Author Topic: Name an Awesome Book  (Read 9085 times)

Fizzlemeyer

• Monkey bussiness
Re: Name an Awesome Book
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2009, 06:33:11 PM »
Several things leap to mind here;

The first being the Mortal Engines Series by Phillip Reeve.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortal_Engines_Quartet The series involves enormous cities roving about the blasted wasteland of Europe physically consuming other cities.
Also two words:  Municipal Darwinism. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Municipal_Darwinism

Anima Beyond Fantasy, which I own and believe to be a beautifully illustrated book, filled with interesting races, cultures, character classes, and a fascinating twist on the idea of an ongoing war between good, evil, light, and shadow.  Also one of the most interesting things from the book was that you could individually level different skills, with your character class determining what percentage of your experience points your could spend on certain aspects of your character.  EG: a mage could only spend about 30% of her experience points on melee skills, while a warrior could spend up to 70%.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anima_Beyond_Fantasy

And naturally Scion and Exalted, Truly bad ass settings both, and in quite desperate need of streamlining / revamping if not necessarily a full overhaul or system reboot.

Hida Reju

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2009, 05:08:48 AM »
Old Pre D&D Wizards of the Coast book series called the Primal Order. Basicly how to make gods witht he capital G again. It gave a system that adapted itself to almost any other game that allowed you to put gods in their own power bracket and be untouchable by normal mortals.

Also gave info on building religons handling clerics and paladins. Basicly to me it was GOD: the RPG.

Necrosnoop110

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2010, 04:39:52 PM »
My old AD&D Dungeon Masters Guide (1E) because of all the charts, tables, appendices, and wordings.

Another vote for D&D Heroes of Horror (3.5E) it contains wonderful plot hooks, story seeds, setting and adventure ideas; in fact the whole book is crammed with them.

D&D Lords of Madness (3.5E) offers rich flavor and tons of background information on one of the toughest races to roleplay well, aberrations.  

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2011, 12:58:44 AM »
I second the good old AD&D Core books, just because you can oftentimes just feel Gary Gygax's excitement, back at the forerunner of the system...

Plus, just reading through the oftentimes cruel magic items is a treat in and of itself.

As for flavor, Dwarf Fortress is nice, though that is a computer game.

However, for shear world building, and something to take notes from, may I recommend the Malazan Book of the Fallen? Looooong series of doorstoppers, where the line between mortals and gods is just plain frayed. I mean, when there is a character whose nickname is The Emperor of a Thousand Deaths, and one character comments that they're exaggerating, it's only been a hundred or so...

Also, it's just plain great to grab ideas for religion from.

Also, Redwall, for the nostalgia and fun it brings me. I've always thought it should be adapted into an RPG; the closest thing flavorwise would have to be Mouseguard, though.

Also, I like looking at Risus, just for the clarifying simplicity and the reminder that rules aren't important next to having an awesome and fun story/game. Perspective, really.

But I have deep, abiding love for our good old friend Tome of Magic, especially the Binder section, which has absolutely awesome flavor, and just ends up generating a ton of ideas.

Also, Die unendliche Geschichte, for our German readers  :D.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Pimpforged

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2011, 10:40:41 AM »
I'm fond of The Black Company Campaign Setting by Green Ronin
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 10:21:19 AM by Pimpforged »

Avehn

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2011, 01:48:07 AM »
Nobilis - I had trouble with the game itself, it was too, vague and open, I guess, there weren't enough rules and I never knew what I was supposed to be doing, but I've gone back to that book over and over for the heraldry creation stuff and for making deities to incorporate into other settings or even novels.

Jrussell82

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2011, 08:41:36 PM »
All the books I've seen for Scion by White Wolf have been fantastic in terms of the balance between fluff and crunch.  The fact that the idea that your character eventually does become a literal god with consummate powers of "I do XYZ" and how it gets represented mechanically are fantastic.

heroicraptor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2011, 06:36:32 AM »
The Warhammer Fantasy books are bursting with flavored fluff.