Author Topic: Psion shaper 20 vs. Constructor  (Read 14220 times)

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
Re: Psion shaper 20 vs. Constructor
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2009, 07:03:48 PM »
Since this seems to be the right thread, I'd like to ask how to get the requisite powers for Constructor without being a Shaper. Are there any shortcuts / dirty tricks I can use?
You would have to take 2 expanded knowledge feats. The first one is to get astral construct and the second one is to get psionic repair damage. That eats up 3 of your 5 feats (including boost construct) before level 7 when you can take your first level of constructor just qualifying for the prestige class. But if you are willing to make that investment that would work.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2009, 01:44:57 PM »
Don't forget about research. It takes time, a Psicraft check, and 200 xp per level of the power. And then it adds it to the powers on your class list, which you can take at the next level wherein you gain a manifester level increase.

Or you can ask your DM if he'll let you exchange the prerequisite powers for others, allowing you to qualify with some other power instead, because both powers are...sub-par.

However, you could also use my psionic powers revision, which makes both of them just a TAAAAAD more useful.

(There's also researching a feat that'll give you both protect ectoplasm and psionic repair damage at once, just like the Illithid Legacy and Greater Illithid Legacy feats from CPsi do (though the powers granted by those feats are inarguably better than pe and prd are...)).
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 01:50:38 PM by Lycanthromancer »
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2009, 09:56:46 PM »
Okay after taking a look at hyperconcious I am thinking that a full manifesting Psion can do most of the tricks of the prestige class if in more limited ways. With durable construct feat from hyperconcious would allow a long duration, boost construct makes them tougher, and the personal construct ACF allows free quickening. The only thing that is really lost is the super cheap twining of constructs and I would not make much use of that as too many construct would slow down our already slow gameplay. The Constructor does all of these tricks better but it looses a manifester level the way I plan to build it. So I am trying to figure out which would be better. As this would be the first psionic character I have played I do not know how to properly value manifester levels in comparison the the Constructor's class features. The thing that worries me the most is the slower acquisition of new levels power , which is one of the major flaws of most spontaneous casters except for the psion. I guess augmentation mitigates this but I am not sure. Any advice would be welcome.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2009, 11:42:34 PM »
All you actually lose is 4 powers known, assuming that you take practiced manifester. Those powers are potentially 9th level powers, but as a Constructor, Astral Construct is your 9th level power.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2009, 01:23:09 AM »
I am aware of that, but it does make it so that I gain new the next level of powers one level later than usual. But with practiced manifester that does not matter as much due to augmentation. I think I will stick with constructor.

The current build is as follows any criticism is welcome. I will likely be starting at level 4
Warforged NG
STR 11 DEX 14 CON 18 INT 18 WIS 13 CHA 11
Shaper 6/ Constructor 9/ Shaper 5
1. Psicrystal Affinity, Boost Construct
3. Overchannal
5. Traded for Personal Construct ACF (It provides free quickenings for a specific build of Astral Construct).
6. Practiced Manifester
9. Talented
12. Psionic Meditation
15. Psicrystal Containment
18. Extend power
19. (I have no Idea for this one)