Author Topic: Game Policies  (Read 3533 times)

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • /castrandom - even we don't know what it's about
    • Email
Game Policies
« on: May 27, 2008, 07:03:10 PM »
In no particular order, worth keeping around:
  • HP are max at first level. Thereafter, when you level you can choose to take the average (rounding up) or to roll. Once you roll, you can't take it back if you roll poorly, however.
  • Rolls for now are to be on Invisible Castle. Please only roll one character under your game's username, if you're in another campaign, use a new name for this one.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
Re: Game Policies
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 02:10:41 AM »
Please only roll one character under your game's username, if you're in another campaign, use a new name for this one.
So, if I'm in aftercrescent's game and this one, I need two log-in usernames for Invisible Castle?  I can't just list a different character name in a different campaign?  Just making sure I'm understanding you right.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 08:53:20 AM »
So you want everyone to roll? like so?

PS: you can still reroll all your numbers before you save them (like i did :P).... so this method is definitely not cheat-proof
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 09:05:45 AM by Ieniemienie »
'DnD is not a game; it is a membership in a tribe that I joined long ago.'

Stupidity should be painful!

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 08:56:10 AM »

PS: you can still reroll all your numbers before you save them.... so this method is definitely not cheat-proof
Actually, it kind of is, since the GM can check all the rolls you've made :wink
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 08:58:46 AM »

PS: you can still reroll all your numbers before you save them.... so this method is definitely not cheat-proof
Actually, it kind of is, since the GM can check all the rolls you've made :wink
NICE :) I like this method  :)

Is it obligated to roll stats? because I rolled a lot of times and only three times got nice results, 4 times the rolls we so bad the total modifiers were below 0.....

JanusJones

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 09:58:28 AM »
Character creation rules stipulated a 32 point buy, actually.

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 10:45:28 AM »
Yeah, character creation is 32 point buy. HPs are rolled if you want.

You don't have to have two logins for IC, I think you can have multiple campaigns set up under one login name. Meh, whatever works well and naturally is what we'll do. I don't want to overcomplicate things.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 10:54:26 AM »
If you don't mind another intejection, pfooti, the easiest method is probably to have players roll under their character name, such as "Thaile Shilton." Odds are no one else is using that name and since it is solely for this one game, all the rolls will be visible under that name, and referencable for you. That way a player can use his other characters' names for other games.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 11:05:26 AM »
I suppose the 'I roll 4d6-lowest and see if this is better than 32 point-buy' doesn't fly? :P

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
  • Player Resource Consortium
    • Player Resource Consortium
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 11:31:38 AM »
I suppose the 'I roll 4d6-lowest and see if this is better than 32 point-buy' doesn't fly? :P

Somehow, I don't think so.
Arhosa Campaign World - Always Recruiting
Past, Present, and Future
Osteomancy - Rune Magic - Astral Magic
Class and Rule Collection
Player Resource Consortium
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die

JanusJones

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 03:56:08 PM »
These are the CO boards.  Talk like that will get you put in the stocks.   :wink

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 07:42:18 PM »
Pfooti, how would you prefer we note things like paying for an ale, or making social skill rolls.  Would you like rolls just in [ur]url links[/url] within our speaking/action descriptions? Or would you prefer we set them apart somehow?  Perhaps bookending them with asterisks within our speach, or would you prefer having them set aside entirely?

Also, do you want us to post the results of our rolls within our posts? Or just leave the link?

As to the payment of things, maybe just put it in a parenthetical?  For example:

I pay the barkeep for the ale, and bribe him for my extra request (4 cp for ale, 1 gp bribe).

Also, another thought - maybe it would be a good idea to place one's character name (and race/class?) in the subject line of their post, so we can keep everyone straight?

I've only PbP'ed once before, so I'm rusty on the ettiquette, and I know each DM will want it different ways.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 11:21:49 AM »
Yeah, for a while, it would be best if you could all post your character's name and class in the subject line of the post. Or, if you want, change your sig to include the character and a link to your post in the characters thread. It's all optional, and it will work out in the next few weeks. I post from several locations, so it's not practical for me to have a notebook, although I do have a googledoc that I try to keep updated.

Also, on posting guidelines: please try to post Common in bold. Also, try and post in the third person, and either past tense or present tense is fine.

I had to obviate the Bard in that one post, since the little taproom was empty, sorry. In general, though, I'll try and work with posts to fit in little inventions and elaborations like that, as long as they don't conflict with the necessary points of the story.

Also, when making rolls and stuff, it's best if you post the results down at the bottom of your post, either in a quote box or a spoiler block, something like:

Pfooti hands the barkeep an extra gold piece tip and spends some time chatting him up.

Diplomacy (1d20 10=18)

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 11:49:06 AM »
You want us to only speak in black bold?  Or is colored bold ok?

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 11:54:11 AM »
Hmm, I thought I posted this stuff already. I guess part of the problem is restarting a campaign, I forget what I've told to whom. Anyway, language policy:

Different languages will be different colors. Common, Elven, Dwarven, Gnomish, Halfling, Terran, Orcish. Other languages will get colorized as appropriate.

Other stuff, in case I didn't mention it:

Posts must be in 3rd-person (not first person). I prefer past tense when possible, but sometimes it works better with present tense.

In general, posting thoughts, flashbacks, etc, are encouraged and allowed. We know the other players won't know what you're thinking, but it helps give us insight into your character. Don't go crazy, though.

Please post at least daily, and try to wait until after I post to make another post. The exception to that is if you're posting as part of an ongoing conversation with another PC. Then it's fine to keep on rolling. But try and limit yourself to one "thing" per day. The scope of a "thing" depends on if we're in combat or not.

I'd like your posts to be at least 3-5 lines long. That means, instead of "I cast magic missile at the orc", you'll need some description of what you're doing ("traced arcane sigils in the air"), as well as ongoing commentary and discussion with other players.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 01:59:23 PM by pfooti »

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2008, 01:39:22 PM »
In general, make sure your character sheets are up-to-date, even with worn items. Dun Eamon is enough of a rough-and-ready town that people walking around in full plate are rarely given a second glance, so you could go through the streets armed and armored. I will, however, be basing some of the NPC reactions and other stuff on what you all are wearing, so if you're going to leave your armor/weapons or whatever back in the Inn, mention it somewhere and update your character sheet. If the sheet shows you in full plate and you fall in a pit full of water, you're probably going to drown. :P

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2008, 01:48:58 PM »
brown is designated for Terran, which the entire party is supposed to be able to speak

AlisAtAn

• Email
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2008, 06:32:41 PM »
My Mithral chainshirt is under my normal clothing so shouldnt have too much effect on npc reactions. Also it only weighs 6.25 pounds. :P
Odin, Feral Shifter Feral Shifter. "Can I drown the dead rat now?"
Loke, Dread Magnate "Me all good and nice. Ask any questions and I`ll kill you twice."

DnD classes is kind of like art. You make lots of stuff that everyone loves but aint no fun to play. This one is like getting a nude pic of Britney Spears when she was hot above your bed.  Anyone can appreciate it. And it works as it should in practise, not just in theory. -Me to Strato regarding his Elemental