Author Topic: Looking for DM, players: The Fall of Sharn  (Read 79130 times)

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Re: Looking for DM, players: The Fall of Sharn
« Reply #540 on: May 16, 2009, 06:38:00 AM »
We could each get an Aureon's Spellshard (relatively expensive, sadly - but the cheapest of that type of item I can find) and hide them in a Batman Belt Belt of Hidden Pouches. :D
EDIT: Or we could get just one AS for the both of us to share. Go Chaotic Evil commies!
Split 50/50, the Shard's 3125gp each, so thats fairly affordable as a shared backup. We could just use lead lined masterwork secret pockets(Complete Scoundrel) to hide it though, way cheaper than the Belt. I've got enough Sleight of Hand it make it pretty hard to find and the lead keeps it away from detect spells.

EDIT: On a check, a lead lined max quality secret pocket is either 14(1x4 + 10(lead)) or 44((10(lead)+1)x4)gp, buying two is easily affordable, and if using lower price, I can buy two for every item of clothing.:P
You can too, though if I hide the shard in your clothes, I don't think you can find them. :P
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 07:20:20 AM by veekie »
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #541 on: May 16, 2009, 09:48:39 AM »
Okay then.

If I research a spell (as per DMG page 198) but don't actually write it into my spellbook, would that still count as a spell I know for purposes of Spontaneous Divination and Uncanny Forethought?
Further, that section of the DMG doesn't seem to state that the spell in question has to be from your list, or even arcane. Is it possible to research, say, a Wu Jen or Paladin divination spell for a Wizard (I'm going to expect a no on this one, but asking doesn't hurt)?
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #542 on: May 16, 2009, 09:52:08 AM »
Okay then.

If I research a spell (as per DMG page 198) but don't actually write it into my spellbook, would that still count as a spell I know for purposes of Spontaneous Divination and Uncanny Forethought?
Further, that section of the DMG doesn't seem to state that the spell in question has to be from your list, or even arcane. Is it possible to research, say, a Wu Jen or Paladin divination spell for a Wizard (I'm going to expect a no on this one, but asking doesn't hurt)?
According to the errata it has to be a Wizard spell.

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #543 on: May 16, 2009, 09:54:53 AM »
Okay then.

According to the errata it has to be a Wizard spell.

Confound you, errata!

EDIT: Where do you see this? Looking at the errata for the DMG, I can't find anything to the effect. I can see how you still wouldn't be able to use it with Spontaneous Divination, though.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 10:21:05 AM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #544 on: May 16, 2009, 10:48:45 AM »
You know, the thought of slipping something into your pocket that you can't find really tickled  me for a moment.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #545 on: May 16, 2009, 11:02:46 AM »
You know, the thought of slipping something into your pocket that you can't find really tickled  me for a moment.
That might actually not be a bad idea. If my character doesn't know where it is, he can't tell anyone, even under magical compulsion.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #546 on: May 16, 2009, 11:43:49 AM »
Heh, in a pinch, a spell component pouch shoved up the rectum...that you don't know about.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #547 on: May 16, 2009, 12:10:03 PM »
Heh, in a pinch, a spell component pouch shoved up the rectum...that you don't know about.

"This was your father's spell component pouch.... and now it's your's." [/walken]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #548 on: May 16, 2009, 01:49:55 PM »
Okay then.

You would have to memorize the spell somehow. Be it through one of your own spell slots or through Spell Mastery.

I'll allow you to research spells from other lists, but their levels will be raised to match your casting progression (IE a 4th level Paladin spell would become a 6th level Wizard spell, depending on how powerful the spell is).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #549 on: May 16, 2009, 02:01:16 PM »
Okay then.

You would have to memorize the spell somehow. Be it through one of your own spell slots or through Spell Mastery.

I'll allow you to research spells from other lists, but their levels will be raised to match your casting progression (IE a 4th level Paladin spell would become a 6th level Wizard spell, depending on how powerful the spell is).

