Author Topic: The 13th Guard Campaign [SW] - Suggestions Wanted  (Read 31662 times)

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
I'm confused, was that in reference to the biological warfare Ejo's suggested, or the mad scientist combining of paranormals?
Both, it starts as the origin to some of the bloodlines for the shapeshifters, but later on, the mad scientists use that as a basis that doing so is possible at all. After all, if some of the  Therianthropes began that way, why can't you blend the others?

Of course, the 'fun' way to react this is that such a combination produces an entirely new sort of supernatural, unpredictably so, as their only common thread was that the thing started human. A good way back for some.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Irthos Levethix

• Donkey Kong
  • We're all a little mad here
    • Email
And yes, Wikipedia has the basic theory correct (at least according to one of my middle school history books), and I included the Rus as a way to tie Vikings into the reason why the Therianthropes were flocking to Russia. You're welcome Irthos. ;)

Awesome.  I thought the Vikings were toast.  That really is some epic brainstorming there, Ejo.
Run, my pretty little chunks of XP!! - Belkar Bitterleaf

92% Tactician 83% Method Actor 75% Min/Maxer         Thats 250% of Gamer, bitches!

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy

bhu: I do have India having its own share of Vampires, but nothing compared to America or Eastern Europe. I did not know that the Vampire mythos may have begun there. That's interesting.  It does, actually, connect a few things in my mind between some Indian creatures and Vampires, though. That's good to know. Thanks :)

As for mythological creatures, sure. At this point, I'd be looking for general creatures/hooks/fluff. The actual stats for the system are pretty easy to handle, so I can do that. I'd appreciate any help on the creatures and their fluff, though. :D

Thanks for the links. I'll have to read up on those when I get a chance.  Hrm... Asia may prove a bigger stumbling block than I first thought.  What would work better, behind the scenes manipulation, brute force, or historical manipulation?  I'm not entirely sure how to handle it...

Brute force is a likely possibility.  If the triads unify they'd have millions of members.  Plus CHina has some upcoming problems.  Due to their population, within the coming years every worker will essentially be supporting 2 parents and 4 grand-parents.  They'll have worse social security problems than we do.  Plus they're current generation is short about 500 to 600 thousand women because of the one child law.  Much of China is rural farming communities that are beginning to industrialize, and they're allowed one child if it's a girl, or two if they have boys.  Traditionally women are seen as being less capable of farming work, and are looked upon as a burden, so they tend to get aborted.  This has left a generation predominantly made of men, who have no hope of finding a wife which they will need to keep the farm in the family, so first cousins are being allowed to marry in some places.  In the real backwaters incest taboos have broken down almost entirely in order to keep the farm (and their only source of cash) going.  So what to do with all these extra men who may be unemployable and are liekly to turn to crime?  Especially since you've so polluted your own land and water that you've had to start importing much of your food and water?

War seems the obvious answer.  You gain control of your neighbors resources, and if you take hundreds of thousands of casualties while wiping them out, you can afford to.  You'll always have more.

For mythological stuff: You want me to concentrate on a particular area?  Or would you like info on therianthropes and vampires first?

Irthos Levethix

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
bhu, Its not my world of course, but knowing where he's pulling some of his materials from, he's probably got vamps and were's covered.  Maybe some of the odder therianthropes, like foxes or or pandas or something.

I was hoping people from other countries would post local folklores and such, we do have quite a bit of diversity here.  Also, maybe not even mythology, but strange and interesting places.  Places like Stonehenge, and Easter Island, that have their own mystique.

on a tangent, is the Chupacabra around?  Was it mexican vampires all along?  Are the Aztec Vamps?  (Surely...)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 09:38:03 PM by Irthos Levethix »

92% Tactician 83% Method Actor 75% Min/Maxer         Thats 250% of Gamer, bitches!

bhu

• Organ Grinder
True, but there are some pretty darned weird and interesting variations on vamps and weres out there.  A small sample:

The Bouda tribe from Africa (which may have migrated to Greece, Bulgaria, and Syria) are a matriarchal tribe of magical healers, blacksmiths, and woodcutters wh can transform into hyenas at will. 

