Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer, Part III, The Reckoning  (Read 136629 times)

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer, Part III, The Reckoning
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2009, 05:08:57 PM »
A 19

The Pride domain (Spell Compendium allows you to reroll a 1 on a save, but only once on any single save (i.e. if you roll another 1, sucks for you).

Corollary to Q 21

If a character with ToGI had sex with a succubus, would the succubus get screwed in more ways than one?

Gorramnit, i just knew someone would bring that up >.<

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2009, 06:24:17 PM »
In more ways than one?... I wouldn't even need ToGI for that...
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2009, 06:06:07 AM »
Q25: Can I UMD a ring of wizardry(I) to pretend to be, say, a level 20 duskblade, and get ten spell slots out of it as a different arcane caster class?

Q26: Can I do that without being a caster?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2009, 10:23:56 AM »
Q25: Can I UMD a ring of wizardry(I) to pretend to be, say, a level 20 duskblade, and get ten spell slots out of it as a different arcane caster class?

Q26: Can I do that without being a caster?

I doubt it. Even if you pass off as being of that class, you still don't have any actual spell slots to base off. It is really the same logic as to why warlocks can't benefit from UMD'ing runestaves.
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2009, 10:36:30 AM »
Concur.  Emulating the Duskblade class doesn't automatically carry with it spell slots, any more than emulating the Fighter class automatically carries with it full BAB.

tusk

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • This is Petrucci!
    • Care to spare a click?  ;)
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2009, 11:08:57 AM »
Q27: What book does War Weaver comes form?

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2009, 11:11:25 AM »
Q27: What book does War Weaver comes form?
A 27

Heroes of Battle, page 112-115.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

BenTheJester

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2009, 03:14:45 PM »
Q28: When the description of a SLA(or any other abilities) says "the save DC is charisma based", does this mean I had my charisma bonus to the save DC?

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2009, 03:20:41 PM »
Q29

In the use of the ''hide in plain sight'' power:

Hide in Plain Sight (Su)

A shadowdancer can use the Hide skill even while being observed. As long as she is within 10 feet of some sort of shadow, a shadowdancer can hide herself from view in the open without anything to actually hide behind. She cannot, however, hide in her own shadow.

Assuming the character has darkvision and is in complete natural darkness, and then encounters another character that also has darkvision, and is in complete natural darkness, in an empty room.  Does hide in plain sight work, considering that, while there might be shadows, darkness being shadows, they are not perceived by the onlooker due to his darkvision?

Assuming the hidee (e.g the person that is hiding) is using child of shadows stance to generate shadows while he moves in said natural darkness, would the onlooker see a patch of shadows moving about, due to the fact they are the only shadows in a room otherwise devoid of them, technically speaking.
Darkvision is black and white only but otherwise like normal sight. Darkvision does not grant one the ability to see in magical darkness.

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2009, 03:22:20 PM »
A28

In the event of a spell like ability, you shall have the following calculation: DC 10+spell level + charisma

In the event of a supernatural ability, based on charisma, such as a ghost's aura, or a nymph's blinding beauty, you shall make the following calculation: DC 10 + half hit dice of the creature + charisma.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2009, 03:24:56 PM »
Q30: would the spell a kobold gains in the Draconic rite of passage qualify a being able to cast a lvl 1 arcane spell for perquisits for anything?
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2009, 03:32:05 PM »
Q29

In the use of the ''hide in plain sight'' power:

Hide in Plain Sight (Su)

A shadowdancer can use the Hide skill even while being observed. As long as she is within 10 feet of some sort of shadow, a shadowdancer can hide herself from view in the open without anything to actually hide behind. She cannot, however, hide in her own shadow.

Assuming the character has darkvision and is in complete natural darkness, and then encounters another character that also has darkvision, and is in complete natural darkness, in an empty room.  Does hide in plain sight work, considering that, while there might be shadows, darkness being shadows, they are not perceived by the onlooker due to his darkvision?

Assuming the hidee (e.g the person that is hiding) is using child of shadows stance to generate shadows while he moves in said natural darkness, would the onlooker see a patch of shadows moving about, due to the fact they are the only shadows in a room otherwise devoid of them, technically speaking.
Darkvision is black and white only but otherwise like normal sight. Darkvision does not grant one the ability to see in magical darkness.

Hide in plain sight works regardless of darkvision or being able to see through magical darkness. The presence of darkness is necessary to be able to use the skill, but unless the darkness itself disappears, the character remains hidden.

It's pretty silly, but no more than a rogue carrying a Tower Shield around so he can hide behind it.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2009, 04:54:39 PM »
Q 30

Could someone point me in the general direction of the section in MoI discussing chakras for non-humanoid creatures?
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2009, 05:44:06 PM »
Concur.  Emulating the Duskblade class doesn't automatically carry with it spell slots, any more than emulating the Fighter class automatically carries with it full BAB.

But with the example given in the PHB, the rogue was able to turn normal water into holy water using UMD, despite the process normally expending a turn undead attempt...
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Nachofan99

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2009, 07:27:42 PM »
Q31 Can a Frenzied Berserker use the Moment of Perfect Mind Maneuver to get them self out of their frenzy? 

Google and the site search engine did not give me any links to good enough answers.

I think I am seeing the specific trump the general here; as in - the Maneuver *grants* a cool ability when it says "You can use this maneuver anytime you would be required to make a Will save." 

Therefore, since I'm required to make a Will save, I *can* use the Maneuver, regardless of the fact that the FB says I cannot make Concentration checks, because the specific of the maneuver trumps the more general text of the FB.  Correct interpretation? YMMV? Yes/No? Ride the chocobo?

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2009, 07:36:08 PM »
Q32: If I'm playing a veritble character, and do to some magic, resurrection, Rite of Rebirth, being transfered to another body, and that brings be down to a lower age catagory, do I lose my mental score inhancements?
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2009, 07:51:39 PM »
Q32: If I'm playing a veritble character, and do to some magic, resurrection, Rite of Rebirth, being transfered to another body, and that brings be down to a lower age catagory, do I lose my mental score inhancements?

That's "venerable".

Depends if if it's your own body that got younger or if you just got a new, younger body, i would assume.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2009, 07:57:17 PM »
Q31 Can a Frenzied Berserker use the Moment of Perfect Mind Maneuver to get them self out of their frenzy? 

Google and the site search engine did not give me any links to good enough answers.

I think I am seeing the specific trump the general here; as in - the Maneuver *grants* a cool ability when it says "You can use this maneuver anytime you would be required to make a Will save." 

Therefore, since I'm required to make a Will save, I *can* use the Maneuver, regardless of the fact that the FB says I cannot make Concentration checks, because the specific of the maneuver trumps the more general text of the FB.  Correct interpretation? YMMV? Yes/No? Ride the chocobo?

The short answer is that he shouldn't be able to.

The long answer is that regardless of whether the maneuver grants you with an ability that you should or should not have, that ability is keyed off a skill with an use that is vetoed to you as long as the frenzy lasts. I can see you making a case for it by using the line you quoted, but I wouldn't count on it.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2009, 09:55:36 PM »
Q33:  Is there an item and/or weapon enhancement (preferably from MIC) that allows a melee type to easily counter / overcome the miss chance from blink?
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!