Author Topic: Vanilla Warblade-- what are the low-level goodies?  (Read 5804 times)

Bulwer

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Vanilla Warblade-- what are the low-level goodies?
« on: April 27, 2009, 08:11:04 AM »
I'm making my first Warblade, and it's coming along well. I'm starting at 5th level. With my 4th-level stat boost, I have 16s across the physical stats and a 14 Int. Race is Human, but not immutably so. He is armed with a Greatsword, a Warhammer, a Sap, and some Shortspears, all ordinary as I have 500GP only to play with.

I've allocated my skills, and I can switch them around to whatever key skills are best for the disciplines I go into. What are some good low-level feats? Are the staples of Power Attack and Improved Initiative solid here? What about the bonus feat?

My DM has allowed my to delay my second stance until I can get a 3rd-level one. I went with Punishing Stance for my 1st one. Does it count as an Iron Heart Maneuver for prereqs?

For maneuvers, I've got 3 1st-level, 2 2nd-level, and 1 3rd-level, having swapped one from 1st to 2nd. (Right?) Anyway, I'm looking at:
1: Moment of Perfect Mind (DM)
1:
1:
2: Disarming Strike (IH)
(2: Wall of Blades (IH))
2: Mountain Hammer(SD)
3: Iron Heart Surge (IH)

Is Mountain Hammer worth fitting in? What about the others, and the gaps for low-level ones? Things like MoPM and IHS are great, as I won't necessarily be engaging in much serious fighting, but there will certainly by magic to overcome.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 10:46:26 AM by Bulwer »

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
Re: Vanilla Warblade-- what are the low-level goodies?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 08:21:59 AM »
mountain hammer is a hilarious utility device, definitively take it imo  :D
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Bulwer

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 08:32:03 AM »
mountain hammer is a hilarious utility device, definitively take it imo  :D

Which of the other two do you think I should get rid of?

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 08:38:07 AM »
disarming strike then, i guess

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 09:43:39 AM »
Stances do count as maneuvers for prerequisites.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Bulwer

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 09:59:56 AM »
Is a fear build effective? What about out-of-combat tricks like that?

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 10:18:07 AM »
I'd also reccomend Mountain Hammer.  With only 500 gp to play with, it will be hard for you to simply overcome any type of damage reduction.  The 2d6 damage of MH is nice, but ignoring the DR can be critical.

I'm glad to see you have Moment of Perfect Mind on your list.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Bulwer

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 10:45:27 AM »
It's going to be roleplay-heavy, and I'll be meeting a magic-heavy party under some duress, I'd guess. Even if we all get along fine, it's a magic-heavy setting, and I want to be able to tell the casters to bugger off. Hence, MoPM and IHS.

Mountain Hammer it is, then.

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 12:30:28 PM »
Another Gem is Emerald Razor for some power attacking greatness (or even just some smacking of otherwise difficult targets).
Placeholder - T'tosc

Bulwer

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 01:04:33 PM »
What about feats? I've got four; is normal PA worth a slot?

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 01:06:13 PM »
What about feats? I've got four; is normal PA worth a slot?

Why not?

Another Gem is Emerald Razor for some power attacking greatness (or even just some smacking of otherwise difficult targets).

Emerald Razor + PA deals nice damage while keeping a good chance to hit...

Also, grab White Raven Tactics. Your party's mage will love the extra turn...

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 01:20:22 PM »
I was going to suggest that, had Bulwer not already had too many 2nd level maneuvers selected.  It is a nice combo.

Even without, Power Attack is still a useful feat, espescially if combined with other feats to improve it.  Also, IIRC, a warblade can recover maneuvers with a standard action attack, so I think you can still PA with this attack.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Bulwer

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 01:33:44 PM »
I was going to suggest that, had Bulwer not already had too many 2nd level maneuvers selected.  It is a nice combo.

Even without, Power Attack is still a useful feat, espescially if combined with other feats to improve it.  Also, IIRC, a warblade can recover maneuvers with a standard action attack, so I think you can still PA with this attack.

Yeah, PA doesn't affect the types of actions, it just modifies the attack and damage rolls. Works with everything.

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 05:56:02 PM »
I actually re-read the warblade recovery mechanic a few days ago, and It seems to me that you can recover with a swift followed by a full attack as well, due to the funky wording.

Interestingly, every martial adept qualifies for the Martial Stance feat at level 1, even for schools they normally don't have access to, because it's prerequisite is "1 martial maneuver", with no school specified.  My goblin wolf-rider warblade took Martial stance: Island of Blades at level 1, and automatically flanks anyone adjacent to him and his trusty steed.... now I just need to find a campaign to play him in.

I assume you are taking Ironheart Aura as your 5th level bonus feat so you can get Stormguard Warrior later?

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 07:36:03 PM »
I'd take Steel Wind and Steely Strike as your other 1st level maneuvers.  Hitting 2 adjacent opponents is good, as is a +4 to attacks if you're only facing 1 opponent.

Oh, and I'd trade Disarming Strike for Emerald Razor.  Disarm is situationally awesome at best - touch attacks are always awesome.

For feats, Power Attack is gold...and if you're planning on any tactical feats at 6th from Comp. Warr., then either Imp. Sunder or Im. Bull Rush are good. 

I also like Cleave if you're a primary damage dealer - especially in combination with Steel Wind at low levels.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 07:38:28 PM »
Why is White Raven Tactics missing?  That one is awesome!

JaronK

Soda

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 07:59:13 PM »
Mmmm, vanilla warblade is gooood.   :D

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 08:18:26 PM »
Mmmm, vanilla warblade is gooood.   :D
I prefer Chocolate/Vanilla Swirl on my martial adept.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 06:27:28 AM »
shadowsun ninja?

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 09:37:27 AM »
I actually re-read the warblade recovery mechanic a few days ago, and It seems to me that you can recover with a swift followed by a full attack as well, due to the funky wording.
Hmm.. IIRC it says "a swift action followed by an attack or just doing nothing. I guess you might be on to something, although a strict DM will say attack= attack action.
Interestingly, every martial adept qualifies for the Martial Stance feat at level 1, even for schools they normally don't have access to, because it's prerequisite is "1 martial maneuver", with no school specified.  My goblin wolf-rider warblade took Martial stance: Island of Blades at level 1, and automatically flanks anyone adjacent to him and his trusty steed.... now I just need to find a campaign to play him in.
Martial Adepts mostly can't afford to blow feats, but it does seem good if you're dipping, nonetheless.... :) I'm going to have to look at some stances, or think about skipping that second Crusader level that is usually needed to get Thicket on my BC charger.... on the other hand, I don't really have empty feat slots.... Just thinking aloud here.