The Brahmaparush is an Indian vampire that sucks its victims blood out hrough its skull, eats the flesh from its face, and then does a ritual dance with the victims intestines twined around it's head like a turban.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
Brute force is a likely possibility.  If the triads unify they'd have millions of members.  Plus CHina has some upcoming problems.  Due to their population, within the coming years every worker will essentially be supporting 2 parents and 4 grand-parents.  They'll have worse social security problems than we do.  Plus they're current generation is short about 500 to 600 thousand women because of the one child law.  Much of China is rural farming communities that are beginning to industrialize, and they're allowed one child if it's a girl, or two if they have boys.  Traditionally women are seen as being less capable of farming work, and are looked upon as a burden, so they tend to get aborted.  This has left a generation predominantly made of men, who have no hope of finding a wife which they will need to keep the farm in the family, so first cousins are being allowed to marry in some places.  In the real backwaters incest taboos have broken down almost entirely in order to keep the farm (and their only source of cash) going.  So what to do with all these extra men who may be unemployable and are liekly to turn to crime?  Especially since you've so polluted your own land and water that you've had to start importing much of your food and water?

War seems the obvious answer.  You gain control of your neighbors resources, and if you take hundreds of thousands of casualties while wiping them out, you can afford to.  You'll always have more.
Thanks bhu, this is really good insight. The world is used to military coups, so another one wouldn't be out of place. Although I am going for a bit of an alternate history, so I think dropping some of the more complex/confusing laws (one child) wouldn't be too bad.  I do like the idea of a mafia-military. :D

For mythological stuff: You want me to concentrate on a particular area?  Or would you like info on therianthropes and vampires first?
Maybe some of the odder therianthropes, as Irthos mentioned. Your example of the Boudas is good background info for Family Guardian hyenas.  As for vampires, at least from that example, they're all still pretty much the same, just different cultures and all that. The variations can be, of course, dealt with through different vampire powers.

If you have a special area you enjoy learning about, feel free to share mythos about that.

I do agree with Irthos, I would love to hear some local folklore from people on the boards. That would be awesome.

To answer your question about Chupacabras, no. At least not in the normal sense.  It's one of the truly mythological creatures, in that humanity has never found evidence of its existence.  That's not to say there isn't a blood sucking mutated creature running around Africa now...  The Vaudan Cloud does have its interesting creatures. ;)

And no, Aztecs are neither vampires, nor can they become vampires (at least not now).  Their time spent in another dimension/multiverse/outside reality has made them impervious to the Vampiric Curse. :P
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
I thought the Vikings were toast.

Nah, they just settled. Russia, Normandy (which eventually led to the Norman Kings of England), and other places. Of course, their descendants still live in Norway and Sweden and other Scandinavian areas as well.

And really, most cultures have some legends that can be linked to Therianthropy, and many would suggest that it is possible to have some kind of mix between a Therianthrope and Vampire, and another possible angle on the source of infectious Therianthropy could be through such a mix (this would not really conflict with my prior suggestion, and could, in fact, elaborate on it, it's possible that rudimentary breeding/ritual mixing was practiced early on in such a culture; breeding warriors like horses and dogs).

A Family Guardian, for whatever reason lacking the immunity and turned to vampire, and this causes a mutation in what s/he spreads. The results are seen as a successful strain of warriors, and the rituals are dropped (except in the case of the best warriors and highest ranking chiefs) in favor of the version which is far easier to spread. As a derivative of vampirism, therianthropes would still be immune, as would most Family Guardians, though potentially not those descended from the original source?

