Author Topic: Warforged Crusader help [scratch this idea starting new one]  (Read 3762 times)

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Warforged Crusader help [scratch this idea starting new one]
« on: April 20, 2009, 02:28:22 PM »
Ok one of my friends is starting an Ebberon game and i want to try a warforged.  He is very heavy on melee, from previous games, so i figured i would tank it since the rest of the group doesn't optimize at all. Plus i thought crusader was a great fit for warforged as they do get full healing from that.

I was thinking about going TWF and Lightning mace but that seems too feat intensive to keep up with.  I'm sure my primary source of healing will be maneuvers so i need to keep up lots of attacks so my stance can heal me during the fights.  While i have played crusaders before i've never played a warforged so i'm not sure about the interaction there. Plus the lack of the human feat makes it harder to make such a feat intensive build.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to make this guy really hard to kill and still be able to put out respectable damage. Right now i think it will just be core, completes, and Ebberon books with some exceptions for specific things outside of that.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 03:11:32 PM by archangel.arcanis »
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

gagnrath

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: Warforged Crusader help
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 02:46:04 PM »
A quick question, does your GM throw stuff at you fast and often or do you have a fair ammount of down time between encounters, It makes a difference if there isn't alot of healing to go around.  Regeneration is sorta pointless in my opinion in battle but outside of battle, if you've got 5 to 10 minutes of in game time between encounters it is a cheap solution to having limited healing.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 02:54:07 PM »
normally outside of a dungeon or such there is enough time that regeneration would work to fully heal someone.  I'm also trying to not destroy his game like i did in his last one with a high damage Swordsage that hired someone to polymorph into a valkyree, ToB style not Dieties and Demigods. So i need to be tough enough to not die no matter what he throws at us and still have a fair chance at dealing enough damage to kill it if the rest of the party sticks their heads up their asses, not an uncommon occurrence.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

streakster

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 03:46:24 PM »
Would the MIC be allowed at all? Because armor crystals would be a great boon to you. Cheap, too.

My favorite "never-die-ever" Crusader I've built used a Vampiric Wrathful-Healing spear, plus a crystal of life drinking, a belt of healing and healing armor. He also had the feral template. Fun.

Back OT, though, you might try a reach weapon plus armor spikes. Good battlefield control possibilities - good for keeping stupid allies safe.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 04:08:47 PM »
MIC i'm pretty sure is in since he owns it, but we have never used the crystals before just the extra enchantments provided.

As a warforged i can't wear armor but do have the advantage of a slam attack that could be used.  My last crusader was a human spiked chain tripper so i know exactly how devastating they can be.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 04:13:04 PM »
Adamantine Body to get your body plating enhanced ;)
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 04:14:34 PM »
For a weapon, I'd recommend a reach weapon+armor spikes set or spiked chain. You don't necessarily need to go the tripping route with it, but as far as protecting your allies goes, reach+Stand Still (XPH, if you can get it allowed) works fairly well.
You'll want Adamantine Body for your first level feat, seeing as it's practically free full plate and any DR essentially counts double on a crusader thanks to their delayed damage pool.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

streakster

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 07:16:41 PM »
Wait, what? You can't put armor crystals on a Warforged by RAW? I thought you could. Oh well, sorry.

I second the reach+armor spikes idea. Good battlefield control will help out a lot.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 07:24:54 PM »
Wait, what? You can't put armor crystals on a Warforged by RAW? I thought you could. Oh well, sorry.

I second the reach+armor spikes idea. Good battlefield control will help out a lot.

technically probably not since it isn't classified as armor, but i'm sure he would let it fly.
I'll probably end up going with a glaive or gurarme for reach and damage. then use slams if they decide to get close. I was just wanting to try TWF initially to maximize healing capabilities and do something a little different.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 07:29:40 PM »

technically probably not since it isn't classified as armor, but i'm sure he would let it fly.
I'll probably end up going with a glaive or gurarme for reach and damage. then use slams if they decide to get close. I was just wanting to try TWF initially to maximize healing capabilities and do something a little different.
Will your DM let you use the slam attack for AoOs? That's mostly what the armor spikes are for, since you can just tackle someone while holding a two-handed weapon. I guess Slam could be used too, since it's a free action to remove one hand from a 2H weapon. Talk to your DM, I guess.

Though I doubt it'll come up much, fun thing to note: With a glaive, armor spikes, and their slam, a warforged has a weapon for every type of weapon damage (Slashing, Piercing, Bludgeoning).
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 07:35:51 PM »
Will your DM let you use the slam attack for AoOs? That's mostly what the armor spikes are for, since you can just tackle someone while holding a two-handed weapon. I guess Slam could be used too, since it's a free action to remove one hand from a 2H weapon. Talk to your DM, I guess.

Though I doubt it'll come up much, fun thing to note: With a glaive, armor spikes, and their slam, a warforged has a weapon for every type of weapon damage (Slashing, Piercing, Bludgeoning).

Slams can be made with any appendage of your body. Arms, legs, even your head or tail (if you have one). A Bite attack (Jaws of Death) also works wonderfully.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 07:25:14 AM »
@ Healing:
How about multiclassing?
Cursader/Sorcerer could be used to enter Jade Phoenix Mage(add a few Desert Wind Maneuvers to your Maneuver Selection) and would allow to pick up some "Repair Damage" Spells.
Would have to use Mithral Body & Battle Sorcerer, or find some other Way to get rid of ASF-Chance.
Shield & maybe a few Levels of Abjurant Champion could get you a nice AC-Boost.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Warforged Crusader help [scratch this idea starting new one]
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 03:13:17 PM »
DM told me that we already had 2 other people focusing on melee. A paladin and a spiked chain wielding barbarian. But was told there is a distinct lack of offensive spell casting so i'll be going all Tony Stark on that with a blastificier build made to work like iron man.