Author Topic: An Odd request....  (Read 2992 times)

Mushroom

• Curious George
    • Email
An Odd request....
« on: April 13, 2009, 07:45:28 PM »
My friend and I were chatting about DnD, he had informed me one of our DMs was wanting me to jump into his campaign with him, my friend, and a few people I don't know. I, of course, accepted and began contemplating my character. Somehow, my friend had brought up familiars and how cool the imp was. Through some bargaining with the DM, he was allowed to have a familiar with his warlock. He then decided as his 16th feat, to take Improved familiar. I began thinking, "Man, familiars are so damned cool" and it hit me. I wanted to play as his Imp/Quasit, he love dthe idea and the DM allowed it for the lulz of it all. So, I need some help building a familiar(I'm allowed to gain feats per HD like a normal member of the race)

Any ideas?

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: An Odd request....
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 07:55:25 PM »
I actually did the same thing for one brief campaign, playing as the DMNPC sorcerer's imp familiar whenever I was in for the game (which was once every 10 sessions or so, I was going to college).

I guess the first thing you need to work out would be if you would be a 16HD imp or just a standard one, and if you can take a class or are limited to monster HD.  See if the warlock player will take companion spellbound (C adv?), which will make shared spells work from 30ft away.

I'd make the imp the party scout and skills person, and work wih the lock to have him choose the invocations that he can share with you (invisibility, fly, etc.)  On my imp we shared Shapechange, and then my imp would turn into a balor and terrorize people. 

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 08:09:19 PM »
The quasit/imp has invisibility at will which would be really useful. Also you could turn into a wolf as a quasit but I am not sure if you get the trip ability. Also a useful bit of information is that as an outsider you can use all martial and simple weapons. Given the stats of the creatures I would recommend getting a bow and specializing in archery. Find a way to get sneak attack through feats, possibly using tome of battle martial study/ stance. If you took shadow jaunt and assassin's stance, which I think you could get with two feats (unless racial HD do not count like class levels for initiator level, ask your DM), you get 2d6 sneak attack all the time and 50 ft teleport once per encounter. Combined with invisibility at will that could make you useful. Also make good use of the detect magic at will.

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 08:25:29 PM »
I'm playing a pathfinder sorcerer right now at L12 and my Quasit is almost as strong as I am!  Too bad you can't be a true arcanist's familiar...  Imbue Familiar w/ Spell Ability is freakin' awesome-sauce...

Anyways, I'm core-only, so was looking at the following:
Flyby Attack, Improved Unarmed Strike (pathfinder familiars are stronger), Combat Reflexes (due to a funny ruling by the DM regarding Invisibility and flanking)

I'm sure there's better stuff in Savage Species (fast healing stuff?).

Mushroom

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 08:48:26 PM »
16HD imp
Yep, so I have a few feats to play with (and i can get two flaws)

Party scout was something I had already planned to do while using my cool ass SLA's, however; I also wanna be useful in battle.

mans0011

• Curious George
  • Too much Aizen Hate to go around....
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 09:06:03 PM »
does your warlock have ranks in Use Magic Device? You could use wands and staves.
OOC-well for that matter he could just ride on my sword, that's about 15' ;)
OOC - That's what SHE said!  But, otherwise, that works for me, if you guys are willing.

Bryan_0697

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 09:18:30 PM »
As an Imp or Quasit you also get Alternate form - which can be any medium form with HD equal to your HD (I believe you get two of these), you may only choose them once and at the level you obtain the ability.

As for the 16hd Imp, WHY? The Imp is only ECL 7 then I would take things like rogue or something with sneak attack or sudden strike - something that meshes with the Imp's abilities. If you get 16hd with all those HD being outsider HD then you are laughing - Full BAB, d8 HD, 8+ SP/level - but you won't get any class abilities. Do you get the familair's abilties? aka. Improved evasion etc?

As A tiny character, I should mention that you have to move into somones square in order to attack them and reach weapons only give you a 5' reach. Solving this problem are the two feats from races of the wild: Underfoot Combat, and Confound the Big Folk.

Check these links for tiny character ideas...

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=633443

http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-793912

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 09:58:30 PM »

Mushroom

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 11:14:58 PM »
\ Do you get the familair's abilties? aka. Improved evasion etc?
Yes I do, I can try and get some class levels, but I wouldn't count on it :/ after all, I'm just playing a more customized familiar

does your warlock have ranks in Use Magic Device? You could use wands and staves.
Yes he does  :)

Bryan_0697

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 06:16:05 AM »