Author Topic: The 13th Guard Campaign [SW] - Suggestions Wanted  (Read 31561 times)

Shewolf

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Ooh, hey, I don't know if this will be helpful or not, but I've found it useful when I need to cross-reference something.  Some parts are a little bare-bones, but It's a decent starting point for some obscure bits and pieces.

http://www.pantheon.org/
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 01:53:50 PM by Shewolf »

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
will have more critters soon.  I have a May 29 deadline i gotta meet.
Thanks and don't rush on my behalf. Take your time :D I think you've given me some really good ideas. Now I have to pester Irthos about another question. ;)

Shewolf: I use that site a lot as well. Thanks.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
A side note there are large temples known ad Bhutastan, and small shrines called Bhandara for Bhuts to rest in, because they are forbidden to touch the ground (which is sacred).

Jigarkhwar

also called Jigarkhor

http://books.google.com/books?id=6h17h23zo1AC&pg=PA164&lpg=PA164&dq=jigarkhwar&source=bl&ots=zIz4Af6RXN&sig=IJiJSBhTswL2Sn_YTJ5TBGBuGaM&hl=en&ei=Mg4dSpWdL97gtgeJyo2MDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9

http://www.geocities.com/lady_izabell/hijk.html

http://enchanteddoorway.tripod.com/vamp/india.html jackpot!

Pisacha
vampires said to have resulted from humanity's sins, or the ghosts of criminals, liars, adulterers, and lunatics.  Also called Kravyad or Yaksha.

http://www.monstropedia.org/index.php?title=Pisacha

http://books.google.com/books?id=PwsYAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA235&lpg=PA235&dq=pisacha&source=bl&ots=fAmMz4ke9X&sig=5kW_tFHHd9qYatauLM1xmxfAjEY&hl=en&ei=DRAdStH5NsfBtwf8q_maDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1

Pret

http://books.google.com/books?id=au_Vk2VYyrkC&pg=PA249&lpg=PA249&dq=pret+india+ghost&source=bl&ots=r_EXC8bXEi&sig=fka7oEG1PbiFhD1Tt815iNU7eB0&hl=en&ei=LBEdSsvfDsjktgfStfibDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1

Also called paret or Petni if feminine, this is the ghost of a child who was deformed or died at birth.  The size of a mans thumb it is forbidden to drink water by the deity Varuna, and if offered food and milk by villagers it will be friendly.  If bothered it may become a Bhut, spreading disease and drinking the blood of the living.  They only walk the earth for 1 year after burial, weak and sad, before moving on, unless they become a Bhut.  Anyone witnessing a procession of Pret can die or become insane.

I also have this book: https://www.herogames.com/viewItem.htm?itemID=202080
which lists a few more possibilities
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 08:23:45 AM by bhu »

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
How useful have you found that book, bhu?
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
QUESTIONS: So here's the situation - edges are like feats (but less flat bonuses, more interesting in some regards). I'm in the process of finishing up things for the game (so it runs smoother in RL, and so I can start a PbP), which requires edges to be complete.

Help? I want to come up with at least 2-3 edges per paranormal aspect and/or race.  I don't need mechanics, but specific fluff/what the goal is.  I've got some ideas, so feel free to critique and add your own. :D

Metas - I'm at a bit of a loss here. Maybe one for evolved that don't have the implant to be able to blend in/find a hideout quick and dirty?  Or one for those with telepathy/tech ability to be able to 'sense' others, due to their chip or something.  That might be two. Anyone got another idea? It doesn't have to appeal to all Metas, just some (re: more than one :P)

Vamps - I think I have this more or less covered. Master Vampire, Master of the City. Master of the Beast. True Call of the Beast. Those have to deal with swaying weres and gaining power with age, and notoriety. They can get human servants and form triumvirates of power, too.

Therianthrope - Go for the Throat, lets weres acquire a wolf's attack power. Master of the Beast, too. Ulfric, Panwere, any other ideas?