Also, there should be at least cameos by Lovecraftian mythos. Possibly as the cause for the cloud in Africa? Or the Atlantians constantly refer to their wars with an aquatic race of scaled humanoids, and a powerful sect of Atlantians are secretly worshipers of Cthulhu?

bhu

• Organ Grinder
I'll start with shapeshifters then. 

Some vampires are pretty weird though.  Many wont have the usual abilities/vulnerabilities.  There's one east european one that becomes invulnerable after 40 days for example.  I think Google Books has The Vampire Universe on it, if yoou want some reading material.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
Ejo, I'm dead tired, so I'll have to get back to understanding your post in the morning. However, I do want to address the Lovecraftian mythos.  Things Which Were Not Meant To Be Seen may or may not exist. ;) They would not be the cause for the cloud, but they definitely exist within the cloud (not that anyone could live to tell you that). There's also some unknown creatures that are thawing out of Antarctica and Greenland.  The actual Lovecraftian mythos would stretch too closely to religious incorporation for my taste, so no aqautic race of scaled humanoids or secret Cthulu worshipers... Well maybe there are, but they'd be a minor focus, and Cthulu would not be appearing unless in a Free-for-All Battle Royal with Buddha, Jesus, and all manner of other religious figures. :P
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
Cthulu ... in a Free-for-All Battle Royal with Buddha, Jesus, and all manner of other religious figures. :P

I'd watch that on pay per view. :D

bhu

• Organ Grinder
Cthulu ... in a Free-for-All Battle Royal with Buddha, Jesus, and all manner of other religious figures. :P

"And Jesus has Cthulhu in the devastating Aramaic Pinkie Hold! Will our tentacled hero escape!  Will he avenge his loss at the last pay per view?  Is he ...Is he going for it?  YES! YES LADIES AND GENTLEMAN HE'S SUMMONING AZATHOTH!  AW MAN CHRIST IS FUCKED NOW!"

< Has always secretly wanted to make a game called the Cthulhu Wasslin' Federation :D

bhu

• Organ Grinder
OK AC here's a few links for you:

http://books.google.com/books?id=H1axCZifXdwC&dq=vampire+universe&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=UQ1vc0lNBe&sig=7vcoa4kvGDxK414LXaG5vwqPc6Y&hl=en&ei=PaQOSsjpIpaMtge06ZSMCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werewolf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin-walker
yes i know its a wiki link but they do a nice job with this one (at least they had at the time i read it)

http://www.monstropedia.org/index.php?title=Category:African_mythology

also in the Plugs board I have a set of cryptid/paranormal links, and a set of mythological links.  This should tide you over till I can do some serious searching

Irthos Levethix

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Just to clarify, I had a typo up there, I meant to ask if there were any Aztec Vamps, not that they ARE vamps.  But you answered none the less.  And thats kinda suprising, given Obsidian Butterfly.  But still cool.

So, can the Half-Aztecs and Half-Atlanteans become vampires?  Or weres?

And Ejo, I meant that I thought the Vikings were toast as in not making it into the campaign world, but you've brought A New Hope. (capitalized for being a starwars geek).

I'm too tired to think straight... maybe I should go play the alphabet game some more.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
Ejo: Okay, now that I'm awake, I actually understand your post. :P  That's what I get for 3AM readings.  Those are some interesting possibilities regarding the origins of infectious therianthropy.  I think I have a couple ideas down on how they came to be, although taht would be so long ago as to have been lost to the annals of history.  You know, unless it became an important clue to solving a situation. ;)

I think we all would . ;)  And bhu, that would be a hilarious game. :P

bhu:That Vampire Universe book looks very informing. I'm not sure I want to use all of that, as it may stretch the scope of the game/world, but some of it I've already incorporated.  If it's not mentioned in the Google Doc, part of the inspiration I'm using is the LKH universe.  So all vampires subsist on blood, but some can subsist on other things instead. So a flesh-eater or succubus style vampire may exist, however, in a pinch, it could feast on blood, even if it's preferred method is something else.

