need now are the Fire Rod, the Cane of Byrina, and the Staff of Somaria. Oh, and the Switch Hook. Possibly the Magnetic Gloves too.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2010, 08:17:04 PM »
All we need now are the Fire Rod, the Cane of Byrina, and the Staff of Somaria. Oh, and the Switch Hook. Possibly the Magnetic Gloves too.
Wand of Scorching ray, an Item with a modified resilient sphere effect, wand of major creation, a use activated item of baleful transportation, and a use activated item of telekinesis.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2010, 08:26:00 PM »
Wand of Scorching ray, an Item with a modified resilient sphere effect, wand of major creation, a use activated item of baleful transportation, and a use activated item of telekinesis.

I was thinking an at will item of Extended Blockade for the Staff of Somaria. Possibly Shadow Conjuration to make it weigh less than a ton.

The Cane of Byrina just flipped things over. It didn't seal things outright. Possibly Reverse Gravity...

[spoiler][/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2010, 08:44:45 PM »
Of course, the last completely negates the usefulness of the rod of ropes.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2010, 08:46:24 PM »
Of course, the last completely negates the usefulness of the rod of ropes.

Well, it did have a limited height and could only be used on a hole in the ground. Or on another creature, in which case it would deal some damage.

[spoiler][/spoiler]