Author Topic: Air Born combat  (Read 5969 times)

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
Air Born combat
« on: May 09, 2009, 03:14:38 PM »
I'm considering making a winged character, and I'm debating between the "ranged well above melee range" or the "swoop and pwn melee combat" styles, can anyone offer some experiance in the matter?
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Re: Air Born combat
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 03:28:28 PM »
I'm considering making a winged character, and I'm debating between the "ranged well above melee range" or the "swoop and pwn melee combat" styles, can anyone offer some experiance in the matter?

Totemist 20, Manticore Belt bound to Totem and Waist chakras. Rain down spiky down in the form of 8-16 ranged attacks that deal 1d6+1/2 Str+Skirmish damage (if you have it). All in one Standard action.

I'd say Ranged is the better option, chief.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 03:29:35 PM »
Battle Jump would work for a melee type that charges upon its enemies from above IIRC.
Also, a Dragonborn with the Wings aspect works nicely for diving charge attacks due to the damage multiplier.

This ofcourse would mean a charger of sorts, so Lion Totem Barbarian 1 for Pounce is a must.
Add on some charging feats (Power Attack, Improved Bull Rushed and Shock Trooper, maybe Deep Impact if you dip Psychic Warrior) and you've got yourself a melee dive-bomber.

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 03:34:37 PM »
I'm thinking Dragonborn Raptoran, breathe and wings.
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 03:52:36 PM »
Do Raptorans get the Charge damage multiplier Dragonborn get as well? I don't have RotW handy at the moment. If not, I'd go with a Dragonborn Water Orc with the Wing aspect if you go the dive-attack route.
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 03:53:54 PM »
They get the double damage on dives with piersing, if thats what you mean.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 04:03:36 PM »
That's what I was talking about :)

In that case, see if you can squeeze in Entangling Exhalation (Races of the Dragon) for some limited battlefield control with your Dragonborn Breath Weapon :)

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 04:05:56 PM »
In that case, see if you can squeeze in Entangling Exhalation (Races of the Dragon) for some limited battlefield control with your Dragonborn Breath Weapon :)

The problem with that is that when I'm in the air, my straight line breathe weapon can hit 1 maybe 2 targets, and it would be more effective just to drop a spiked net on them.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 04:08:04 PM »

The problem with that is that when I'm in the air, my straight line breathe weapon can hit 1 maybe 2 targets, and it would be more effective just to drop a spiked net on them.

There's a feat that lets you shift between a Line and a Cone.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 04:09:18 PM »
Yeah, if you expect to face multiple opponents frequently you'd need Flyby Attack, Flyby Breath and Strafing Breath (the latter two are in one of the DragonLance books, not exactly sure which one, don't have them at hand at the moment) if you want to tie up a group of opponents with Entangling Exhalation in one breath.

EDIT: Got a name and/or location for that feat, Sinfire Titan?

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 04:10:01 PM »
Then the DM would be forced to calculate the spread of the cone over the ground, which would be a headache for him, and delay combat for minutes if I'm not using my breathe weapon straight down.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 04:10:54 PM »
Yeah, I see your point. Strafing Breath is pretty clear about it's area of effect though, so if you've got the feats to spare you might want to look into that.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 04:19:18 PM »
Thing is, this is going to be a primary Martial Cleric, maybe dipping fighter or ranger

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2009, 04:20:43 PM »
Yeah, if you expect to face multiple opponents frequently you'd need Flyby Attack, Flyby Breath and Strafing Breath (the latter two are in one of the DragonLance books, not exactly sure which one, don't have them at hand at the moment) if you want to tie up a group of opponents with Entangling Exhalation in one breath.

Draconomicon, in the Monstrous feats section (around page 70).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2009, 04:31:46 PM »

Draconomicon, in the Monstrous feats section (around page 70).

Too bad it's a Metabreath.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2009, 04:33:04 PM »
Thing is, this is going to be a primary Martial Cleric, maybe dipping fighter or ranger

Then I'd just stick to Entangling Exhalation for tying up big threats and pick up some charging feats for your other feat slots.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2009, 04:45:55 PM »
Actual, my first two/three feats are going in to flying ehancement, so I can fly with good manuverability in heavy armor with a heavy load.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2009, 04:47:48 PM »
Actual, my first two/three feats are going in to flying ehancement, so I can fly with good manuverability in heavy armor with a heavy load.

Don't do that. Mithral Breastplate is actually better than Full Plate, and is light armor. You can afford not having a high AC by using the right spells/abilities. Or by just never getting attacked.

Seriously, those feats are a major trap.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2009, 05:04:52 PM »
Agreed with Sinfire. Mithral Chain Shirt with Dastana and Chahar-Aina (both from OA) is even better for armor :)
As far as maneuverability goes, Pectoral of (Greater) Maneuverability (Draconomicon) is your friend :).

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2009, 05:12:33 PM »
Agreed with Sinfire. Mithral Chain Shirt with Dastana and Chahar-Aina (both from OA) is even better for armor :)
As far as maneuverability goes, Pectoral of (Greater) Maneuverability (Draconomicon) is your friend :).
I must admit, those are great items, but this is a character to be played from 4th lvl, not tossed into an arena at 20th lvl.