Witches - I'm at a loss here?

Sensitives - Here too?

Vaudans - Something that speeds up rituals? Control of darkness? Gris-gris users?

Humans can get the 4 marks as 4 edges to become a human servant. Not sure about atlanteans or aztecs...

The above seems a bit rushed because I have to pass out, but any help is appreciated. :)
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

bhu

• Organ Grinder
How useful have you found that book, bhu?

It lists some rare critters not usually found in bestiaries, and several countries that you dont usually see bestiaries for.  It's not as exhaustively detailed as a GURPS sourcebook, but it does okay.  I also have the Vampire Encyclopedia too.

bhu

• Organ Grinder

Witches - I'm at a loss here?

Sensitives - Here too?

Vaudans - Something that speeds up rituals? Control of darkness? Gris-gris users?

What are witches in your world exactly? The term means different things to different people. 

I'm assuming the Vaudan are in africa only, as voodoo is strictly an american/caribbean thing (though it is influenced by african spiritual beliefs).

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 09:48:17 AM by bhu »

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
What are witches in your world exactly? The term means different things to different people. 

I'm assuming the Vaudan are in africa only, as voodoo is strictly an american/caribbean thing (though it is influenced by african spiritual beliefs).
Witches covers most magic users. Those who study magical arts, even sometimes called dark arts. Think wizard or sorcerer in D&D terms. Merlin, Gandalf, Harry Potter, Dr. Fate. They're all witches, for lack of a better term. At the same time, a holy warrior who studies ancient scriptures and invoke the power of faith as a weapon would be a witch. It's not a good/evil concept, it's a method of activating power, at least in this setting.

Vaudan/Voodoo practitioners are primarily in Africa, North America, and the Caribbean, although others exist throughout the world. Again, it's a simple term for the mechanics, and the most populous term used to describe the power. They could just as easily be called ritualists. in this sense, they deal more with dark things, and have a hint of evil defaulted into the flavor/mechanics. People who draw their power from rituals requiring an offering fit in this category.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Irthos Levethix

• Donkey Kong
  • We're all a little mad here
    • Email
So what is the base difference, mechanics wise, of a Witch and a Meta?
Run, my pretty little chunks of XP!! - Belkar Bitterleaf

92% Tactician 83% Method Actor 75% Min/Maxer         Thats 250% of Gamer, bitches!

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
Powers available, for starters. Metas have a broader range (ideally) while Witches power selection choices are balanced more along the 'magic' line. Or at least that was the idea. ;) If there are drastic errors, let me know. :P

How the powers are activated is the other aspect. Metas are heavily regulated, partly because they have such strong potential. Witches get a bit more freedom, but their powers can have drawbacks.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Irthos Levethix

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
So, Witches = Wizards that have to be secret, and Metas = Sorcs that have to be secret too?

Is there an edge to start as a Meta w/o the implant?  Or maybe you ripped it out?

92% Tactician 83% Method Actor 75% Min/Maxer         Thats 250% of Gamer, bitches!

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
lol, no. Wizards/sorcs would both be witches. There's not many regulations regarding witchcraft in most countries. A lot of people actually don't believe in it still. It fell out of practice a while ago. There's some magic only witches can weave, or so they say.

Metas are either hunted down, or they're pawns of whatever government owns them.  They're HEAVILY regulated. ;)

Born metas are injected at birth. Most don't know where they were injected, so it's tough to find the implant, even if you can find a doc willing to remove it (which is sketchy as hell at best)

Evolved metas have the option of not having gotten the implant. If they get the implant, they're registered like born metas. If not, they get the wanted hindrance.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Irthos Levethix

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Damn.  I think it'd be fun to play as a Meta thats wanted, but you're working for the uber secret unnatural research people (U.S.U.R.P) so you HAVE to be black ops.  Good times.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
For a bit of clarification. There's a device, not unlike a radar gun that can scan for mutations of the human DNA. It also registers Aztecs, so it's not perfect, but police are authorized to use it after they see a paranormal activity and their implant detector malfunctions. So you're probably wanted by your home government (Spain for example), but can get away scott-free in India, for example, until you reveal your mutations around cops/rats.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Irthos Levethix

