Author Topic: Starcraft 3.5  (Read 29505 times)

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Re: Starcraft 3.5
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2009, 05:36:30 AM »
Or just a racial ability that grants temporary HP--say, Vigor with a ML equal to your character level, usable once per day?
Actually, I like this too. The main difference with using the Resilience is that I believe the latter allows allows you to manifest in melee unimpeded, as the damage was prevented.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Radmelon

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2009, 11:05:11 PM »
Or just a racial ability that grants temporary HP--say, Vigor with a ML equal to your character level, usable once per day?
Actually, I like this too. The main difference with using the Resilience is that I believe the latter allows allows you to manifest in melee unimpeded, as the damage was prevented.

What is this Vigor of which you speak?

Ps. I know veeeery little about psionic stuff, as I do not have the book.

Radmelon

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2009, 11:15:04 PM »
Good, but it is more than just a psipower/sla, and I need a custom mechanic that I can just sling onto all of the protoss tech other than "Vigor at will"

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2009, 06:51:47 AM »
Improved Toughness as a bonus feat?
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Radmelon

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2009, 09:47:38 PM »
That makes some sense, but I think that having based on CHA or WIS reinforces it's link to a mental shield, besides, I still want it to be fairly potent.

Skip Sandwich

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2009, 10:02:06 PM »
how about it being equal to WIS mod * HD and has the equivliant of regeneration X or somesuch?

Radmelon

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2009, 10:32:11 PM »
I said the same except for CHA, but that works just as well.

Kudos to you. :D

BTW, what does this mean?
Ring-Tailed Lemur

Gameology-fu 1

<Edit> Will have basic rebalance up by monday
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 02:00:50 AM by Radmelon »

Radmelon

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2009, 11:32:18 PM »
Protoss

En Taro Adun!

Description: In stark contrast to the adaptive Terrans and feral Zerg are the stolid, conservative Protoss. With their highly advanced technology and potent psionic abilities, the Protoss have long considered themselves the most powerful species in the known galaxy. Although they are not a prolific people, they have learned to bolster the ranks of their military with robotic war machines and to combine their intrinsic psionic ability with technology, thus producing some of the most effective warriors ever known. If the Protoss have a weakness, though, it is their refusal to accept change. The tenets of their major religion, known as the Khala, form a rigid path and the Protoss are loathe to deviate from it for fear of once again falling into civil strife.
   Although the Protoss were originally divided into several warring tribes, they were united by a single scholar/philosopher known as Khas, or "he who brings order". Having studied the archaic, forbidden teachings of his ancestors, this mystic unearthed ancient, monolithic artifacts known as the Khaydarin Crystals. The power contained within these crystals -- along with his teachings -- are apparently responsible for the strengthening of the primordial, psychic link that all Protoss share. Khas also developed a strict religious, philosophical, and social structure christened the Khala. Under the Khala -- which translates roughly to Path of Ascension -- the Protoss have abandoned the crude tribal factions that led them into generations of vicious blood feuds and have instead created three castes: The Khalai (artisans and inventors), The Templar, (warriors and explorers) and The Judicator (administrators and leaders).
   Terran dealings with the Protoss have been limited, restricting our knowledge of their language, abilities and equipment. What we do know is that they possess extremely advanced technology, including warp-gate manipulation, energy shield generation and the ability to power their buildings and units with a Psionic Matrix. It is only recently that significant progress has been made in learning more of their secretive society and science, and this has come at the cost of hundreds of Terran lives.

PROTOSS RACIAL TRAITS STARTING AGE
 Adulthood: 70 years.
 Barbarian, Rogue, Sorcerer: +3d8
 Bard, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger: +4d8
 Cleric, Druid, Monk, Wizard: +5d8

AGING EFFECTS
 Middle Age: 200
 Old: 300
 Venerable: 500
 Maximum Age: +3d% years.

HEIGHT AND WEIGHT PROTOSS CHARACTERS
 The Protoss make a good combat-oriented psionic character.
 Adventuring Race: Protoss go on adventures for many reasons, be it introspection, curiosity, or the old standard of being an outcast.
 Character Development: Protoss make excellent psychic warriors, being that they have good ability scores, plasma shields, and personal philosophy.
 Character Names: Male: Artanis, Fenix, Tassadar, Asthaross, Zeratul. Female: Raszagal, Nasthrasal, Thixtra.