One of the things I like about the SW system is its connection of fluff to mechanics, so while I've written up basics, there can be modified changes. It's almost a bare-bones system that allows for easy customization. So if you wanted a Hyena Family Guardian, maybe the stats they get wouldn't apply to you, you could get something else instead. Simple and customizable. :)

Those wiki links are nicely done. Thanks for those. A lot of it already fits into the campaign world well. Skin-walkers and the Ya Ya Ceremony, etc are covered by the witch paranormal aspect, and according to the wiki were Native American witches, for example. :D

That African mythology link will be vary useful for adventures. Thanks. :D  I'll make sure your cryptid links become a research depot for my adventures... ;)

Irthos: Ah, okay. That makes more sense, but yes, none-the-less there are no Aztec vamps right now (that we know of). It is, theoretically possible that an Aztec was turned before they vanished and still lives. Although it would have to be evolutionarily different from modern Aztecs. :P  As for Obsidian Butterfly, are we referring to her or the main villain?  Either way, they would have been humans in the Aztec Empire that turned, not necessarily Aztecs themselves, if that makes sense. Back in the day, Aztecs lived/breeded with humanity frequently, although when they cut their ties, things ended.  If you could get a vamp from that era to talk (highly unlikely), you could probably get some insight onto what caused the Aztecs to leave in the first place. ;)

So, can the Half-Aztecs and Half-Atlanteans become vampires?  Or weres?
Half-Aztecs can contract either manner of the therianthrope virus.  Their Aztec blood, as far as experiments in the last 15 years have gone, seem to indicate an immunity to Vampiracy.  Kinda sucks when you try to become a vampire and die, but don't actually get back up the next night... :smirk Half-Atlanteans don't have that problem, and can become Vampires and Therianthropes. Although it sucks for the Aquatic Half-Atlanteans, since they still suffer the Vampire's weakness to water...

lol, as BimR told me, in reference to Vikings in this world: "They didn't die or disappear. I'm still here."
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

bhu

• Organ Grinder
Im assuming by LKH universe you mean ANita Blake

http://halo-productions.com/anita/

havent read the books, but I keep hearing about them.

Irthos Levethix

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Im assuming by LKH universe you mean ANita Blake

http://halo-productions.com/anita/

havent read the books, but I keep hearing about them.

Dude, you really should, they're great. Also see the Princess Meredith series.  Vampires/Weres and the Fae, respectively.
Although, past a certain point in the Anita Blakes, and pretty much all the Meredith series, its alot of well written porn.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
Yes bhu, but really my biggest complaint is
past a certain point in the Anita Blakes its alot of well written porn.

However, for actual mythology and paranormal creatures, she has good content. Her writing abandons a lot of the bullshit that modern movies and crap have twisted into Vampire & Lycan mythos.  I think my favorite thing about the series though, is how disgusting and disturbing the image of a man shifting into a wolf actually is.  And it's even worse for rats. But yeah, we don't need to go into rants on the series, but there are some good bits I've blatantly stolen. I mean I've also clearly ripped off X-men and some other places. I could probably put this into When Inspiration Strikes just as easily. ;)
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

bhu

• Organ Grinder

Dude, you really should, they're great. Also see the Princess Meredith series.  Vampires/Weres and the Fae, respectively.
Although, past a certain point in the Anita Blakes, and pretty much all the Meredith series, its alot of well written porn.

well written porn you say? :eh

you have my attention  :lol

bhu

• Organ Grinder
so does that halo productions site describe the LHK universe fairly correctly?  Searching for stuff will be easier and quicker if I have an idea of what the world is like.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
I just glanced at it, so with a hesitation, since I don't have time to fully read everything, I'll say yes, for information pertaining to the culture of Vamps/Lycans.

Not all of the things that apply will work in this universe, mechanically. So my write-up will take precedence. Vampires can't be taken out by an uzi, although they can be taken down, just not fully out ;) The top half will still be functional, even if you saw off its legs. :P
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook