Author Topic: The Crusader's Handbook  (Read 61883 times)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Re: The Crusader's Handbook
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2010, 12:08:23 PM »
Faith Unswerving, particularly the Take One For the Team ability, seems to run counter to the whole idea that a Crusader can afford, even benefit from, a low AC.  It seems to me you'd almost need to build your Crusader with this feat and its prerequisite in mind, rather than building as you normally would for a Crusader.  Thoughts?

Yeah, most of the tactical feats are subpar. THe Shadow Hand, Iron Heart, and Stone Dragon ones have the most useful abilities.

The Devs just don't know how to make good Tactical feats.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

BenTheJester

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2010, 12:21:28 PM »
The oft-forgotten Hellbred race is quite good for Crusaders (Choose between +2con/-2int and 2 devil-touched feats1 or +2cha/-2con and darkvision who works in magical darkness at later levels), and fits very well thematically.

1 Nice options include: Darkvision+temporary Blindsight, a small increase in max HP+temporary fast healing and an ability to daze an opponent(although the save is cha-based)

Jopustopin

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2011, 06:04:55 AM »
From Tome of Battle:
"If at the end of your turn, you cannot be granted a maneuver because you have no withheld maneuvers remaining, you recover all expanded maneuvers, and a new pair of readied maneuvers is granted to you.  Randomly determine which of your maneuvers are granted and which are withheld.  At the end of your next turn, a withheld maneuver is granted to you, and the whole process of divine inspiration begins again.

You begin an encounter with an additional granted maneuver at 10th level (bringing your total to three), and again at 20th level (bringing your total to four)."

Assuming pair always means 2.  Never does it say you gain more than a "new pair" (Except under the feat Extra Granted Maneuver).

Now read the feat Extra Granted Maneuver.  Now finally read Maneuvers Readied from page 96.

Am I mistaken when I say that a 20th level crusader is granted 4 maneuvers at the beginning of battle then when he recovers all of them he is only dealt a pair that he can use?

« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 12:08:25 AM by Jopustopin »

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2011, 02:12:28 AM »
That is a valid reading, but it is a huge nerf to a class that doesn't need nerfing.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Jopustopin

« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2011, 03:41:43 AM »
That is a valid reading, but it is a huge nerf to a class that doesn't need nerfing.

I've always thought that all the descriptions (for the base classes) in the tome of battle were intended to explain how things were at 1st level.  Lines like, "You begin play with a 1st level stance..." doesn't make much sense if you take your first level of warblade at level 12.  You are hardly "beginning play" at that point. I don't want to nerf the crusader (Shit I'm playing one!) I just think this is another instance where they are describing what it's like at 1st level without thinking about anything else.  I would just find it curious if this is how the class was intended.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2011, 07:43:51 PM »

I've always thought that all the descriptions (for the base classes) in the tome of battle were intended to explain how things were at 1st level.  Lines like, "You begin play with a 1st level stance..." doesn't make much sense if you take your first level of warblade at level 12.  You are hardly "beginning play" at that point. I don't want to nerf the crusader (Shit I'm playing one!) I just think this is another instance where they are describing what it's like at 1st level without thinking about anything else.  I would just find it curious if this is how the class was intended.

IIRC, someone on the design team intended for maneuvers to be usable only once per encounter, so you couldn't refresh them within the same encounter.
So, I'll remain wilfully ignorant of "intention" as far as ToB goes.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2011, 07:46:24 PM »
Updated the Magic Item section. Still missing Armor, Shields, and Weaponry, but the Clothing section is more-or-less finished.

Please suggest more magic items.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Grim

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2011, 05:22:48 PM »
Hey, big fan of the guide and I'm happy to see you're still working on it.

A few items for your consideration:
Retributive Amulet (BoED, 116) I believe this was nerfed somewhere though
Mechanus Armor (PlanHb)
Tooth of Savnok (ToM, 79) Move at your full land speed in heavy armor
Tabard of Valor (CC, 142) Improved Mettle is kind of badass even with a pretty heavy drawback

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2011, 12:44:33 AM »
I have started on the Maneuvers and Stances section. Currently at 3rd level maneuvers.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Jopustopin

« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2011, 12:59:11 AM »
Rock on

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2011, 11:08:16 PM »
Maneuvers and stances are finally done. Now I need to work on sample builds.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Harye

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2011, 07:27:54 PM »
Awesome handbook, looking forward to those sample builds!

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2011, 05:44:02 AM »
Are you going to come back and finish this? I was wondering if there were links to those builds? I vaguely rember Captain Americas build. pretty cool stuff.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2011, 03:06:43 PM »
Are you going to come back and finish this? I was wondering if there were links to those builds? I vaguely rember Captain Americas build. pretty cool stuff.

Yes, I am. I just need to set aside some time to work on them (I can finish two or three builds in a day fairly easily, but those builds won't have magic item lists).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2011, 06:37:51 PM »
Awesome Awesome, I know how it is. . . I have a stack of incomplete projects put off because of other stuff myself, its funny at first I didn't like the crusader, but I've learned to love it.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"