Author Topic: [3.75] Project Phoenix  (Read 17036 times)

Kerrick

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Project Phoenix wiki
Re: [3.75] Project Phoenix
« Reply #100 on: July 12, 2009, 01:28:20 PM »
Sure, go ahead. I'm kind of burned out after (finally) finishing everything, so I'm taking an extended break.
Project Phoenix. 4E the way it should have been done.

Kerrick

• Project Phoenix wiki
« Reply #101 on: December 12, 2009, 06:28:57 PM »
Wow... that "extended break" turned into a really extended break. I didn't expect to be away from PP that long, but it took a long while to generate any interest/motivation to work on this again. I was even losing interest in D&D in general, due in part to the fact that I haven't played in ages. Long story short, I made some random post on ENWorld that mentioned my fighter, which generated a side debate that turned into a discussion about PP classes (mostly the fighter, but others too), which got me looking at the classes with a hard eye and gave me the urge to work on them some more.

So, here I am, six months (to the day!) later, reviving this thread. I've actually been working on this for the last week or so, but I wanted to get a wider variety of opinions. The main issues about the fighter that were mentioned are the inability to overcome hazards (darkness, invisibility, flying enemies, etc.) and his continued weakness to spells/effects that target the low saves. Along the way, I decided to drop the combat style system and cannibalize it for a more free-form system of selectable class abilities, along with general class abilities that every fighter gets (which are designed to shore up his weak points).

Some other (major) changes that I'm working on:

The barbarian is gone. The fighter and ranger killed him and took his stuff. Rage and greater rage will go to the fighter (and all other rage feats will become part of the Berserker PrC), and the totem abilities go to the ranger as aspects, with some modification (this is still a WIP; I'm mostly concentrating on the fighter first).

The ranger will get expanded favored terrain abilities. This is an idea I just came up with, and I'm unsure how to grant them. The idea here is that you get the basic ability when you choose the terrain, and then one or more advanced abilities at some point in the future - either through a feat (unlikely), by choosing the terrain again, or automatically at some later level. Their bonus archery feats will be replaced with special archery abilities available only to the ranger (or they can choose a ranged weapon feat in place of an ability).

Rogues have a laundry list of new abilities to choose from. This was inspired by someone telling me the rogue was "subpar", so I decided the easiest way to boost their power was to expand their talent pool and make them selectable every other level, with a three-tier system to retain game balance.

I'll post the rogue stuff first, since it's mostly finished; I whipped that out in a few hours, but it's likely got a few balance issues and I'd like to get opinions on it.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 06:34:45 PM by Kerrick »

Kerrick

• Project Phoenix wiki
« Reply #102 on: December 12, 2009, 06:32:56 PM »
For those of you unfamiliar with PP, what I did with most of the classes is create several "ability paths" with tiers, where you can choose from a pool of abilities at certain levels. I did something a little different with the rogue. There are still three paths - offensive (combat), defensive, and utility - but I just expanded their "Special Ability" tree so that they can choose one at every even level (2, 4, 6, etc.), instead of 10th, 13th, 16th, and 19th. I split the abilities up into Lesser, Moderate, and Greater to prevent someone from taking the more powerful abilities at low level, and some abilities, like improved evasion, require a lesser ability to be taken first.

What I ended up with is six abilities for each type; each tier has two of each, for a nice balance. This system can be used for a 3.5 rogue just as easily as a PP one. I whipped this together in a few hours last night and this morning, so it probably has a few balance issues. Feedback is appreciated.

Special Abilities: On attaining 2nd level, and at other levels thereafter (4th, 6th, 8th, etc.), a rogue gains a special ability of her choice from among the following options. These abilities are divided into three tiers: Lesser (1st-6th level), Moderate (7th-12th level), and Greater (13th+ level). A rogue cannot choose a Moderate ability until 7th level, or a Greater ability until 13th; there is otherwise no restriction on which ability she can choose at a given level, though some require lesser abilities (these are noted where applicable).

Lesser Abilities

Bleeding Strike (Ex): If a rogue hits her target with a sneak attack, it creates a wound that continues to bleed, inflicting 1 hit point of damage for 5 rounds or until the wound is bound or healed, whichever comes first. Wounds from successive sneak attacks stack.

Evasion (Ex): A rogue can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If she makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the rogue is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless rogue does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Hamstring (Ex): By sacrificing 1 or more dice of sneak attack damage, the rogue can inflict a movement penalty on her target with a successful sneak attack. Each die of damage sacrificed equals a 5-foot penalty to movement speed, which lasts for 1d4 rounds. Successive uses of this ability extend the duration.

