Author Topic: Shugenja Handbook  (Read 53840 times)

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
Re: Shugenja Handbook
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2009, 10:42:25 AM »
OA has a pronunciation guide on p.251... it says "shoo-gen-jah"

That would definitely be the Japanese pronunciation at least. Though you don't want to stress the shoo part, it should be muted, with emphasis on gen and then a distinct 'ja.'  Like shuGEN-JYA.

And a quick check from my Japanese dictionary reveals:

??? ???????? (n) mountaineering ascetic

That's fairly correct. The mystic nature of Shugenja mostly stems from folk misunderstanding of what ascetism entails and subsequent making up of stories.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Shugenja Handbook
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2009, 05:32:52 PM »
Hey, I found 3 more shugenja spells in an unlikely place!

Weapons of Legacy has 3 Shugenja spells - Revitalize Least/Lesser/Greater Legacy, which let you use daily powers from your legacy item more often.  Daily powers vary in effectiveness, capping at Time Stop 1/day.  

Given that Legacy Champion has a better HD than Shugenja, and also a better attack progression, and a much better skills list, and the legacy items can provide a lot of utility for the shugenja, it seems that LC might actually be a solid Shugenja PrC, even with the loss of 2 CL's.  Those CL's are partially made up for by the gain of an extra greater legacy (type g, which is ~7th level spells), as well as other greater legacies which are generally on par with 9th level spells.

That is assuming that LC doesn't advance PrCs, of course, in which case you'd advance the PrC that is advancing Shugenja casting instead.

Sample Build: Human Shugenja 5/Paragnostic Apostle 4/Sacred Exorcist 1/Legacy Champion 10
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 01:38:03 AM by Akalsaris »