Author Topic: Need Help Pulling Punches  (Read 12288 times)

streakster

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
Re: Need Help Pulling Punches
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2009, 09:47:01 PM »
Personally, I'd go with a high-power build, then just pull punches while playing. Just don't kill them instantly - take your time.

If you go with a defensive build, then it would seem a bit like cherry tapping. At least it would to me.

Also, the chicken army is hilarious. Any way to add in a Fell Animate metamagic'd spell to make it an army of zombie chickens?

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2009, 10:54:08 PM »
Better yet how about exploding zombie chickens

tsuyoshikentsu

• Bi-Curious George
    • For My Mother: An Internet Serial
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2009, 11:16:00 PM »
Um.... will anyone DM? Will it be anything goes?

Yes and yes.  Russ is the DM, but he plays by the rules.

In any event, I suggest ditching the whole thing and playing strip poker instead.

Strip poker with Sam would be an enjoyable evening.  Strip poker with Russ, Robert, Zafar, Mike, Ian, and Peter would quickly turn from strip poker into Let's Pretend We're Oedipus Once The Reveal Happens.
Anyway, this cake is great!  It's so delicious and moist.

Stalk me on Twitter!  Validate my existence!  Maybe Even Get An Optimization Tip!

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2009, 11:21:23 PM »
Try pulling it off with a Fighter :D.  Not as cool as chicken-fu, but way more impressive (to me, anyways).

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2009, 12:43:12 AM »
deja vu
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

mans0011

• Curious George
  • Too much Aizen Hate to go around....
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2009, 01:29:52 AM »
I think the concerns over Iot7V's perceived weakness is ridiculous. First of all, you have double warding. You don't have to go Violet/Violet. You can do Violet/Red if need be or whatever other color will be helpful. And if that's still weakness... you're still a full caster. It's not like you're without tricks. Wizard 5/Incantatrix 10/Initiate of the Seven-fold Veil 7 and then Swiftblade 8 would be kinda awesome, I think. You don't really lose much with the Swiftblade (though I don't know much about epic rules) and you get all the tastiness of 50% miss chances on spells and attacks and extra actions. If I were going to be level 30 and in your shoes, I would definitely cram these three cheeses together to make something delicious.
OOC-well for that matter he could just ride on my sword, that's about 15' ;)
OOC - That's what SHE said!  But, otherwise, that works for me, if you guys are willing.

bitznarf

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2009, 02:35:57 AM »
If you don't go the TO route, to be able to take on 5 to 1 odds, you need to take away their action advantage over you.  You need to divide and conquer.  I personally haven't seen enough high level play to give any new ideas, but I think that if you can figure out how to do that in the face of at least 2 high level casters, you've got a shot of still winning without going into the realm of TO.

What sort of prep time is involved?  Arena match?  Random encounter?  Etc.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 02:37:30 AM by bitznarf »

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2009, 03:31:34 AM »
LA buyoff, yea or nay?

Because the party doesn't seem to have access to turn/rebuke undead.  And every day I grow to love the ghost savage progression a little more.  Especially when you can buy it all off before level 18.

Now that you're a ghost, congratulations.  You have to fail a DC 15 level check to die permanently.  You have a level 30 (or possibly 29) character.  You win.

Combine with unseelie fey, and cha to everything, to taste.  Yeah, I'm basically pimping my ultra hero force build, but whatever.  Ghost template rocks, not going to lie.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2009, 05:45:48 AM »
Hmmm...
Phrenic or Half-fey human Dreadnecro8/Rainbow Servant10/Bard1/SublimeChord1/Incant10 with Magic in the Blood, possibly not in that order.

And now you can SCALE the level of cheese very easily. First occupy them with minions (20th level Corpse or Bone Creature minions, some Dragon zombies. I like to use some Lvl 20 builds I always wanted to make as minions :).You can use spawns created with shapechange for the Dragon zombies so they won't appear on your HD limit.).
Then you can try raising the bar a bit, if you like and use your host of Undead spellcasters for neat free Epic Spells via contributed spell slots. I would only use self-buffs, they will never see those, but they WILL see the 100+ AC via Sirine's Grace, for instance.