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Oh, I was under the impression that the registration went into an international database, similar to Interpol I guess.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
Registration does. So whether you're in Singapore or Atlanta, an RMD (Registered Meta Detector) used by an officer will indicate that you have the implant, and are registered. So it gives them access to your power list and known weaknesses.  If they don't have that info, because you're an illegal, then why would a country share that? Having known metas not be registered is a bad show, so governments hunt them silently and share no information about their wanted metas, generally.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
Okay, I tapped what inspiration I had to come up with a list of edges.  I'm not fully satisfied with the number of them... or even the quality of some, but hey. It's very much a work in progress. Please let me know any errors/questions anyone has. I'm still open to suggestions, but if they're functional, I may just go with them and create new ones as demanded. ;)

Edges:
[spoiler]
Novice Edges
First Mark (Novice, Human blood, Spirit d8): This edge is only available to those with the Batman, Witch, Vaudan Priest, or Sensitive paranormal aspect.  You've been chosen by a Vampire to become his Human Servant.  A bit of his power has been placed with you.  When making an opposed roll against a Vampire's power, you gain a +2 on your roll.  Also, when making a Spirit roll to recover from being shaken, you gain a +2 on the roll.

Gadgeteer (Novice, Aztec, Smarts d8): This works as the Mechanical Genius Edge from the Necessary Evil Setting.

Go for the Throat (Novice, Predatory Therianthrope, Fighting d10): Predatory animals instinctively go for the throat in combat, and a Therianthrope with this edge has developed that predatory blood-lust as well.  When fighting with its natural weapons, a therianthrope hits its target's most weakly-armored location with a raise on the attack roll.

Member of the BrotherhoodSeasoned Edges
Call Shadows (Seasoned, Vampire or Vaudan, Spirit d10, Vigor d8): Some vampires and Vaudans have been known to be able to call shadows, cloaking an area in darkness.  They tend to use this ability to enclose their safe haven from intruders.  With a successful Vigor roll, a character with this edge can cloak a large burst area in darkness for a number of minutes equal to their Spirit die.  With a raise, the area becomes a circle with a radius of the character's Smarts die and the duration increases to hours with a second raise.

Empathic Voice Manipulation (Seasoned, Vampire, Spirit d10, Persuasion d8): Certain Vampires have been known to develop this ability.  When experiencing an emotion that matches their general personality, they have shown the ability to, through vocal communication, cause this emotion to rise in their audience.  When you take this edge, choose an emotion tied to your personality (Joy, Sadness, Fear, etc). When you are exhibiting this emotion and dealing with others, you may transfer the emotion to them. If used in conjunction with a social skill, you gain a +2 to the roll.

Gris-Gris User (Seasoned, Vaudan, Spirit d12):  A Gris-Gris is a small bag or other cloth filled with herbs, spices, leaves, and/or small bones that someone wears around their neck or arm. It is a charm made to do a specific task.  There is a thing that must be done to keep its power and a thing that must never be done, lest its power falter.  When a Vaudan Priest performs the requisite ritual, they can form a single Gris-Gris with a minor effect (+2 to certain rolls, a die increase for a certain skill, a minor ability - the exact nature is fluid and up to the GM). There is also a task that must be done to keep its power (generally once per week) and something that must never be done, or the Gris-Gris will cease to function.  It takes a 24 hour ritual to make a Gris-Gris and it only functions for the one who made it.  A Gris-Gris user can only have one Gris-Gris in existence at a time.