ROLEPLAYING A PROTOSS PROTOSS SOCIETY
 See above.
 Alignment : Protoss are instinctively lawful, with many being good as well. Evil protoss are virtually unknown, most of them being mad.
 Lands : Protoss come from Aiur, but can survive almost anywhere.
 Beliefs: Most protoss are faithful to the Khala, which is their name for the general mass telepathy/mind meld.
 Relations: The protoss tend to be secular and conservative around other races, but if an individual or group manage to maintain a good relations with them, then they will fight to the last man to defend their allies.

PROTOSS ADVENTURES
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 06:58:27 PM by Radmelon »

Radmelon

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2009, 05:43:04 PM »
Do we have a reply from the audiance?

... Do we have an audiance?  :(

Radmelon

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2009, 10:16:56 PM »
will update when people give two shits.  :sorry

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2009, 10:37:28 PM »
So the Protoss are immune to ingested poisons...

What do these things look like?

Radmelon

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2009, 01:47:11 AM »

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2009, 01:51:13 AM »
LA seems okies.  I wonder if they shouldn't be aberration or monstrous humanoid though.

dither

• Hong Kong
  • Breaking the ninth wall
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2009, 07:00:03 PM »
I played Starcraft and I never really pictured the Protoss as really being all that much smarter or wiser than humans. Just bigger and stronger, mostly. When I design something for D&D, I try to stick to the concept that "less is more." I think I'd basically start with a half-giant to design the Protoss, since their primary advantages were that they were weird, and they were stronger than humans (oh, and they had psionics). I'd probably create a racial feat that allowed Protoss to get multiple attacks with their psi-blades as if they were a manufactured weapon.

edit: I might ignore the whole "no mouth" thing as it complicates matters in your average roleplaying game. I really can't justify giving the basic Protoss the ability to communicate telepathically across the vast distances they're shown to do so in Starcraft. That's just too rule of cool for a playable race. Well, I might give them telepathy out to 30 ft. Maybe.

Also, I'd probably make a "Protoss 1st-level psychic warrior" (CR 2) as the "average encounter" with a Protoss.

Protoss (base creature)
Medium Monstrous Humanoid (Psionic)
HD 2d8+2 (11 hp)
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
Init -1
AC 15; touch 9; flat-footed 15; DR 2/-- (via biofeedback)
(-1 DEX, +2 natural, +4 armor via inertial armor)
BAB +2; Grp +7
Attack Psi-blades +3 (1d8+1/×2 plus 2d6 for psionic weapon)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Psi-blades, psionic powers
Special Qualities Darkvision 60 ft., naturally psionic (+2)
Saves Fort +1, Ref +2 Will +3
Abilities Str 13, Dex 9, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 10
Skills Autohypnosis +5, Concentration +6
Feats Psionic weapon
Environment Cold space
Challenge Rating 1
Advancement by character class; Favored Class psychic warrior
Alignment Usually Lawful
Level Adjustment +1

Natural Weapon (psi-blades): A protoss can make one attack with his psi-blades each round, either with his primary hand or with his off-hand (taking the normal penalties for fighting with an off-hand weapon). This attack deals 1d8 points of piercing damage; if it is used as an off-hand weapon, the protoss may add only one-half his Strength bonus to the damage roll. A protoss can’t attack with his psi-blades and a weapon wielded by the same arm in the same round. If a protoss makes a spine attack with an arm carrying a shield, he loses the shield’s bonus to AC until the start of his next turn.

Powerful Build: The physical stature of protoss lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever a protoss is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the protoss is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to her.
A protoss is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect her. A protoss can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, her space and reach remain those of a creature of her actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.

Psionic Powers: Protoss manifest psionic powers as a 2nd-level psychic warrior. If the character takes additional levels of psychic warrior, these levels stack with the protoss's base manifesting ability for powers known, power points per day, and other effects dependent on manifestor level.

