Author Topic: Designing a Wizard for Castle Whiterock (published setting)  (Read 1439 times)

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
Designing a Wizard for Castle Whiterock (published setting)
« on: April 22, 2009, 12:03:16 PM »
Once I'm through with running my current campaign as DM, one of my players wants to take our group through his newest pet published campaign, Castle Whiterock. He's extremely strict on the playable content, and more than likely will want us to stick exclusively to the core ruleset (PHB and DMG). If there happens to be any exclusive fluff for the setting, he'll let us use that, too. I don't have any of that fluff on-hand, but if anybody else does and knows something useful, please post it here.

A few things to note: summoning and calling spells will be highly supressed. The dungeon has a mechanic that prevents summoned monsters with an alignment subtype from helping the party. It works thusly:

Any outsider with an alignment subtype (Chaotic, Evil, Good, or Lawful) affected, created, or called by a calling, summoning, or teleportation spell or effect within a few miles of Castle Whiterock is redirected to the Demonhold. Once there, the outsider is trapped and cannot leave by magical means, even if the spell or effect that conjured or called them in the first place expires.

Therefore, it appears conjuration's usefulness will be limited compared to your usual campaign. In light of this fact, I'm considering 2 options: transmuter or diviner. But which to choose? I know transmutation is the grand-daddy of powerful magic, but something tells me that being able to know what's in store for the party before we get there will be incredibly useful in this dungeon. I may be wrong about that, so if anybody else is more knowledgeable on the matter, please let me know. Sure, I can always just take transmuter and memorize some divinations, but maybe there's something I'm missing so I didn't want to assume anything.

I will, more than likely, be a human since I'm limited to the PHB races. If my DM allows any additional books beyond the PHB and DMG, I'll be sure to update this thread. I have a very, very long time to get my plan ready, and I'm going to use it.  :devil
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

Fugazi

• Monkey bussiness
Re: Designing a Wizard for Castle Whiterock (published setting)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 12:26:52 PM »
Transmutation can be great, depending on the group composition. Spells such as haste and slow are encounter-killers. If you have a lot of big stupid brutes about, I'd definitely go for transmutation. Also, by reading your bit on conjuration I still don't get the feeling that conjuration is nerfed to the point where it's useless. Grease, glitterdust, stinking cloud and all the other cloud spells are still there and you can still summon elementals - right? I wouldn't throw that option out of the window yet :)

If you could us more about the starting level and the other players, that would be great.

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
Re: Designing a Wizard for Castle Whiterock (published setting)
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 12:32:45 PM »
Transmutation can be great, depending on the group composition. Spells such as haste and slow are encounter-killers. If you have a lot of big stupid brutes about, I'd definitely go for transmutation. Also, by reading your bit on conjuration I still don't get the feeling that conjuration is nerfed to the point where it's useless. Grease, glitterdust, stinking cloud and all the other cloud spells are still there and you can still summon elementals - right? I wouldn't throw that option out of the window yet :)

If you could us more about the starting level and the other players, that would be great.
I know it wasn't completely nerfed into oblivion, but it's options have been limited. I'm a big fan of options. I know the BC spells can be great.

Sorry about the lack of info, here's the skinny:
- Start at level 1
- Likely four characters, 1 BSF of some fashion, 1 healer, 1 trap-monkey. The other guys don't have their characters fleshed out yet but this is the standard M-O for this gaming group.
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]