Author Topic: Final Fantasy fora?  (Read 2546 times)

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Final Fantasy fora?
« on: April 19, 2009, 01:06:48 PM »
It's a long shot, but here goes:

Does anyone know of a Final Fantasy forum (right now replaying FFVI) where people are quire knowledgable about the ingame mechanics? Preferably one where they also know how to spell. The only one I know of is www.ffonline.com, but for some dark reason, I can't register there.

Thanks in advance!

Kari

• Curious George
    • Email
Re: Final Fantasy fora?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 06:47:19 PM »
The forums for the various games at GameFAQs are often useful (although sometimes hit-or-miss on the spelling thing.) But for at least some of the games, they've got full FAQs up on the game mechanics themselves (such as this one).

Besides that, I wouldn't know, I'm afraid. I'm sure there are some out there... somewhere.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 06:58:07 PM »
I'm kind of afraid of the GameFAQs fora, since they tend to be a tad ... young.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 07:51:08 PM »
I might be able to give you a hand with things. I did some modding for FF6 a while back, and I practically have the game memorized (it and Chrono Trigger were my 2 favorite games growing up, so...)
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 08:38:19 AM »
Oh! Crono Trigger! Probably the best thing the SNES has given us!

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 08:58:11 PM »
I'm more of an Ogre Battle guy myself. Too bad Square-Enix bought out Quest so I'll probably never see another Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre game again.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 09:02:39 AM »
Bauglir, do you have any idea how the damage from the Tools and Blitzes is calculated? Thanks!

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 09:25:37 PM »
I didn't, but then I looked up the answers. Turns out all the algorithms and data have been worked out. The relevant pages are here and here.

The damage algorithm is 7 to 9 steps long and each Blitz and Tool has different values, so it'd probably be more effective to use those documents.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 08:52:57 AM »
Thanks. Checking them out now.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 09:48:52 PM »
Cool, cool. Thanks for spurring the interest, actually, I'd never realized it was that complicated. Hm, I feel like trying to compress the damage algorithm into one equation just to see what it looks like...

(((Battle Power + (((Level)(Level)(2(Vigor)+Battle Power))/256)3/2)+(Damage Multiplier)(Battle Power + (((Level)(Level)(2(Vigor)+Battle Power))/256)3/2)/2)([224...255]/256)+1)(255-Target Defense)/256)+1

Holy shit, let's simplify that...
((255-Defense)/256)(([224...255]/256)(Battle Power + 3(Level^2)(2(Vigor)) + Battle Power)/512 + (Damage Multiplier)(Battle Power + 3(Level^2)(2(Vigor)) + Battle Power)/1024)) + 1) + 1

Well... it's slightly simpler. I suppose this is the major advantage computer games have over tabletops; the ability to incorporate large numbers of variables in complex ways to generate a more balanced system, numerically speaking.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 12:57:48 PM »
Cool. I always wandered wether it'd be beneficial to equip Edgar with better weapons. Turns out it isn't.
I'm taking Sabin, Celes and Terra in my final team. Who'd you recommend for the final member? Edgar is the most plausible candidate right now.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 02:25:00 PM »
Aren't there 3 final teams? It might be more efficient to list who you aren't taking. Also, it depends on how powerful each of your party members is; obviously a level 99 Locke dual-wielding Atma Weapons with an Offering will want to go, for instance.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 02:29:14 PM »
I hate the three final teams. I just one to take one.
I equip one of them with the Moogle Charm, so that they don't encounter anything.
The second will probably get the Charm Bangle to get a reduced encounter rate and go up against the Dragon.
The final one will be facing Kefka.

The final one will also be the one that I use the entire game (or as much as possible.) That's the team I'm referring to.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 11:58:54 PM »
Ah, ok. Edgar sounds good; his tools are useful till near the endgame, at which point he can do just fine on magic and equipment. Shadow's also possible, if you have high-damaging gear to throw, plus Interceptor's random appearances are never bad. Can't remember how that works after Interceptor dies, though... Although I often take Shadow just cause I always liked him. Edgar's probably the best, statwise. Although Magicite makes a mess out of that, so you can pretty much do whatever you want.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2009, 06:35:30 AM »
Thanks for the reply. Yes, Magicite makes a mess. I'll confess that I'm too lazy to keep track of who has which Magicite at the moment they're going to level, switch it around, and afterwards switch it back again to keep learning spells.
Cyan is nice as well, but his techs take so damn long to charge up.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2009, 07:03:23 AM »
There's the FFShrine forums, which has a section devoted to several of the various installments. Most people use it for music downloads though, as their Requests forum is the largest part of their page.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2009, 07:04:48 AM »
Thanks, this will come in handy.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2009, 01:43:53 PM »
I generally am too lazy, as well. I usually focus on learning the spells; in fact, it was only a year or two ago that I actually noticed that magicite AFFECTED your stats at level up.