Typical Powers Known (2 powers known; 2+1 power points per day; save DC 10 + power level)
1st-biofeedback, inertial armor
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 07:08:31 PM by dither »
"Stuck between a rogue and a bard place."

vanity
Read my webcomic!
Dither's Amazing Changing Avatars

[spoiler]
Quote from: Shadowhunter
Quote from: Flay Crimsonwind
"Vegeta! What does the scouter say about Dither's power level?"
It's over nine thousand!

Quote from: Bauglir
Quote from: Anklebite
Quote from: dither
Well blow me down! :P
A SECTION OF THE CAVERN HAS COLLAPSED!
dither, Miner, has died after colliding with an obstacle!
[/spoiler]

Radmelon

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2009, 09:57:28 PM »
no comment...

<sulk>

...it works, kind of, but a lot of it makes little sense, for example: Psiblades as natural weapons?

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2009, 10:44:10 AM »
Here's the Race Template you were looking for.

RACE NAME

Quote of Some Kind by a member of the r   ace!

A general description of whatever the race is!

RACE RACIAL TRAITS STARTING AGE
 Adulthood:
 Barbarian, Rogue, Sorcerer:
 Bard, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger:
 Cleric, Druid, Monk, Wizard:

AGING EFFECTS
 Middle Age:
 Old:
 Venerable:
 Maximum Age:
 If there are any aging effects that differ from norm list them here.

HEIGHT AND WEIGHT
 Base Height: Male:  Female:
 Height Modifier:
 Base Weight: Male:    Female:
 Weight Modifier:

RACE CHARACTERS
 Quick generalization of what this race is good for as far as characters go..
 Adventuring Race: Why members of this class go on adventures.
 Character Development: Give suggestions for making a character with this race.
 Character Names: Give examples of names by gender or other arrangement.

ROLEPLAYING A RACE
 Quick generalization about playing a member of this race.
 Personality: Give general stereotype of the personality of a member of this race and some roleplaying applications.
 Behaviors: Typical behaviors for a member of this race..
 Language:Notes on this races language..

RACE SOCIETY
 Description of this races society, culture, and civilization.
 Alignment : What alignment is common to members of this race and why.
 Lands : Where do they normally live.
 Settlements : Where do they normally live when not in their homelands.
 Beliefs :Typical religious beliefs.
 Relations: How do they relate to other races.

RACE ADVENTURES

dither

• Hong Kong
  • Breaking the ninth wall
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2009, 12:17:04 PM »
...it works, kind of, but a lot of it makes little sense, for example: Psiblades as natural weapons?

Aren't they? I don't know, I never read any of the books or anything. I just assumed that all the Protoss had them?

Anyway, this was kinda modeled on the half-giant race (Expanded Psionics Handbook) and the Skarn race (Magic of Incarnum), for reference. I thought about having them based on the soulnkife's mindblade, but I wasn't sure how much that made sense.

<leaves>
"Stuck between a rogue and a bard place."

vanity
Read my webcomic!
Dither's Amazing Changing Avatars

[spoiler]
Quote from: Shadowhunter
Quote from: Flay Crimsonwind
"Vegeta! What does the scouter say about Dither's power level?"
It's over nine thousand!

Quote from: Bauglir
Quote from: Anklebite
Quote from: dither
Well blow me down! :P
A SECTION OF THE CAVERN HAS COLLAPSED!
dither, Miner, has died after colliding with an obstacle!
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2009, 03:20:16 PM »

Aren't they? I don't know, I never read any of the books or anything. I just assumed that all the Protoss had them?

Anyway, this was kinda modeled on the half-giant race (Expanded Psionics Handbook) and the Skarn race (Magic of Incarnum), for reference. I thought about having them based on the soulnkife's mindblade, but I wasn't sure how much that made sense.

<leaves>
As I under stand it, it's more like a focus device for their psychic powers that create laser swords. Apparently every Protoss should be able to use one without much trouble, but other than the foot soldiers they tend to be ceremonial.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Radmelon

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2009, 01:05:56 AM »
Here's the Race Template you were looking for.

Thank you! now to do it right! :thumb