Author Topic: Planetouched Templates [3.5]  (Read 4773 times)

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
Planetouched Templates [3.5]
« on: May 06, 2009, 05:20:46 PM »
I've always been annoyed with how planetouched are done; first of all, they should really be done as templates, since they represent a modified version of an existing creature. Secondly, they're extremely restrictive in what they do. Why should every tiefling, regardless of whether they are descended from devils, demons, or yugoloths, get Darkness as a spell-like ability, or have the same ability modifers? Outsiders generally are very diverse.

To remedy that, my proposed versions of planetouched templates. Only the tiefling is done as yet, I'll get to work on the rest in a bit. One thing I'm considering: dropping the ability score penalty and letting the bonus apply to any ability score of the player's choice.

Tieflings can result from long-diluted fiendish bloodlines or from the direct infusion of unholy blood into a living being as part of a blasphemous ritual. Such a ritual requires blood from a fiend with 6 or more hit dice and the expenditure of 100 gp in holy manuscripts to be burned, various types of incense, and blood from exotic animals, but can be used to grant this template even to unwilling creatures (who recieve a Will save with a DC equal to the fiend in question's hit dice to resist); when next the creature would gain a level, it instead gains the abilities granted by this template, although the non-mechanical aspects and Taint of Evil quality apply from the instant the ritual is completed. Such a ritual takes 9 hours to perform. In any case, this results in a creature gaining fiendish qualities, such as glowing or catlike eyes, sharp teeth, or a faint stench of sulfur.

Tiefling:detect evil spell or similar effect. It also detects as its true alignment whenever subject to appropriate effects; in effect, it is both its true alignment and Neutral Evil for any effect dependent on alignment.
If the base creature already has one or more of these special qualities, use the better value.
Skills: A tiefling gains a +2 bonus on any 2 skills
Abilities: +2 to any 2 ability scores. The talents of fiends are varied, and the power of a tiefling depends on its patron fiend.
Environment: Any
Challenge Rating: If base creature's CR <5, as base creature +1. Otherwise, as base creature.
Alignment: Always evil (any).
Level Adjustment: Same as the base creature +1[/spoiler]

Aasimar can result from long-diluted celestial bloodlines, or from sacred rituals designed to bless and consecrate individuals who have demonstrated true nobility. Such a ritual requires the presence of a celestial with 6 or more HD and the expenditure of 100 gp on holy water, sacred scrolls to be read, and sanctified nourishment for all present. Rarely, this ritual can be used on an unwilling subject in an attempt to force redemption; the introduction of pure good into a subject can often cause reflection and a genuine desire to repent, although in some cases it has failed to do so and only given more power to already depraved individuals. Unwilling subjects recieve a Will save with a DC equal to the hit dice of the celestial to resist all effects of the template. The possibility of failure to convert an unwilling subject is why this is so rarely done. When next the creature would gain a level, it instead gains the abilities granted by this template, although the non-mechanical aspects and Trace of Good quality apply from the instant the ritual is completed. Such a ritual requires 7 hours to complete, and is nearly always followed by 2 hours of meditation on the part of the subject. In any case, a creature with this template gains some celestial qualities, such as golden or brilliantly green eyes, silver hair, or a heavenly voice.

Aasimar:Chaond:Zenythri:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 11:56:54 PM by Bauglir »
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Re: Planetouched Templates [3.5]
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 10:14:33 AM »
I haven't read through all the specifics, but I like the general concept.  I've often thought they should be templates too, and if you're fine with a level adjustment, it's not that hard to pull off.

I'll read in more detail when I have more time.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
Re: Planetouched Templates [3.5]
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 09:01:28 PM »
Minor change: dropped all the rituals to 100 gp. 1000 is too significant at lower levels.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.