London Tragedy (Seasoned, Born Meta, Spirit d10): You were born a Meta, and no one truly knows what it's been like to grow up as mistreated as you have been.  It's been tough, but you've learned to turn that hate and fear around on people who would keep you down.  Whenever you are dealing with a non-Meta Human who knows about the London Tragedy, you may reference it nonchalantly to drive your point home, gaining a +2 bonus on intimidate, persuasion, or taunt, as the situation deems.  People fear you, and rightfully so.

Master of the Beast (Seasoned, Therianthrope, Family Guardian, or Vampire, Smart d10, Animal Control Power): With an opposed Spirit roll, a Master of the Beast may apply his or her Animal Control power to a therianthrope or Family Guardian of the appropriate animal variety.  This edge will even apply to the animal companion modifier, although if the therianthrope/guardian wishes to free itself, it may attempt an opposed Spirit roll once per day to free itself from a Master of the Beast.

Mental Focus (Seasoned, Sensitive, Smarts d10): Your mind has been trained to fight off the constraints of your body.  You gain a +2 bonus on rolls to remove the shaken condition and may use your smarts die instead of spirit in a test of wills where the opponent is attempting to intimidate you.

Rise Early (Seasoned, Vampire, Vigor d10): Unlike most vampires, you do not fall into a coma at dawn. While you still require ~6 hours of sleep, you can choose when to sleep. The sun still burns you, and you must avoid daylight as normal, but now you can wake during the day (a useful ability to combat Vampire Hunters).

Second MarkStudent of the Thin Veil (Seasoned, Vaudan, Smarts d10): They say that some Vaudans practice not in the bewitching hour, but in those brief moments when the night becomes day and the day becomes night.  This time, known as the Thin Veil, is a difficult time to practice Vaudan.  The Loa that answer your call at this time ask for you to supply the sacrifice yourself.  You offer your own blood instead of another sacrifice. You now only take a -2 instead of -4 in non-darkened areas when performing rituals. Also, you take no bonus/penalty for the sacrifice, with the following exception: If you inflict a wound on yourself, you gain a +2 on the roll.  You may still use the white goat sacrifice option.

Veteran Edges
Alpha Therianthrope (Veteran, Therianthrope, Vigor d12):  You have mastered the shift. You may change form as often as you wish with no drawbacks. In fact, you've mastered shifting just portions of your body as you see fit.  You add the Chameleon power to the list of available powers you could choose via Extra Power Points.  Also, your trait boost ability regardless of form, now.  Each additional time this edge is taken, you may choose 2 powers that you have.  They now apply continuously, regardless of form, as you can shift whatever part of you is needed to acquire that ability with a mere thought.

Master of the Veil (Veteran, Vaudan, Smarts d12): You have mastered the Thin Veil like few have before you.  Light or day, you may perform a ritual with no penalty.  The downside is you must always offer of yourself as a sacrifice. The Loa will take nothing shy of human blood as a sacrifice from you.  By mastering the veil, however, you are able to call the Loa to you regardless of situation.  You no longer need verve to perform your ritual, allowing for you to perform a ritual in the middle of the street in daylight without any evidence other than eye witnesses.

Master Vampire (Veteran, Vampire, Spirit d12): When a Vampire becomes a Master Vampire, it gains a new ability appropriate to its heritage.  Currently, Belle Morte and Morvoren sire the most common vampires. Those of Belle Morte's line gain the ardeur.  To use this ability requires the Empathic Voice Manipulation Edge. Those of Morvoren's line are called Mora, and feed on fear.  To use this ability, the Vampire must already have the Fear power.  These are not the only Master Vampire powers, of course, but merely the most common.
-A Mora's Fear ability gains the Replenish modifier (from Altered Form). Whenever someone fails the guts roll from the fear (whether your modifier, you may use the Replenish modifier.  This happens automatically and does not require an action.  In addition, you are able to sustain on fear, blood or any combination of the two.
-The Arduer grants the Vampire power over sexual energy. When in areas of heavy sexual energy (a strip-club, an orgy, having sex, etc) you may use the Replenish modifier.  This happens automatically and does not require an action.  In addition, you are able to sustain on sexual energy, blood, or any combination of the two.  Also, when you need to feed, with a successful Persuasion roll, you may use your Empathic Voice Manipulation to elicit sexual urges from someone.

