Author Topic: Origins of an Archetype: Spells Channelled Through Weapons  (Read 3619 times)

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
Origins of an Archetype: Spells Channelled Through Weapons
« on: April 17, 2009, 05:36:08 PM »
Full disclosure: I'm working on a story/novel/saga/epic 'thing' with a major character who fits this archetype.  I'm researching the trope to be well-versed enough in it to avoid whole-cloth reinvention of the wheel OR inadvertent plagiarism.

I'm trying to dig up references in literature - with or without a capital L - that exemplify this popular gish trope.  D&D is rife with examples, from Spellsword to Raumathari battlemage and more, but I'm not exceptionally familiar with fictional examples of this from outside the D&D realm.  'Spells' in the subject line can be translated as 'energies of non-mundane origin', not just Arcane or Divine magic.

There's the Tiger & Del trilogy by Jennifer Roberson, which has some similarities.  There's Tatewaki Kuno from the manga Ranma 1/2, and a couple other anime references that I'm not familiar with, I'm sure.  Anime references are fine, but I'd prefer to focus on examples in print.

Thoughts?
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: Origins of an Archetype: Spells Channelled Through Weapons
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 05:52:34 PM »
Well, Eragon does this a few times - he discovered his magic by channeling a fireball spell through an arrow. At the end of the book he pulls off a Flaming Sword for no particular reason.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 06:08:26 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 06:08:00 PM »
Well, Eragon does this a few times - he discovered his magic by channeling a fireball spell through an arrow. At the end of the book he pulls off a Blazing Sword for no particular reason.
  :puke Oh, dear gawds.  As long as I don't read any more of them than the back covers and reviews, hopefully I can avoid sounding derivative of that cliche-fest.

Thanks for the quick reply, Prime.  Other references, I hope? 
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 06:14:50 PM »
Mace Windu?

If anyone was a BAMF enough to do it, it would have been Mace Windu.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 06:22:16 PM »
Well, Eragon does this a few times - he discovered his magic by channeling a fireball spell through an arrow. At the end of the book he pulls off a Blazing Sword for no particular reason.
  :puke Oh, dear gawds.  As long as I don't read any more of them than the back covers and reviews, hopefully I can avoid sounding derivative of that cliche-fest.
Oh, they aren't as bad as some people make them out to be. Actually, the third book suffered from Paolini awkwardly trying to make things less like Star Wars.

Solo, I know you hate it and haven't read it, so don't say anything. :p
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 06:23:47 PM by Prime32 »
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Solo

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 06:24:55 PM »
I have not infact said anything about how Eragon is a steaming pile of offal. Nor to I intend to comment on it's derivative and unimaginative quality. I shall keep such off topic remarks, such as the opinion that it is best used to line birdcages alongside the New York Times - that liberal rag - out of this thread, for it is no place to taint with surreptitious mentions of Paolini's pugnacious plagiarism, this forum of words wherein most sacred dialog is exchanged in order to better facilitate the creation of ideas for the expressed benefit of our comrades in gaming.

Now if you excuse me, it is spring and my allergies are acting up. I fear that, due to the pollen, I shall be shedding many single tears.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 06:36:36 PM by Solo »

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 06:33:04 PM »
Mace Windu?

If anyone was a BAMF enough to do it, it would have been Mace Windu.
The Jedi/Sith do have some similarities to the archetype, to be sure, and Mace Windu pwns.  Generally, when I think of the way they're portrayed in the movies (I'm unaware of their style of portrayal in the Timothy Zahn novels, just of those novels' existence), they use the Telekinetic Force powers or Dark Side Lightning with a free hand, rather than through the light saber.  I know the light saber itself is technically a manifestation of their control of the midichlorians Force.  To me, that's still an important differential.  Perhaps I'm splitting hairs. 

I have not infact said anything about how Eragon is a steaming pile of offal. Nor to I intend to comment on it's derivative and unimaginative quality. I shall keep such off topic remarks, such as the opinion that it is best used to line birdcages alongside the New York Times -that liberal rag - out of this thread.

:lmao

I made a Handbook!?

Solo

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 06:35:19 PM »
I actually added to it while you were quoting. Does that count as Ninja-ing, Batman-ing, or Superman-ing?

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 06:44:14 PM »
Gourry's Sword of Light from Slayers can do this, though someone else has to cast the spell into it for him. It also amplifies the power of the spell. And he can sometimes absorb spells which are being used to attack him and fire them back at his opponent.
My work

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 06:48:05 PM »
I actually added to it while you were quoting. Does that count as Ninja-ing, Batman-ing, or Superman-ing?
Solo-ing.

Gourry's Sword of Light from Slayers can do this, though someone else has to cast the spell into it for him. It also amplifies the power of the spell. And he can sometimes absorb spells which are being used to attack him and fire them back at his opponent.
Ah, one of the 'couple other anime references' I alluded to originally.  Thank you.

I made a Handbook!?

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 06:53:40 PM »
I started a You Know That Thing Where at TVTropes - that should get you some more examples. :D

Ah, one of the 'couple other anime references' I alluded to originally.  Thank you.
I have no idea what you're talking about.  :whistle

Slayers is a series of novels. :p
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 07:00:06 PM by Prime32 »
My work

sendmeanewid

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 07:14:30 PM »
Off the top of my head, the most direct analogy is that of a ritual implement, like a wand or a staff (the staff example seems somewhat weaponlike), examples of which are common throughout many cultures.

As for actual weapons which are ritual implements, the oldest examples I can recall would be either a vajra or a phurba.  The phurba is probably closest prototype to the "channel spell" idea.

Vajra
Phurba

Hope this helps.

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 07:52:18 PM »
The Chinese deities had access to a sword that shoots lightning-bolts, and Zeus uses lightning bolts as javelins.
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 12:10:12 PM »
The Chinese deities had access to a sword that shoots lightning-bolts.
The Four Heavenly Kings are actually mirrored in the world I'm working on, so this reference is especially apropos.  Lei Gong's thunder hammer is also a parallel to the archetype I'm researching.  Looks like I'll be spending some more time on Chinese mythology.

Other sources of the trope?

I made a Handbook!?

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 03:38:48 PM »
The Four Heavenly Kings are actually mirrored in the world I'm working on, so this reference is especially apropos.  Lei Gong's thunder hammer is also a parallel to the archetype I'm researching.  Looks like I'll be spending some more time on Chinese mythology.

Well that depends on whether you want spells cast through weapons or weapons which cast spells.
My work

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2009, 03:45:18 PM »

Well that depends on whether you want spells cast through weapons or weapons which cast spells.
Either, though the character I envisage would be defined best as 'casts spells through his weapon, exclusively' - as if his weapon were the only material component he knew how to use, or a holy symbol.

I made a Handbook!?

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2009, 04:01:56 PM »
There were some Celtic weapons that shot fire and lightning, though I'm not entirely clear on which (I believe they were spears).
My work

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2009, 09:17:27 AM »
Everything in here probably counts. Theres also the ritual wooden swords used by some Taoist priests, those probably count too, though they are usually used to hit Not Human things like ghosts and demons and as spell focus in general.

EDIT: Ah, theres the material type, Peach wood swords
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 09:26:45 AM by veekie »
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."