Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 8512 times)

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2009, 02:39:58 PM »
I was impressed when they asked Uhura if she could speak Romulan, and she said "All three dialects".

They must have an impressively homogenous culture if that's the case, considering the 40+ dialects of English spoken just in America, and the dozens spoken overseas.  (Hell, between everyone I know, there's about 5 or 6 dialects od English just in my peer group.)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 02:42:21 PM by CountArioch »
She hasn't come to crush your bones, nor tear your flesh
She has come to steal your sanity with just one glance

Sacrapos - At First Glance, Eluveitie

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2009, 02:57:23 PM »
languages and dielects die off every other day.. its not surprising that they would have only three russian dialects left in a couple hundred years..
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2009, 03:41:34 PM »
i may have a compaint. not sure havent researched it enough to be sure..

but i think the enterprise may be bigger on the inside...

Anim-manga sux.

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2009, 06:24:32 PM »
i may have a compaint. not sure havent researched it enough to be sure..

but i think the enterprise may be bigger on the inside...

LE GASP. THIS IS SHOCKING NEWS.
Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

Tick, tock, Tick, tock...

FYI: I lose a couple years off my life anytime I see I have a PM.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2009, 06:40:51 PM »
for TOS, it dosnt bother me... they seem to have fixt it in NG and the rest... for them to go back is bothersome..

Anim-manga sux.

tarbrush

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2009, 02:54:57 PM »
I hate time travel so much.  I mean, it's very clever, wiping out the entirety of the trek canon at one fell swoop so they can make more movies, but really, I hate time travel.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2009, 03:27:37 PM »
after another viewing, im pretty sure the water tubes scene dosnt fit inside the ship.

Anim-manga sux.

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2009, 05:01:26 PM »
I assumed it was some sort of weird alien future-liquid.
She hasn't come to crush your bones, nor tear your flesh
She has come to steal your sanity with just one glance

Sacrapos - At First Glance, Eluveitie

Kari

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2009, 02:37:44 AM »
after another viewing, im pretty sure the water tubes scene dosnt fit inside the ship.
We talking size wise, or do you just not believe there's giant water tubes?

tarbrush

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2009, 10:08:33 AM »
I initially thought it was full of industrial coolant like in Sunshine and Scotty was going to die a horrible gruesome death. 

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2009, 10:24:32 AM »
We talking size wise, or do you just not believe there's giant water tubes?

*Gets mental image of the kids from Galaxy Quest going over ship schematics and discussing details of function*
Placeholder - T'tosc

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2009, 11:24:44 AM »
i think the size of the room they are in dosnt fit inside the ship.

Anim-manga sux.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2009, 11:44:46 AM »
i think the size of the room they are in dosnt fit inside the ship.
Yeah, all the ships looked tiny with the shuttles that seem to take up more than 30% of the space onboard. :p
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2009, 12:26:48 PM »
the original enterprise was built off spec from the carrier enterprise (where i lived for 4 years)..

the new, original enterprise is marginally different.

we had rooms like that, lots of them. but we didnt have a saucer section, a think 'neck' area, warp engines, and a pencil thin main body..

Anim-manga sux.

Kari

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2009, 02:12:38 PM »
The CG people needed to work on their proportions. The shuttles were too large in relation to the rest of the ship in the scene they showed one docking. But in general, proportions and scale were the biggest problem of the movie. (Seriously, less than 5 minutes from Earth to Vulcan? Or the fact that everything in the Enterprise seemed to be only a couple of hallways away from each other? Or seeing Vulcan from Delta Vega?)

If you look at it, the saucer section is at least five levels thick, and each of those has to be at least 20' or so (for all the ventilation, plumbing, wiring, etc etc etc...). That means the saucer's at least 100' thick, and the main body was at least that thick, as well. That room would have no problem fitting.

Actually, in my opinion, they made the Enterprise a bit on the small side - or I'm misguessing the number of levels in the saucer section.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2009, 03:12:53 PM »
the saucer section is probably 100 feet thick... but i dont think that that the water works is in the saucer.

Anim-manga sux.

Kari

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2009, 03:22:44 PM »
As I said, the 'main body' section is at least as thick as the saucer section itself, and while not as 'wide', it's still a round structure - and you have to see it as that engineering section being the only thing in the main body. Well, that, and the shuttlecraft bay at the tail. It's probably a good deal longer than it is wide, as well.

But, as I also said, I could be guessing very low. There could be twice as many decks in the saucer than my estimate, making the whole thing that much bigger. (And, in my opinion, I believe it should be bigger.)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2009, 03:48:13 PM »
The CG people needed to work on their proportions. The shuttles were too large in relation to the rest of the ship in the scene they showed one docking. But in general, proportions and scale were the biggest problem of the movie. (Seriously, less than 5 minutes from Earth to Vulcan? Or the fact that everything in the Enterprise seemed to be only a couple of hallways away from each other? Or seeing Vulcan from Delta Vega?)

If you look at it, the saucer section is at least five levels thick, and each of those has to be at least 20' or so (for all the ventilation, plumbing, wiring, etc etc etc...). That means the saucer's at least 100' thick, and the main body was at least that thick, as well. That room would have no problem fitting.

Actually, in my opinion, they made the Enterprise a bit on the small side - or I'm misguessing the number of levels in the saucer section.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ScifiWritersHaveNoSenseOfScale
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Kari

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2009, 04:30:19 AM »
Seen that already. Believe me, if it hadn't already been on the Star Trek entry, I would have added it myself.

Michael

• Monkey bussiness
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2009, 06:51:56 PM »
I watched it at IMAX when it came out. I thought it was pretty good, and was glad to see people who would otherwise never watch a scifi go to see the film. The complaints I hear about this movie are the same problems the multiple television series have, so I don't understand all the hoopla.