Partial Human ServantThird Mark (Veteran, Second Mark, Vigor d10): With the third mark, the Vampire has tasted your blood and the bond is unbreakable. You gain immunity to poison, most diseases, and are constantly in telepathic communication with your master.

Heroic Edges
Complete Human ServantFourth MarkGris-gris Master (Heroic, Vaudan, Smarts d12): Similar to the gris-gris user, except that now the Vaudan Priest has expounded on the gris-gris. With this edge, a Vaudan Priest can build a gris-gris that allows him to obtain access to another paranormal aspect, or extend some of his own powers in new ways.  The exact mechanics should be discussed between the Game Master and the Vaudan.  This item comes at a cost, though. A gris-gris of this power requires highly magical blood at a relatively frequent rate (every few days or so).

Master of the City (Heroic, Vampire, Smarts d12, Animal Control Power): Vampires promoted to Master of the City are well known.  They gain a blood loyalty from all vampires in their protection and power, but must also answer to the Council.

Split Mind (Heroic, Sensitive, ???): ---

True Call of the Beast (Heroic, Master of the City, Master of the Beast, Spirit d12+2) With an opposed Spirit roll, a Master of the Beast may apply his or her Master of the Beast power to any magical creature in relation to the appropriate animal variety.  This edge will even apply to the animal companion modifier, although if the creature wishes to free itself, it may attempt an opposed spirit roll once per day to free itself from its Master.  A Master Vampire who can call snakes could use this power on a lamia, for example.

UlfricLegendary Edges
PanwereTriumvirate (Legendary, Vampire, Master of the Beast, Complete Human Servant): When a vampire binds a human servant and a lycanthrope, within a sufficiently short period of time, the three may form a triangular relationship called a triumvirate. This relationship forms a virtuous circle that magnifies and shares the abilities of all participants. A Vampire is in constant mental communication with both members of the triumvirate.  Depending on the animal and servant, different Vampires have been known to acquire drastically different powers, but the closer together the three are, the more powerful they all become.

Triumvirate (Legendary, Therianthrope, Master of the Beast): When a vampire binds a human servant and a lycanthrope, within a sufficiently short period of time, the three may form a triangular relationship called a triumvirate. This relationship forms a virtuous circle that magnifies and shares the abilities of all participants. A Therianthrope is in constant mental communication with both members of the triumvirate.  Depending on the vampire and human servant, different therianthropes have been known to acquire drastically different powers, but the closer together the three are, the more powerful they all become.

Triumvirate (Legendary, Fourth Mark Spirit d12+2, Vigor d12+2): When a vampire binds a human servant and a lycanthrope, within a sufficiently short period of time, the three may form a triangular relationship called a triumvirate. This relationship forms a virtuous circle that magnifies and shares the abilities of all participants. A Human Servant is in constant mental communication with both members of the triumvirate.  Depending on the vampire and therianthrope, different servants have been known to acquire powers from the vampire or therianthrope, or in rare cases, both.[/spoiler]
Edit 1: Organized by rank, for ease of use.
Edit 2: Edited Novice edges. I think they're good to go...
Edit 3: And Seasoned edges are a bit more concrete/less vague. :)
Edit 4: Gotta get to my books so I can fix Master Vampire. I want the basics to be concrete. It's a mutable edge, though. Depends on the background and all that. :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 12:11:51 AM by AfterCrescent »
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Shewolf

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
This may be a little late for suggestions, but I thought of something for vaudan priests.  You'd mentioned before something about their rituals being tied to darkness, and perhaps being more potent at night.  What if there were an edge that made the priest's powers most potent during the magical twilight hours of dawn and dusk when the veil between worlds is thin...
I dunno, it's a thought.   :)