Oh oh, can my Psion do it too? There are some broken spells i'd like to be able to research into my class also.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #550 on: May 16, 2009, 02:13:48 PM »
Do note, I'm using the XPH's rules for researching spells/powers (page 90 some odd). In other words, this is costing you GP and XP.
Oh oh, can my Psion do it too? There are some broken spells i'd like to be able to research into my class also.

Careful what you say there. And note that I'll have to give whatever spell it is proper grammar and editing in order for it to be converted into a psionic power (meaning I'll tamper with it before I'll allow it).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #551 on: May 16, 2009, 02:26:34 PM »
Do note, I'm using the XPH's rules for researching spells/powers (page 90 some odd). In other words, this is costing you GP and XP.

Careful what you say there. And note that I'll have to give whatever spell it is proper grammar and editing in order for it to be converted into a psionic power (meaning I'll tamper with it before I'll allow it).

I was thinking Wings of Cover from RoD or so... but mostly my comment was just to disagree with letting people research outside of their class. There are PRCs / Archivist to do that with, or UMD checks.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #552 on: May 16, 2009, 03:11:22 PM »
Okay then.

So, for example, Hunter's Eye, a 2nd-level Ranger spell, would be 4th or 5th level for a Wizard, based on when rangers get it?

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #553 on: May 16, 2009, 03:24:36 PM »
Okay then.

So, for example, Hunter's Eye, a 2nd-level Ranger spell, would be 4th or 5th level for a Wizard, based on when rangers get it?

Just about.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #554 on: May 16, 2009, 03:41:42 PM »
Can I request switching the 5th-level ability of the silverwood outrider with that of the silverwood arcanist? I'd be willing to give up Brute Mount.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #555 on: May 16, 2009, 03:52:26 PM »
What's it going to cost for Wings of Cover & Wings of Flurry from Races of the Dragon, p.119

Edit: How about Cloudkill, or Mindfog, or that Shujenja one that makes people Colossal size?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 04:00:32 PM by Takanaki »

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #556 on: May 16, 2009, 04:21:05 PM »
What's it going to cost for Wings of Cover & Wings of Flurry from Races of the Dragon, p.119

Edit: How about Cloudkill, or Mindfog, or that Shujenja one that makes people Colossal size?

See for yourself.
Independent Research
A psion also can research a power independently, duplicating an existing power or creating an entirely new one. If characters are allowed to develop new powers, use these guidelines to handle the situation.

Any kind of manifester can create a new power. The research involved requires access to a retreat conducive to uninterrupted meditation. Research involves an expenditure of 200 XP per week and takes one week per level of the power. At the end of that time, the character makes a Psicraft check (DC 10 + spell level). If that check succeeds, the character learns the new power if her research produced a viable power. If the check fails, the character must go through the research process again if she wants to keep trying.
Can I request switching the 5th-level ability of the silverwood outrider with that of the silverwood arcanist? I'd be willing to give up Brute Mount.

Give up Brute Mount and Bonded Mount, and it's a fair (well, more so than just Bonded Mount) trade.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #557 on: May 16, 2009, 04:53:01 PM »
I figure I'd leave off spell research until I have something more specific in mind, Recaster will take care of stealing spells raw off lists, even if all I really use it for at this point is to nab some emergency healing.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #558 on: May 16, 2009, 06:55:07 PM »
Am I allowed to make new invocations using equivalent-level spells (using existing invocation/spell examples, such as fell flight being equal to a 3rd level spell [fly], for instance)? Obviously warlocks don't learn new invocations in the same way wizards do, but it would give me more options to choose from at each level I gain new invocations and I could make a few invocations that mesh better with my unique class combination.

If not, that's fine too. :)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #559 on: May 16, 2009, 07:21:45 PM »
Am I allowed to make new invocations using equivalent-level spells (using existing invocation/spell examples, such as fell flight being equal to a 3rd level spell [fly], for instance)? Obviously warlocks don't learn new invocations in the same way wizards do, but it would give me more options to choose from at each level I gain new invocations and I could make a few invocations that mesh better with my unique class combination.

If not, that's fine too. :)

I'm willing to work with you on that. there are precious few invocations as-is.

[spoiler][/spoiler]