So really, necromancers are great for fights vs. groups of people, because noone said you had to fight yourself. Minions will suck too much to give a killing blow, but they can feel them out for strengths and weaknesses and alleviate their action advantage.

tsuyoshikentsu

• Bi-Curious George
    • For My Mother: An Internet Serial
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2009, 07:37:58 AM »
So here's what happened.  I was talking with Russ about possible builds earlier.  (His expression was HILARIOUS,  btw.)  Later, I saw him and a couple of members of the group.  They've decided that I should probably just come in as a boss on his next campaign, which won't be Epic and will therefore be easier to provide a challenging but not lethal fight.

I consider this a win.
Anyway, this cake is great!  It's so delicious and moist.

Stalk me on Twitter!  Validate my existence!  Maybe Even Get An Optimization Tip!

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2009, 07:45:05 AM »
Congrats :)

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Silent Wayfarer

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2009, 07:47:40 AM »
It isn't a win till you get that date with Sam.

Remember, Charm Person is your friend, though you might need Remove Curse if she ends up being one of those crazy hotties. ;p

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2009, 11:22:21 AM »
Congrats you have just abused the 4e intimidate rules without even playing the game. :lmao
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2009, 11:23:42 AM »
It isn't a win till you get that date with Sam.

QFT

I suggest that you roleplay the [insert expletive here] out of your BBEG character. Make him as eccentric as possible, fully decked out with high charisma and intelligence, a couple fistfuls of glittering rings, and a *really* big hat, with a succubus cohort.

I don't know why, but my girlfriend *loves* succubi, and she doesn't play DnD.

Then again, what do I know? Sam may be quite different than her. Play to her tastes and make sure to ROLEPLAY and not just rollplay. You said Sam plays for the story. Well, give her some real story fluff and put on your acting cap.
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2009, 11:35:24 AM »
since you won the encouter, who is sam and where are the pics?
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2009, 11:38:54 AM »
Yeah, figured someone would ask that sooner or later :P

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

mans0011

• Curious George
  • Too much Aizen Hate to go around....
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2009, 11:44:28 AM »
What builds did you tell Russ about?
OOC-well for that matter he could just ride on my sword, that's about 15' ;)
OOC - That's what SHE said!  But, otherwise, that works for me, if you guys are willing.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2009, 02:29:51 PM »
Ok, so here's what you do.
1) use a build that can shut down opposing actions
2) when the boss battle comes up, state with an air of challenging smugness that you'll buy dinner for whoever gets the killing blow on your BBEG
3) shut down everyone's PCs except for Sam (just don't be too obvious about it)
4) when she finally kills you, humbly admit your defeat, then look her in the eye, smile, and say "so... pick you up at seven?"

contingency
5) if she balks or if someone else got the killing blow, save face and offer to take everyone out for pizza
6) buy Sam an ice cream/cheesecake/dessert instead

It would be hilarious if it were Randalthor
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2009, 02:30:39 PM »
Ok, so here's what you do.
1) use a build that can shut down opposing actions
2) when the boss battle comes up, state with an air of challenging smugness that you'll buy dinner for whoever gets the killing blow on your BBEG
3) shut down everyone's PCs except for Sam (just don't be too obvious about it)
4) when she finally kills you, humbly admit your defeat, then look her in the eye, smile, and say "so... pick you up at seven?"

contingency
5) if she balks or if someone else got the killing blow, save face and offer to take everyone out for pizza
6) buy Sam an ice cream/cheesecake/dessert instead

It would be hilarious if it were Randalthor
:lmao

Tleilaxu_Ghola

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Wanted for consipracy to kill Pun-Pun
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2009, 05:34:23 PM »
I'm surprised people still remember that build.  But anyways, that build is really screwed by divert teleport, assuming you're talking about the precision attacking Chrono-Legionnaire build me and RT made that used distance as its primary defense.  It's also got issues with attacks that have range long.

That said, my suggestion regarding a stealth build might not be very fun to fight -- nor would any number of TO nova builds.  More annoying than anything else, actually -- and I presume the point is to have fun.  As a boss, the Chrono-Legionnaire would be a damn fun encounter (and far more solvable).  To make it even more interesting (assuming you have the requisite levels available) would be to combine the encounter with Clairvoyant Sense and Burrowing power for LoS abusing lol-tacular environmental pwnage.  Clairvoyant sense or some other similar psionic power allows one to scout out auras, which would permit this boss to time its attack with the loss of a divert teleport aura; ensuring that at least one harrying attack would prove successful.