Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer, Part III, The Reckoning  (Read 136653 times)

Nuntius Mortis

• Curious George
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer, Part III, The Reckoning
« Reply #960 on: July 14, 2009, 10:10:42 PM »
Q293: The Variant Child Template (the one from the D&D Wiki) halves the Hit Dice of the creature. How does apply to a creature with 3 HD? The result of the halving is 1.5 and the template doesn't mention anything about halving down or up the Hit Dice. So, what happens in that case? It counts as a 1 HD creature that substitutes its hit dice for its first level or not?

Q294: If a race mentions "advancement: by character class" do we ommit the Hit Dice it has and thus we do not take its BAB, Saves, Skills and Hit Dice-dependent benefits of its special attacks (if any)?
Never underestimate a halfling!

Sepehr Anvari - Chaos Monk

Velnius Agonista - Halfling Thrower (needs repair)

SixthDeclension

• King Kong
  • "Wit is educated insolence."
    • Email
« Reply #961 on: July 14, 2009, 11:38:41 PM »
Q294: If a race mentions "advancement: by character class" do we ommit the Hit Dice it has and thus we do not take its BAB, Saves, Skills and Hit Dice-dependent benefits of its special attacks (if any)?
I believe if it has one HD you ignore it, but more than that you take them into account. Can't give a quote though.
My choice place for buying Magic: the Gathering Singles: adventuresOn.com

Currently DMing a Solo PbP, Check it out here

Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green,
That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown,
That host on the morrow lay withered and strown.

Nuntius Mortis

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #962 on: July 14, 2009, 11:51:56 PM »
I believe if it has one HD you ignore it, but more than that you take them into account. Can't give a quote though.

If it has 3 HD and you add a template to it and the HD falls to 1.5 (and due to rounding down to 1) you can ignore it, right?

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #963 on: July 14, 2009, 11:58:41 PM »

If it has 3 HD and you add a template to it and the HD falls to 1.5 (and due to rounding down to 1) you can ignore it, right?

I don't think there are any templates that do that in WotC books, so it's DM's call.

A294: No. 'Advancement: by character class' means that they advance by character class, not that they go back and ignore their race and start over with character classes. Basically, they can't gain more racial HD beyond the ones they already have, and must take class levels to progress.

Nuntius Mortis

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #964 on: July 15, 2009, 12:11:25 AM »
I don't think there are any templates that do that in WotC books, so it's DM's call.

There is the Child Variant template in D&D Wiki but because it's not official it's surely up to the DM.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #965 on: July 16, 2009, 02:34:03 AM »
Q 295: Does a Wizard who takes a prestige class not gain new spells in her spellbook per level? Relevant text below:

At each new wizard level, she gains two new spells of any spell level or levels that she can cast (based on her new wizard level) for her spellbook.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #966 on: July 16, 2009, 02:40:11 AM »
Q 295: Does a Wizard who takes a prestige class not gain new spells in her spellbook per level? Relevant text below:

At each new wizard level, she gains two new spells of any spell level or levels that she can cast (based on her new wizard level) for her spellbook.

A296: So long as a spellbook constitutes "spells known" for a wizard, then prestige classes that grant an increase in "spells known" act as though he gained another wizard level for that purpose.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #967 on: July 16, 2009, 03:20:08 AM »

A295: So long as a spellbook constitutes "spells known" for a wizard, then prestige classes that grant an increase in "spells known" act as though he gained another wizard level for that purpose.

Which I believe cheapens the 'hidden arts' and I would recommend the varient where players have to attually find spells or research spells in order to transcribe them into their spell book...
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #968 on: July 16, 2009, 03:52:59 AM »

A295: So long as a spellbook constitutes "spells known" for a wizard, then prestige classes that grant an increase in "spells known" act as though he gained another wizard level for that purpose.

Which I believe cheapens the 'hidden arts' and I would recommend the varient where players have to attually find spells or research spells in order to transcribe them into their spell book...

If you're writing it down, it bloody well isn't much of a hidden art.  Now oral tradition enforced by strict geas, that's a hidden art.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #969 on: July 16, 2009, 04:17:16 AM »

If you're writing it down, it bloody well isn't much of a hidden art.  Now oral tradition enforced by strict geas, that's a hidden art.
What I mean is that a wizard shouldn't have fireball randomly appear in a spell book, it should be aquired and transcribed through effort...
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #970 on: July 16, 2009, 05:56:24 AM »

What I mean is that a wizard shouldn't have fireball randomly appear in a spell book, it should be aquired and transcribed through effort...

Since wizards get spells for free at every level anyway that doesn't really answer Surreal's question.
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #971 on: July 16, 2009, 08:10:50 AM »
Q296: Is there any way (preferably a feat) that allows a Barbarian to use the Concentration skill while Raging?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 05:31:19 AM by BowenSilverclaw »
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #972 on: July 16, 2009, 09:56:51 AM »
Q296: Is there any way (preferably a feat) that allows a Barbarian to use the Concentration skill while Raging?
Steady Concentration, RoS p144.   :)
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #973 on: July 16, 2009, 11:13:59 AM »
Steady Concentration, RoS p144.   :)
I'm not sure that works...

It might, depending on how you read it, but I'd prefer something that actually mentions Rage...
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #974 on: July 16, 2009, 11:47:15 AM »
A296 Righteous Wrath (BoED) sounds like it might do it, but it does not say it.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #975 on: July 16, 2009, 12:25:36 PM »
Yeah, I'm looking for something explicit, not something vague like that, sorry.

Thanks anyway :)

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #976 on: July 16, 2009, 12:42:01 PM »
Well, hmm... rage mage while in spell rage can attempt concentration checks to avoid having spells disrupted. But I guess that won't help you much either.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #977 on: July 16, 2009, 01:22:46 PM »
It's mostly for being able to use the Diamond Mind Concentration maneuvers while Raging with a Barbarian/Warblade I'm working on.

Mushroom

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #978 on: July 16, 2009, 03:12:50 PM »
Q297:Are there any ECL 20 outsiders besides the one in Savage species?(ECL 18-22 is fine as well)

Nuntius Mortis

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #979 on: July 16, 2009, 09:05:55 PM »
Q297:Are there any ECL 20 outsiders besides the one in Savage species?(ECL 18-22 is fine as well)

A297: A lot. You'll find most of these at BoeD, BoVD, Fiendish Codex I and II and Fiend Folio (Fiend Folio has the best of them I may add). Check out the rilmani for example (FF, page 141) that range from ECL 25 (Aurumach) to 17 (Cuprilach) and 13 (Ferrumach) and really create (especially the first two only the last one would really shine on a Str and Con based build). Planar Handbook, Manual of the Planes and of course Monster Manuals (I to V) have some of them as well but I guess that you'll probably already know them. Epic Level Handbook has a lot of outsiders as well but most of them have really high ECLs with the exception of Mercane which only has ECL 7 and the amazing Chichimec which has ECL 23 but I doubt that it would be playable as a) the creature table indicates 27 HD and doesn't match at all with the ECL list that list it as ECL 23 and b) a DM would be really crazy to let you take it as a PC because that thing is actually a demigod (check out the abominations treat if you don't believe me and you'll see that it's actually better from a demigod). If you want something to enhance your PC and the Epic Level Handbook is available then just take the pseudonatural or the paragon templates.

PS: Sorry for not keeping the answer simple but the question had too many answers :P