Master Acrobat (Ex): The rogue can move along narrow surfaces (a beam, tightrope, etc.) at his normal speed without penalty, and he retains his AC bonus.

Signature Weapon: The rogue gains proficiency in one martial weapon of her choice, and she gains a +1 bonus to attack rolls made with that weapon. At 7th level and above, she can choose an exotic weapon provided she fulfills the prerequisites. [in PP, I dropped the EWP feat, but made most exotic weapons have stat requirements to wield properly; all the others were made into martial weapons].

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): A rogue can react to danger before her senses would normally allow her to do so. She retains her Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if she is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, she still loses her Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.

If a rogue already has uncanny dodge from a different class, she automatically gains improved uncanny dodge (see below) instead.

Moderate Abilities

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): The rogue can no longer be flanked. This defense denies another rogue the ability to sneak attack the character by flanking her, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target does.

If a character already has uncanny dodge (see above) from a second class, she automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum rogue level required to flank her.

The rogue must already have Uncanny Dodge to choose this ability.

Improved Evasion (Ex): This ability works like evasion, except that while the rogue still takes one-quarter damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks, henceforth she takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless rogue does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Master Prestidigitator (Ex): The rogue can make Sleight of Hand checks to hide things on her person as a free action without the normal -20 penalty, or to remove an object from someone else (pick someone's pocket) as a move action. She can attempt to pick someone's pocket as a free action with a -10 penalty.

Opportunist (Ex): Once per round, the rogue can make an attack of opportunity against an opponent who has just been struck for damage in melee by another character. This attack counts as the rogue's attack of opportunity for that round. Even a rogue with the Combat Reflexes feat can't use the opportunist ability more than once per round.

Skill Mastery: The rogue becomes so certain in the use of certain skills that she can use them reliably even under adverse conditions.

Upon gaining this ability, she selects a number of skills equal to 3 + her Intelligence modifier. When making a skill check with one of these skills, she can take 10 even if stress and distractions would normally prevent her from doing so. A rogue can gain this special ability multiple times, selecting additional skills for it to apply to each time.

Twist the Blade (Ex): The rogue automatically deals +1d4 points of damage when wielding a weapon with which she is proficient. This bonus applies only once per round, but if the rogue wields two weapons, it applies to each. This bonus damage stacks with sneak attacks and is added on after critical hits are calculated.

Greater Abilities

Bonus Feat: The rogue can take a bonus feat in place of a special ability. She must still qualify for the feat normally.

Chink in the Armor (Ex): The rogue can find weaknesses in an opponent's defenses. In effect, she can bypass 5 points of DR when making a sneak attack.

Crippling Strike (Ex): A rogue with this ability can sneak attack opponents with such precision that her blows weaken and hamper them. An opponent damaged by one of her sneak attacks also takes 2 points of Strength damage. Ability points lost to damage return on their own at the rate of 1 point per day for each damaged ability.

Defensive Roll (Ex): The rogue can roll with a potentially lethal blow to take less damage from it than she otherwise would. Once per day, when she would be reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by damage in combat (from a weapon or other blow, not a spell or special ability), the rogue can attempt to roll with the damage. To use this ability, the rogue must attempt a Reflex saving throw (DC = damage dealt). If the save succeeds, she takes only half damage from the blow; if it fails, she takes full damage. She must be aware of the attack and able to react to it in order to execute her defensive roll - if she is denied her Dexterity bonus to AC, she can't use this ability. Since this effect would not normally allow a character to make a Reflex save for half damage, the rogue's evasion ability does not apply to the defensive roll.

Master Con Artist (Ex): The rogue is an accomplished liar. She gains a +6 competence bonus to Bluff and Disguise checks. Additionally, the rogue can attempt to foil any spell that determines truth or lies (discern lies, zone of truth, etc.). In effect, the spell must make a save (DC 10 + caster level) vs. DC 10 + 1/2 the rogue's class level + the rogue's Cha modifier. If the save fails, the spell doesn't determine the lie.

Slippery Mind (Ex): This ability represents the rogue's ability to wriggle free from magical effects that would otherwise control or compel her. If a rogue with slippery mind is affected by an enchantment spell or effect and fails her saving throw, she can attempt it again 1 round later at the same DC. She gets only this one extra chance to succeed on her saving throw.