Author Topic: Dwarf Warblade?  (Read 11613 times)

Nodaisho

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
Re: Dwarf Warblade?
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2009, 11:38:14 PM »
Might be from Sword and Fist, but it is also from Complete Divine, it is in the SRD. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown

I'm pretty sure that they provoke AoOs any time they leave a threatened square, I could be wrong though.
The more I see of people, the more I love my dog.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2009, 09:23:54 AM »
Might be from Sword and Fist, but it is also from Complete Divine, it is in the SRD. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown
Good find.  Thanks.  Is that in Complete Divine or Dieties & Demigods (or whatever the 3.0 diety book is called)?  I don't remember seeing it in Complete Divine (which I own), and that section of the SRD suggests that it's in Dieties & Demigods.  Even still, my DM owns that book, so I'll take a look at it.

I'm pretty sure that they provoke AoOs any time they leave a threatened square, I could be wrong though.
From the SRD (emphasis mine):
Combat Reflexes and Additional Attacks of Opportunity

If you have the Combat Reflexes feat you can add your Dexterity modifier to the number of attacks of opportunity you can make in a round. This feat does not let you make more than one attack for a given opportunity, but if the same opponent provokes two attacks of opportunity from you, you could make two separate attacks of opportunity (since each one represents a different opportunity). All these attacks are at your full normal attack bonus.
I remembered reading that somewhere.  So, if I'm reading that right, while you can make more than one AoO on the same opponent in a round, you only get one based on movement, regardless of how many threatened squares they move through.

Now, I think I could pull off two AoOs on the same guy if I had previously tripped him; one for him standing and one for him moving.  I'd have to be ten feet away so he couldn't reach me with a five-foot step.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 09:25:49 AM by RobbyPants »
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2009, 09:29:01 AM »
If I go the tripping route, it seems like Thicket of Blades could be pretty cool.

Now, if I read the prereqs correctly on Martial Stance, I don't need to know a Devoted Spirit maneuver to take a Devoted Spirit stance with that feat, correct?  Of course, Thicket of Blades might have other prereqs I'd need to meet; I'm AFB right now.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

Nodaisho

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2009, 09:35:49 AM »
Right, you need to know A martial maneuver, from any school. Then you have to meet the prereqs for the stance you take. Not sure what those are for Thicket of Blades, but I know there is at least a prerequisite of one.
The more I see of people, the more I love my dog.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2009, 10:09:09 AM »
So I'd also need to blow Martial Study to pick up a Devoted Spirit maneuver as well...

Is it worth it?  Being able to prevent any movement in threatened squares is pretty nice.  I guess if I pick up a really solid DS maneuver, then it could work out.  Are there any 1st - 3rd level goodies I should consider?  I've never rolled up a crusader, so I've yet to study that discipline in any real depth.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2009, 10:23:06 AM »
So I'd also need to blow Martial Study to pick up a Devoted Spirit maneuver as well...

Is it worth it?  Being able to prevent any movement in threatened squares is pretty nice.  I guess if I pick up a really solid DS maneuver, then it could work out.  Are there any 1st - 3rd level goodies I should consider?  I've never rolled up a crusader, so I've yet to study that discipline in any real depth.

From memory, Defensive Rebuke is nice (3rd level Boost -the opponent you strike in your turn provokes an AoO unless he attacks you), Revitalizing Strike (3rd level Strike 3d6+1/IL hit point heal).

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2009, 11:10:13 AM »
Actually, thinking about it, if I wanted to pick up Thicket of Blades as early as possible, I'd already need the maneuver, so I should probably limit it to 1st or 2nd level.  I'll have to look over those later when I get a chance...
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2009, 11:29:28 PM »
Are any of the shield feats ever worth taking?  Shield Slam looks kind of nice, but I might be better off using maneuvers...
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2009, 01:38:20 AM »
Just for information, the Martial Stance feat requires that you know one martial maneuver from the school you want to take the stance from. If i recall correctly, Thicket requires 1 DS stance (also AFB.) Foehammer is nice, and bypasses DR.
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2009, 09:24:02 PM »
Just for information, the Martial Stance feat requires that you know one martial maneuver from the school you want to take the stance from. If i recall correctly, Thicket requires 1 DS stance (also AFB.) Foehammer is nice, and bypasses DR.
I was toying with either Foe Hammer or Vanguard Strike.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2009, 10:31:43 PM »
Well, I wasn't planning on this being a diary thread, but the game started today.  I opted to take two flaws and go with Combat Reflexes, Combat Expertise, and Improved Trip.

Luckily for me, the first fight was a bunch of orcs (great for tripping).  It sucked losing initiative because that allowed the three orcs to close in on me.  I ended up just withdrawing (to keep from getting AoOed) and let them approach again; they stupidly did.  On their turn, I managed to trip and kill two of them.  I killed the third on my round.

We only had time for one fight (the other guy still had a lot of work to do on his druid), but I'm really looking forward to running this guy.

____

Now, I'm still debating on if I want to blow two feats to get Thicket of Blades.  It looks awesome, and if I hold that off until 6th level, I can use my 5th level warblade feat to take the Devoted Spirit maneuver that lets me attack a guy and force him to attack me or generate an AoO per attack (Retributive Strike, or something like that?).  If I don't go this route, I'll likely take the Diamond Mind tactical feat as it has two boosts to trips.  The only thing I don't like is having to take Unnerving Calm.

Thanks for all the advice in this thread, guys! :D
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2009, 04:46:54 PM »
Thread necromancy!!!

I'm looking for some low to mid level feat suggestions.  I just hit level 3 and I have some decisions to make.

I already have Combat Reflexes, Combat Expertise, and Improved Trip, which I've been using to trip with a guisarme.  Now, I was thinking about taking Power Attack relatively soon, but I'd really like to get ahold of Thicket of Blades.  The problem with Thicket of Blades is that I need to take Martial Study at 3rd level to get a Devoted Spirit maneuver so I can take Martial Stance at 6th level.  Sadly, Power Attack isn't on the Warblade's crappy list of bonus feats that I can take at 5th level.  So, it looks like I'm waiting until at least 9th level to get ahold of Power Attack.

So which route do you think is better?  Personally, it looks like Thicket of Blades + reach = awesome.  I feel this trumps Power Attack.  Do you agree?

Also, if I don't get ahold of Power Attack until 9th level (if at all), is it even worth taking Emerald Razor?  I originally planned on taking Emerald Razor at 3rd level, but without Power Attack, it doesn't seem that useful.  I'll have to look at my list of planned maneuvers and see if I can give up a Diamond Mind maneuver without messing up what I want to take later.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2009, 05:28:40 PM »
Is retraining allowed?

If so, once you hit level 5 to retrain Combat Reflexes to Power Attack and regain Combat Reflexes using your level 5 Warblade bonus feat.
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2009, 06:57:41 PM »
Since the DM doesn'tm own the PHB2, I'm 90% sure it's not allowed, but I can check.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2009, 07:00:08 PM »
If it isn't allowed, would dipping Crusader for 2 levels (at levels 7 and 8 to get the required IL for Thicket of Blades) instead of losing 2 feats be an option?

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2009, 07:02:11 PM »
Alternately, just ask the DM if he could expand the Warblade bonus feat list. I've done it in the past, adding a couple things like PA, Cleave, Great Cleave, and a couple other fighter feats (but not things like improved unarmed strike or deflect arrows.)
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2009, 08:22:52 PM »
If it isn't allowed, would dipping Crusader for 2 levels (at levels 7 and 8 to get the required IL for Thicket of Blades) instead of losing 2 feats be an option?
Possibly.  It would give me a crap-ton of maneuvers, although I'd be a level behind in my warblade maneuvers.

Alternately, just ask the DM if he could expand the Warblade bonus feat list. I've done it in the past, adding a couple things like PA, Cleave, Great Cleave, and a couple other fighter feats (but not things like improved unarmed strike or deflect arrows.)
This might be the easiest option, really.  Worse comes to worst, I'll just take Improved Initiative at level 5 (never a bad idea) and take something else in place of Emerald Razor.  I mean, Power Attack is nice, but if I'm not backing it up with some of the other standard feats, then it's really not that great anyway.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]